Negative people

Surely the only unhelpful review is when someone dose'nt actually give an opinion of the product. The person giving the review is only giving their opinion hopefully an honest one! The fact that whoevever is reading the review may or may not agree with it surely should'nt come into it? If you like a type of lube then you find a better one that does'nt make the positives you may have wrote about the original invalid etc etc...but there again I suspect this isn't actually about what has or has'nt been wrote.....if you can't say anything nice....shut up !!

Too true, that was my point before, I have never given a neg to anyone, if I havent agreed with a review I just dont give anything, surely that way it evens its self out.. :S
I have spent all this morning reading our reviews and giving poss to the ones i liked best.. that should help out a bit.

I noticed all the negs suddenly appearing too - there's obviously a sad git troll here! It's bound to happen unfortunately - seen it many times before as sites grow. In some ways it's nicer when communities like this remain small and intimate with genuine people who know each other. Such is life. I just think the trolls demonstrate their own spiteful failings by leaving a neg against every review they find (and probably dont even read) Some folks spend a lot of time and effort on their reviews, so it can be demoralising and harm the site.

The suggestion I'd make to OA is this: When a member clicks on "unhelpful" a popup box appears and asks for feedback with a reason for the neg. This would help in terms of improving reviews (the feedback could be forwarded to the reviewer) and it'd filter out some of the gratuitous negs (a reason like "I just hate the bastard" would invalidate the vote) You could also make it a requirement for any member leaving a neg to have posted at least five messages and been a member for at least a week.

yes thats a fab idea, you shouldnt really be able to add a vote unless you are a member anyway, but I do think having to leave a reason would put people off leaving a neg at all!
I did notice that I can only vote once on each review also, I tried to leave 2 possy for kitty to see what would happen, it only allowed one!

Any regulars here that get gratuitous negs are going to be getting a positive from me, and a united one finger salute to the troll. But it shouldn't have to happen, it just skews the votes.

yeah true ^^ I have been giving good votes all morning so hope it helps.
cheers bath-bi-guy..

I've given a couple of negatives in the past, but it's because I honestly found the reviews unhelpful.

And, yes, generally sites that are a bit bigger get a troll or two (or twenty). It can be incredibly annoying when there's a system in place that requires feedback on things like reviews.

I've only given one neg and it was for a product I liked which the reviewer hated but didn't explain why. As you guys have said, it's the explaining why that's important. I liked BBG's suggestions, especially that votes should come from other reviewers who have been around for a little, as they are the ones that know how to make a review more helpful.

Can I have a bit of a rant about the length of some reviews? Like some are seriously one line. I may not do the longest, but I try to give all the info I can and that always runs to a couple of paragraphs. Grrr!

imeldaimelda, it's been those one line reviews that have gained a negative from me. I don't understand the point of writing a review where all you say is "It's great." I (and I'm sure virtually everyone else) want to know WHY it's great, godsdamnit.

I know! Worse IMHO when they say "It's crap" and nothing else. Grrrr silly people

Aww thanks Laynie for the +'s and the comments :) And yes I am sure our own pet troll is sitting at home with their finger up their ass and probably a 40 yer old virgin with acne and greasy hair. Probably makes a leper look like a social butterfly!

I am going to have a good scout through reviews and spread some good vibes, I often do have a good look through but alas I have been too busy with business course and tomorow I have a funeral - then a wedding Sunday, one a couple weeks later then my own... just need one more wedding and it'd be a classic movie :-P

As for negatives, I rarely give them but I han on occasion been irritated not by whether they liked it or not - I find it valuable to know the down side of products too, but if it is one irrelivent line like "I shoved it up my bum and had a wank and I cummed and if you want me to shove it up your bum call me..." kinda thing. And you know it's probably our troll that says that ;-)

HEHE^^ yeah no imagination... I can see the greasy old turd brain now.. gigling about how much we have spoke about him, hell he has a whole thread going :S

No probs btw kitty hun about the + I read reviews almost daily anyway so instead of looking through the search I just looked through what you used! ;)

I've just been doing my ironing thinking about this, and I came up with the idea it's somebody we'd least expect, I personally think the culprit is closer to home, and they only decide to negative vote to discredit others on the top cadets list, is it going to turn out to be a case of you vote positively for me and I'll do the same for you do you think!!!!
Well every bit of advice I've ever received from you all has been invaluable, and I always look at your EXCELLENT reviews to help me decide on future purchases. It's interesting that all the recommendations from friends have been less than helpful but you always give great impatial advice THANK-YOU one and all for EVERYTHING.

^_O I would personally hope that was not the case, I cant see it being any of the top 15 or 20 people any way, but maybe someone in the top 25 :S ?? I dont belive the top cadets are that petty, but it is food for thought.

No Laynie I did n't mean the top of the top but I suspect they're in the top 30 or so.

yeah i guess.... but at the mo we ar egiving whoever lots of attention, we should treat this like a child and not reward negative behaviour!!
Its a real shame though that this is happening because the people it is happening to are so n8ice and good writters too!

I've only just found this thread. Sorry I've not been very active lately. We had the passing of a very close elderly relative. Interesting reading though. I have to admit that I have never ever checked the ratings for my reviews I don't even know how at present but I'm of to have a look.
Kitty this has obviously upset you a great deal. Please let it go for your own sake and go away and have a very orgasmic honeymoon.

Miss Kitty. ENJOY Thailand we had a wonderful time in January

Don't worry sexybeast - I'm not upset - I wouldn't give the troll that satisfaction for a start and I have known people in the past with the inteligence of a stoat that has been hit on the head too many times so I'm used to idiots and they aren't worth anger - I do however enjoy thinking of the troll as a greasy, sweaty, hairy backed goon :-D

And thanks guys and Bubblemagic. I have never been on holiday abroad so it's going to be amazing :-D Bankok and Phuket here we come - and we chose those places because we mispronounced phuket and fell about giggling ;-)

Well Miss Kitty I was always taught P H together is pronounced F. You'll love it I'm sure, and what memories to start off your married life we had to wait to our Silver. CONGRATULATIONS to you both, with ALL my LOVE.