Monthly

Hi not sure if this post is appropriate I am a 43 year old woman my question is how long do you have your period for. I seem to be having mine for about 6 to 7 days. any advice woukd be grateful

Heya AWB1955,

May I ask what is the concern with this, has it suddenly changed recently?

6 to 7 days seems fine to me and no concern unless you have some underlying concerns you wish to air?

Mine are dependent on medication so I'm not a good judge but 6-7 days is not unusual from what I know BUT what's important is what's usual for you, if things have changed that's when to see your GP.

Anywhere from 3-4 days, usually.

It used to be a week, like you, before I got sterilised (for personal reasons).

I'm still quite heavy though and get awful pains the first couple of days, not to mention the horrible mood swings a week, or even 2 before!! ☹

I hate having my period, it's so inconvenient. 😤 x

If you are worried though, if you could explain more on here, and also see your GP as 'Amy' says.

(BTW, just tried to post on here 2 mins ago and it went to 'this is not the page you are looking for', glad it's ok now! Thanks Leanne x)

I don’t have them anymore (amenorrhea from anorexia) but when I did they used to last around ten days. It sucked. Six to seven days is fairly common I believe. It varies from person to person though.

My mother for example used to have hers for four to five days but she’s now in pre-menopause (she’s a couple of years older than you) and is having them for around a week at a time. If your time frames have changed then it could be worth a trip to the gp just to ease your concerns x

I think 5-7 days is pretty normal. It takes me a good 6/7 days to totally stop. But I do have random months where it could only last 3/4 .. I think everyone is different & so can every aunt flow

Thanks for the comments its seems my period last longer since I had an implant

Hi there, mine last approx 6-7 days. Occasionally they may be a little longer or shorter but 6-7 is the norm for me xx

Hi Scorpius just accepted you as a friend thanks for the request

Hi Scorpius just accepted you as a friend thanks for the request

AWB1955 wrote:

I can not comment from experience as I have never had the implant, but I would imagine it would have an impact on your monthlys.

Cycles are generally 28 to around 35 days, but some people will fall out of the bracket too. Bleeding between 3 - 7 days as standard. But again everyone is individual and some months can be different from external factors, one being stress.

A quick chat with a GP will help clarify if changes are due the inplant too.

AWB1955 wrote:

I had this experience with my second implant. My periods would last anywhere between 3 - 6 weeks at a time. NOT fun.

When I realised it was the implant, I had it out right away.

Now I have the Mirena coil, I don't get periods anymore.

As everyone else has said, if you have a conern, go and speak to your GP to be absolutley sure you're healthy.

The good old NHS choices website states with the implant that ‘your periods may become irregular, lighter, heavier or longer’. Personally 6-7 days doesn’t sound excessive but as everyone has said talk to your GP for further reassurance.

From my partners experience it seems 6-7 days is right but some light spotting before or after, the cramping seems to disappear after 5 days near the end of the cycle. One of my partners had the implant and that did really mess up her cycle and would last up to 10-12 days and be a lot more painful and heavier, she went back to the combined pill and things seemed to settle again. I would say 6-7 days seems the average though but if your concerned to speak to a doctor as it could be a change in your contraception is needed.

So it would totally depend on what is 'right' for you and your body. I have always had problems with my periods. I either dont get them at all, or I get them briefly, or I get them for a long time and very heavy.

The implant will absolutely mess with your cycle. For me, It made me bleed none stop so I took it out. Everyone is different

Before I got my Mirena (which stopped everything completely), I had been 5/6 days for years, so 6/7 doesn't sound excessive to me.

Mirenas do slow down or stop periods for a lot of women, so would that be an option for you?

Thanks for all the advice. Will be talking to my GP

Before my Implant, my periods were about 5-7 days long. So this doesn't sound too long to me.

My periods since then just seem to be completely random. The longest one I've had was 2 months long none stop and that only stopped because I took the Pill with it. But now if I get one at all it's about 7 days long give or take.