Need advice....please

I know I hardly ever post but I need a bit of advice on a situation which has left me in a bit of a state.

I was having a bit of a sort out this morning in the bedroom - having a bit of a spring clean I suppose. There was a load of boxes under the bed, some mine, some my other halfs. The other halfs boxes caught my eye because there was photos in there that I'd never seen before so I had a quick look through (you know like us woman do) Then I stubbled across a old dairy from 1989! I picked it up had a quick look through thinking "Oh he's prob just kept it so he can remember what gigs he went to that year" when I stubbled across the back page and to my surprise found out about what happened between him and his ex wife.

For some reason this really isn't sitting well with me at the moment reasons being why would you keep something like this?! Why has he never told me about some of this stuff?

I really don't know what to do, should I mention it? or maybe it's my own fault for snopping?!

People keep diaries to remind themselves of what has happened and who they were. I would say this is one of those times. I suggest talking to him and being honest with him. This will go down better and it will take the worry away.

Well not with anyone atm but I still saved loads of cards from ex-gf, tucked away in a box somewhere. Don't think you should completely delete your past when you move on.

Have you not got anything saved from previous relationships, like gifts etc?

Janny wrote:

Well not with anyone atm but I still saved loads of cards from ex-gf, tucked away in a box somewhere. Don't think you should completely delete your past when you move on.

Have you not got anything saved from previous relationships, like gifts etc?

Not a thing, I don't want to be reminded of my past relationships - they've pretty much always ended badly

He doesn't owe you every detail of his past or the contents of his head. His memories are his to share if he wishes. His past relationship doesn't affect yours, so it's likely he didn't think it was relevant to tell you.

As for why he kept it... It's a diary! That's the point of a diary!

I used to keep diaries in my late teens and was once asked to destroy one that got read by someone who shouldnt of been snooping in the first place. They didnt like what they saw even though it didnt pertain to them. I was gutted I had to destroy it. Years of memories burnt, for nothing. I was always bitter about that.

Anyway as to the significance. Some people keep diaries as memories or reminders. Like photographs. Other people collect momentos of relationships or special times, like keeping train or gig tickets, teddy bears, love letters, old foreign money from that special holiday. The problem is that it all holds sentimental value for the person.

I have noticed two kinds of people when it comes to memories of the past (Esp relationships) There are the people who destroy everything at the end of relationships or eras considering it to be "finished" and whats the point in holding on to these things. Then there are the people who keep these trinkets and memories and hold them dear.

Me and my partner are both "collectors" We both have love letters, photos, cards and other memorabilia from past relationships and past experiences like gigs or holidays etc. The only reason I feel so comfortable with him keeping these precious memories is because I personally know why I keep mine.

My partners first love sadly passed away when she was in her early twenties and he has kept many memories and speaks so fondly of her that sometimes I feel slightly bizarre. (Silly thoughts like, can I compete with his first love, especially after what happened, does he compare, do I compare) but I couldnt ever EVER ask him to distroy anything. It would hurt him and I want him to have those memories, I am big enough to know that he loved and fucked and argued and danced and laughed with women before me but now he loves me. So heck why shouldnt he keep his memories.

I keep them because that was my life once, that was my experience at the time. Looking back through these memories I remember the times I had with people that have since faded out of my life, friends and exes. With diaries, I can look back and read something and think "omg I remember that!" and have a giggle at my naivity or the fact I was stressing about something so irrelevant but at the time it was killing me lol. Its like a little snapshot into the past thinking, "if I knew then what I know now"

The problem is that if you do keep diaries for years, this exact situation arises. From someone who keeps diaries its pretty embarrassing to have known someone read about the bullshit I wrote about the ex, who at the time I was angry with. Time moves on, feelings move on and people split for good reasons and when I look back at these writings I cringe, but I keep the diary because well, its my memories you know? good bad or ugly its me.

For me it is more about remembering a time in MY past that another person shared. It is not about keeping something because I want to hang on to those feelings or to that person. Heck, I have stuff from childhood from first boyfriends and I can sit and giggle and remember how cute it was. Things I would of forgotten without these little trinkets. I even have things kept from bad relationships because they remind me of MY past and experiences.

I guess some of us just have this sentimental thing and it means a lot to us but certainly doesnt mean we still in any way care for ex partners. As for finding out some cringeworthy information, he would probably feel embarrassed if he knew you read it. He probably kept it from you because maybe it doesnt show him in his best colours, or maybe he didnt want you to have issue with his reasons or his ex.

There are many reasons and I must admit it stings when you have been with someone a long time and find out things they havent told you accidently and you think "Why? When I am so honest and forthcoming, did he feel the need to not tell me" but people have their reasons and it is usually to avoid confrontations, to avoid coming across in a bad light or to avoid it causing a rift between people.

As Shellyboo said, the reason he kept it is that is kind of the point of a dairy. A lot of work and feelings and memories go into a diary and you read the last page. One of the ones you didnt want to read. I wouldnt throw out a full diary even if I embarrassed myself with a long rant about something personal at the end, too much goes into them to be discarded like that without a thought.

I forgot to add that I would also suggest talking to him in a non confrontational manner. Try not to come across accusatory or angry but you dont want to ignore something if it is eating at you so you should talk.

I would suggest saying something like "ok look, I came across an old diary, didnt know what it was at the time and had a look. Unfortunately I read this page and I feel upset. I know its my own fault for reading it and I am not angry at the diary I just guess I feel strange that you kept things from me and its eating me up a little. can we talk about it to put my mind at ease"

Something like that.

He will probably get defensive. I mean he knows you are upset, you read his personal stuff, he prob will feel guilty at being "caught" in not telling you something and he probably has reason for not telling you (shame guilt, feeling that he acted like a dick anything like that) So expect defensive, go slow and stay calm xx

Neither of you are at fault.

I've never kwpt a diary, the memmories I want to keep I remember and usually have photographs. Yhere was a reasom for him writing them down at the time, maybe he had no one to talk to so writing them down could have been a way off getting it off his chest. However there will also have been a reason for not telling you maybe he's glad it's something you don't have to carry as a burden and wants to keep it in the past.

I personally wouldn't mention the content and that you've read it. However if you can't ingore it maybe tell him you spotted the diary, but leave it up to him if he wants to elabotate on the content.

...I've never had a dairy......I did once have a few chickens......

shellyboo wrote:

He doesn't owe you every detail of his past or the contents of his head. His memories are his to share if he wishes. His past relationship doesn't affect yours, so it's likely he didn't think it was relevant to tell you.

As for why he kept it... It's a diary! That's the point of a diary!

this post makes sense to me.

Hmmm, it was almost 25 years ago, but I wouldn't read anything significant in to him keeping it, I have all manner of things from my past, most little daft things, but mainly so I can remember some of the things I have done, purely cos my memory is shit,... also those events shaped me so why should they be discarded?

Personally I think there is more risk from telling him you saw it and read it, than whatever the contents are, as I'm sure he has changed/dealt with events from almost 25years ago... It's your choice of course, good luck whatever you decide.

Dont worry about it and dont bring it up with OH

to my surprise found out about what happened between him and his ex wife.

I read this to mean something happened that unseated you?

Personaly, I keep nothing, I woulnt know how to be threatened by a diary from an ex 20 years ago.

I may have over reacted in some ways I suppose but the thing that shocked me most from it was the speed in which things happened. One minute they had sex and the next day he's proposing to her and moving in with her! I suppose I just felt a bit stunned, she had 15 years of marriage with him and two children which I'm never gonna be able to give him :o(

I have chatted with him about it and he was absolutely fine with me, he says he didn't keep the diary for that reason, he kept it because of his gigs he went to that year! I believe him and he understood why I felt the way I did.

Anyway thank you all for your advice