Can we talk about... late periods?

Morning all!

So my period is now a week late! My last one was the 6th August (that too was 3 days late). I have taken 2 pregnancy tests (one of which I'm looking at now - negative) and no joy. I've had a bit of cramping, and a bit of very very light brown discharge, and my skin has gone nuts.

Not sure what to do! Some of you may remember a few weeks ago my huge health scare when they thought I had a bleed on the brain and had to go for tests, could the stress of that cause lateness? I've started working out at the gym alot, could this shock my body? Im 2nd week in and have been doing high intensity stuff and have been going about 3-4 times a week.

Any ideas? Anyone had the same? I'm not on any contraception- we use condoms as I stopped taking the pill because the side effects were driving me mad. This was about 6 months ago.

Thanks all. X

Both mental stress and a negative energy balace (you have lost weight) can affect your ovulation and make it irregular/absent and therefore your change your mentruation pattern. So you being late could possibly be caused by stress or weight loss.

A pregnancy test requires that you have been fertilized three weeks earlier and if you are only one week late, that might mean that it was barely three weeks ago and might not show yet. If I were you I would take a second one in a week just to be sure. :)

And another thing - Have you had regular menstruations since you stopped being on the pill?

Sxleksaker wrote:

And another thing - Have you had regular menstruations since you stopped being on the pill?

Not really no. They've been a bit all over the place, but I've never missed one. If no luck, I'll take another in a week. Thanks x

Stress can really mess up your cycle. I would suggest going to your GP for a check up though, just to be on the safe side. Sending lots of hugs xx

Its one of those things where you try not to stress about it which causes even more stress isn't it? Stress does so much to our bodies. As Sxleksaker says, give it a week and test again. If you grow more concerned have a wee chat to your gp.

Coming off the pill , stress, starting a new fitness regime and the other problem you had with the suspected bleed on the brain can all play havoc with your menstrual cycle .
As Scorpius suggested maybe a trip to the doctor might be needed just for a check up ....it could set your mind at rest x

Personally I have a very sensitive period. Stress, sickness, increased exercise and change of environment all affect it. I've had months where the discharge you decribe has just replaced a period. Since you've said that your period is generally quite irregular it's probably nothing to be worried about, but as others have said the only way you can be sure is a trip to the GP or sexual health clinic. xx

Okies so following all the advice, gone to gp and done a sample. Will hear back tomorrow as it gets sent off the the lab. Started the ball rolling, here's hoping everything's fine and im not pregnant.

sugarboobies2232 wrote:

Okies so following all the advice, gone to gp and done a sample. Will hear back tomorrow as it gets sent off the the lab. Started the ball rolling, here's hoping everything's fine and im not pregnant.

I don't think your pregnant because the pregnancy tests are very accurate these days .

mysteron wrote:

sugarboobies2232 wrote:

I don't think your pregnant because the pregnancy tests are very accurate these days .

Fingers crossed im not. It's the last thing I want at the moment, as awful as that sounds.

Has a major change happened in your life? I remember moving house and skipping my period for a month entirely. And I was a virgin at the time so I definitely wasn't pregnant. If not, all I can say is visit the GP and maybe try to destress. If you're stressed you'll only delay it further.

Banannabelsplit wrote:

Has a major change happened in your life? I remember moving house and skipping my period for a month entirely. And I was a virgin at the time so I definitely wasn't pregnant. If not, all I can say is visit the GP and maybe try to destress. If you're stressed you'll only delay it further.

I had a big health scare a few weeks ago, other than that, no. I've started the ball rolling now at the GPS so hope everything comes back fine x

My Mrs skipped a complete period but we put that down to her age as she is older than you but she got very stressed up at the time as her works were altering conditions at work etc of which she wsn't happy about and also her mother was in hospital as well of which we thought the worse at the time. Thankfully she did make a full recovery. So I am guessing other factors could have caused you to be late .

I haven't had a period since last December. My daughter was born in November and I had a period the month after. I then got the implant and haven't had once since. Beforehand I was never having them regularly either. I did visit the doctor about it a few times but they were never very helpful. More of a 'nothing to worry about' attitude was given then any help.

They did identify that I have PCOS but said it really doesn't affect me that much. I was told it may be harder to have kids but I'm not too worried about that after my first. I asked for them to check whether pregnancy had done anything to help with PCOS (I know another girl had it before her pregnancy and the cists amazingly disappeared afterwards) but they said that's not something they would do.

Unfortunately that means I never really got any clarification on why my periods are so out of wack. I wouldn't worry so much about late ones. Little things like stress can affect how your periods work. May be a new health issue but I hope not. I hope you get good news back from the GP. Never good to be left worrying about something like this.

KittenFeatures, your periods are inconsistent because of your PCOS. It messes with your hormones levels and your ovulation (which demands specific levels of hormones), which causes irregular periods. :)

It may be a little harder to get kids when you have PCOS because of irregular ovulations, but it gets easier with age :)

They're currently not irregular. They just aren't coming at all. I haven't had one for almost a year now. I know PCOS isn't necessarily something doctors worry about because it's very common (they've given me a leaflet almost every time I've seen one) but it's still a bit frustrating to know that they aren't willing to check how bad it actually is. I know it makes periods inconsistent but even before the implant I was having a maximum of three a year (more commonly one or two) . People always say that if by the time you're over 18 and they aren't regular it is something to worry about. I get pains quite often that I think may be related to it but the doctors dismiss it saying it's probably pregnancy related this far on after giving birth. Frustrating as ever. :S

Well it's normal to have no periods at all if you have PCOS too. Maybe you could go to a different doctor about the pain, so hopefully they can look into it just to give you peace of mind about it? :)

I'm thinking of seeing one soon anyway to talk to them about alternative contraception so I might bring it up there, just to see what they recommend. I know there isnt much they can do but it would be nice to know why I have pains. The doctor I actually see has been nothing but a waste of time at the moment and I was considering putting in a complaint after she straight out told me to abort my daughter. Definitely not going back to her about it. x)

Kitten features I didn't have a period for nearly 3 years on the implant, quite a few of my friends have had very irregular or absent bleeding too so I'd try not to worry too much. I have pcos too ( and endometriosis but that's another story) and my cycles are anywhere between 14 and 80+ days, my hormones are so out of whack 😖

Sugar Boobies, fingers and toes crossed that it is the stress of everything that's causing your missing periods, hopefully you'll get some answers soon xxxx