minimoon or honeymoon?

We are getting married later this year and looking at honeymoon plans. After the wedding we wont exactly be flush with cash we think we will have around the £400 pound mark. We cant decide if we should spend that on a couple of days in a lodge near to home straight after the wedding or save it for a bigger better honeymoon later on.
What did the other married couples do for their honeymoon or what have the other bride and grooms planned for after their weddings.

We went after the wedding - did a week in Lanzarote in a luxury villa, but to be fair, we had been saving for a quite a while, and instead of having your typical wedding registry, we just asked everyone if they would contribute to the holiday (so rather than buying us gifts, they bought us dinner one night in a restaurant, or paid for an excursion etc).

But to be honest, you could do whatever you want. In fact, I've known quite a few people who have just had a little weekend away after the wedding and saved up for a honeymoon a few months later. Do whatever you want! It's your wedding x

Well I don't really believe in marriage to be honest, so i'm thinking money wise... take a short break and maybe save up for that 'trip of a lifetime' together, down the line. Plus you won't really be noticing much beyond each other just after the big day :)

amandammmm wrote:

My sister had a wedding that cost £500 total. The honeymoon was only £75, she had a weekend away in a b&b in an area she loved to visit. Her new husband isn't from this country so he got to see it all for the first time.

I think it's more about you two as a couple rather than how much money it costs, if you want to have a holiday in the uk, then go for it!! Go with your heart, if you want to save up and go abroad then go for it! Honeymoons don't need to be straight after the wedding, it's your day, your marriage, it's up to you!! ;)

Currently looking at alittle lodge with a hot tub about 20 miles from home. £500 is good going the church is charging us more than that.

I would definitely do the weekend away, there will be plenty of time in the furture to plan and save for a bigger holiday away. But being together after the wedding, for some private time away form normal life will be lovely. Being married isn't about the big wedding and the fancy holiday, it's so much more important just to enjoy in being in love and together x

Good luck with the wedding.

But I think whether it's in Skegness or in the Seychelles, you will be happy just having that private time with each other.

Some people ask for contributions to a fund for their honeymoon as their wedding gifts. Makes sense if you already have a toaster and all that. :-) Can be done through a travel agents too, so you don't know how much any specific gift is for.

rose hip wrote:

Some people ask for contributions to a fund for their honeymoon as their wedding gifts. Makes sense if you already have a toaster and all that. :-) Can be done through a travel agents too, so you don't know how much any specific gift is for.

This is exactly what we're doing. We're getting married in October and everything we save is going into the wedding. We're asking people who want to give us gifts for cash gifts to contribute to a honeymoon fund otherwise we wouldn't get one. Our family are actually relieved not to have to think of gifts.

We got married at Christmas and haven't had a honeymoon yet. Planning in booking something for the summer but decided it wasn't the right time to go away in December as our youngest daughter is only 10 months.
To be honest I didn't feel like I missed out on anything, so if you have to wait a little while to save up it's not a big deal.
My advice is that if you don't need much for the house, ask for money as a wedding gift instead. Most people I know prefer to give money now a days anyway because that way they can give exactly what they can afford unlike when you go to look at a wedding gift lost and the items are our of your price range . At least this was what all my friends said when we discussed it over coffee one day.
If you plan for a mini moon Keep a look on groupon. They do cheap weekends in Rome, Venice, Paris etc. That way you can get away and it sounds slightly more glamorous than a weekend in the Yorkshire dales etc.

We are just finishing a house renovation so can't spare too much as we need to get a lot of house stuff. I think we may do a couple of nights in a localish lodge with a hot tub. No worries for a few days and hopefully no clothes either. Except for a few sexy little numbers.

When i got married (divorced now) we were short of cash so we stayed in a hotel in the model village,the currency was smaller so it lasted longer(sorry just having a silly one)

I'd say minimoon. So romantic!

I'd go for minimoon, that's what me and the OH did and was loads of fun! There are loads of romantic cottages around too, I think we are planning a break in one this year which has a indoor hottub and sauna!

We did the whole honeymoon blow out and looking back it might have been extravagant but feck it you're only married once (all going well).

On the subject of contributions, we asked for money in place of wedding presents and its something I regret and a source of embarrassment. I think its a pretty crass vulgar thing to do in hindsight we put people under pressure.