Maybe another baby?

Ok, so I have a little one who was born in April and was 8 weeks prem, as some of you know from previous threads... So the question is, is it too soon to think about trying for another baby in the next few months?

on the one hand, I want to enjoy my baby girl while she is still only young, and worry that having another one so soon will deprive me and her of that. Also the logistics of dealing with two under 2s at once, what with nappies, weaning and baby girl learning to crawl/walk etc.

The flip side is, we want 2 children, probably no more. He is late 30s and I am 33. We conceived straight away last time, which we feel very lucky to have happened. But I'm aware that it may not happen so quickly a second time...and we want a fairly close age gap between them so they can grow up together.

My cycles have been regular since they started post partum, but is it gonna be too much strain on my body, and also for us as a couple emotionally and physically to get pregnant again so quickly?

Any advice from those who have two or more very young children is much appreciated :)

Do it! The sooner the better.
My little boys are 4 years old and 5 months and I wish I'd done it sooner

I had started getting my independence back and having time to myself, and decent sleeps! So I wish I had done it sooner after as it wouldn't have been so much of a shock to the system with the night feeds etc. And they'd be closer in age and therefore have more similar interests

I've already said to hubby that if he wants another then it has to be in the next 18 months lol

My daughters have 2 years and 4 months between them . Was hard when they were young, particularly as oh was working long hours, training and competing alot so I was doing it on my own quite a lot of the time. The age gap seems to work well though - they have NEVER fought or argued and and still get on really well. They're 22 and 20 now xx

There's no right or wrong answer here. Make the decision with your partner and what ever you decide do it for yourselves. Everyone is different so only you will know your situation. Good luck and be happy

Hi,

if you know you definately want another one, then there will be no perfect time / no perfect conditions etc. you never know how long it will take to concieve, and whilst it may be extra work at this end, you will be through the "initial nappy / sick / etc" stages sooner.

when we were deciding whether to have our third, the only question was if we wanted another baby or not, all the other factors will just find a way to work out.

all the best whichever way you choose.

Thanks everyone for the advice so far, it is a difficult choice, as our little one gave us a shock by coming so early, and we only moved house last Nov whilst pregnant with her. But, my mum reckons having me and my brother closish together (I'm about 2 and half yrs older than him) was good, and my OH and his brother only have 15months between them. They are pretty close.

My own brother had my niece and nephew about 7 yrs apart which I think is too big an age gap.

Money wise, OH is main earner. My salary literally 'pocket money' for little extras. I would leave my job if we had 2nd, as I only work part time, in a very low income job. Commuting is nearly an hour each way, by car. Child-care would need to be free otherwise it wouldn't pay me to work... Only free care I would get is from my mum, and she is already looking after my niece and nephew, so would never ask her to look after 2 of mine as well.

i am currently leaning towards bite the bullet (!) and just go for it, but need to wait a month as have some health checks I need to have first. Also would want to start pre-natal vitamins before trying...

If you think you can handle it do it.

I have a 12 month old am I'm due in Sept me and my sibling have 5 years between us all and we aren't very close. I say go for it! X

Honestly, if you think it's the right thing to do for you then I'd say go for it :)

We're trying for our first atm, but we've already decided that we want 2 kids fairly close together. I'm the youngest, There's 5 years between me and my middle sister, and 8 years between me and my oldest sister. It was great while we were all young but then those two grew up and for a few years I felt left behind. On the other hand, it probably is quite hard work looking after lots of little ones so it's all down to personal choice and what you feel you can handle :)

Thanks guys, it's something I'm still very much thinking about...not sure if OH is as keen on idea. He's been pretty tired lately. Think he just needs a holiday really, but he's been using odd days here are there to help me out initially when he went back to work, and also with some follow up hospital appointments for little one. He has a week off in Sept, and we're going away for a few days. Going to drop little one and fur baby with his mum and then have 2 nights to ourselves in a hotel. Will be so nice to have meals without interruptions and lie ins, though I know we'll miss both baby girl and the dog.

i really wish now, I'd had kids 5 or 10 years ago, when I was younger. Not that I'm over the hill so to speak, but it would have perhaps been easier when we both had more energy! Though I think in some ways waiting was a good thing as I got to do stuff for me and him first, such as buying house, having a 'career' (which didn't work out at all how I'd hoped, due to 2 redundancies for me, and then some temp work followed by a job that left me disillusioned with working in science, so I decided to have a career break and finish my Masters.)

We've also got married and done some traveling to places I've loved going to. I think also emotionally, I needed longer to get ready for babies than perhaps he did, although I wanted to get married earlier than him. It's so wierd. I used to think the whole 'biological clock' thing was so cliche, but it really does feel like all of a sudden in past year or so, my body/mind is starting to say 'want babies...now!' Lol ![](upload://ceipqBTR0sMGMajGRWRbxCi6nYV.gif)

We have twins at 8 and a little one at 10 months old my OH had wanted another for a while but i was against it but slowly came round to the idea and i must say it was the best decision we have made together wish we had done it sooner to kids are such a joy and blessing in life so if you feel the times right then go for it☺

Hi Luv bunny, there is a good chance you would fall pregnant quite quickly as after having a baby your body is highly fertile. How are you coping with your litte girl? Is she doing ok? If you think you could cope being pregnant and looking after your litte girl then go for it, why wait the closer in age the better I think. Just remember when baby number two comes along it will be more difficult.

I have twin boys they are nearly five and they are great friends, they do argue occasionally, but they have great fun together. When I think back to when they were babies I don't know how I coped some days, but you just get on with it and juggle it somehow lol.

Just make sure you have your health checks, and you are feeling well. Good luck and keep up posted x

Leila K and HornyCouple, wow you each have twins!!

thanks for the advice both of you. Baby girl is doing great, she is gaining weight really well, she must be about 5kg or more by now...and nearly 19 weeks old, (11weeks corrected age).

She is smiling and starting to make baby talk, and likes looking at her toys and around at what is happening. We have a check up on Friday with the neonatal consultant.

Thats great luv bunny my twins were 7 weeks prem and are doing great now i know its a worrying time but babies are little fighters and before you know it she will be running around after you

Some great advice given here. Threads like this make me love the forum :)

I say do your health checks, start taking your pre-vits and go for it. I believe that everything happens for a reason, when the time is right things will happen. 

No one can say how long it will take for you to conceive plus you have the 9 months of pregnancy, so you will have plenty of time to get things in place and ready.

If you both are sure you want another then why wait? A mentioned above there is never a perfect time, you just learn to work things out :)

I hope it all works out for you guys.

x

Speaking as a dad, children are a joy. I have four. 3 girls and a boy. The oldest two were born within 20 months of each other and a gap of 2 years between the younger two. As others have said, somehow you find a way to cope but the positives far outweigh the negatives. All I will say is enjoy them when their young the years fly by so quickly and before you know it they have flown the nest. My eldest has flown all the way to Australia and now has 4 children of her own. She was so happy with her childhood she wanted to replicate the experience and her eldest two were born within a short period and likewise for the younger two. The other joy of course is that children then give you grandchildren, I have 10 and love them all dearly.

If it feels right for you then yes go for it!!! ![](upload://ez5kOkpKXRZOxjavAURYmQxVTau.gif)

What everyone else has said really but I would add an air of caution. It takes a year for your body to recover from pregnancy and if you get pregnant during this time you are at higher risk of prem delivery and complications in the pregnancy.
Having said that, I did it. Good luck x

Lovehoney - Cazz wrote:

I say do your health checks, start taking your pre-vits and go for it. I believe that everything happens for a reason, when the time is right things will happen.

No one can say how long it will take for you to conceive plus you have the 9 months of pregnancy, so you will have plenty of time to get things in place and ready.

If you both are sure you want another then why wait? A mentioned above there is never a perfect time, you just learn to work things out :)

x

I've already bought the folic acid/vit D supplements! Yes, I also think if something is meant to happen, then it will.

Hope you're getting on alright with your pregnancy Cazz? Is the sickness any better? My little one gave me sickness on Mothers Day! And that was just a few weeks before she was born, and turned our lives upside down, but all for the better!

poppycat wrote:

What everyone else has said really but I would add an air of caution. It takes a year for your body to recover from pregnancy and if you get pregnant during this time you are at higher risk of prem delivery and complications in the pregnancy.
Having said that, I did it. Good luck x

Having already had a prem (8 weeks) with my first, I did see somewhere about there supposedly being a higher risk of prem baby with a second one so soon, but given that I've been through that already, we would be better prepared to deal with it if it happened again, and I think there may be extra monitoring in place...

How prem was yours Poppycat?

Luv bunny wrote:

Lovehoney - Cazz wrote:

x

I've already bought the folic acid/vit D supplements! Yes, I also think if something is meant to happen, then it will.

Hope you're getting on alright with your pregnancy Cazz? Is the sickness any better? My little one gave me sickness on Mothers Day! And that was just a few weeks before she was born, and turned our lives upside down, but all for the better!

I'm now 17 weeks and am still sick every day, multiple times. Have had it since I was 6 weeks. I feel very drained of it now. I'm hoping it will pass very soon.

x