Newbie post: Late to the party - experiences of mirena coil?

Hi all, this is technically my 2nd post - I answered the newbie initiation test! But came to the forums a few days ago looking for hints and tips. The advice here is so informative and has led to informed purchases, so I've plucked up the courage to ask a question.

I had my third and final child in 2011 and had the mirena coil shortly after. All I can say is I'm thankful I have such a wonderful husband because you could count on one hand, per year, the times he's seen action since then. Nothing scientific I've read suggests that the mirena affects sex drive. I decided anyway to have it changed to copper because of my mood, skin and weight feeling poor (again, limited evidence), and oh my - I feel amazing. It's like a switch. I'm recently 30 and him in his 40's and we're like bloody teenagers.

I'm willing to accept this might all be psychological, but am interested to know if anyone else has had the same experience? I feel late to the party, and the party is awesome!

(PS: I don't rightly know if I've posted this correctly forum wise, please don't hate on me if I've done it wrong, but advice accepted!)

Welcome to the forum. If Leanne feels it's in the wrong section I'm sure won't mind moving it. I have the merena coil and tbh it hasn't had the slightest effect on our sex life. If anything it's made-up better as I have it for endometriosis so it has reduced the symptoms and actually increased my chances of conceiving naturally. I did find It took me a while to get back into it after having my baby though. But then again he has a few health issues.

Hello Elsie-Jay.

My experience with the mirena coil isn't very positve.I bled every day for 8 months, I eventually stopped bleeding, but then had periods every 2 weeks. After 18 months, I started to get such heavy bleeding and huge blood clots, the size of my palm (sorry if it's TMI). My coil fell out with one of the clots.

Dr's were not concerned about how the mirena was affecting me, even after showing the photos I took to show the size of the clots. I became so anemic.

My sex life was non exsistant, I had no mojo, even for solo play.

I'm hopefully going to get treatment to remove the lining of my womb, gynae says I'm too overweight for a hysterectomy.

Majority of people are fine with the mirena, mostof my friends experience no periods at all, maybe the occasional spotting.

I don't know much about the copper coil I'm afraid.

Best thing I ever had. No periods since the day it went in and no issues. Love it.

Had the mirena coil fitted beginning of November. Didn’t need it for contraception but to control my period. I’ve just recently turned 52 and my periods were beginning to last for 2 weeks which meant it affected my sex life. Periods have decreased and is a lot better this month. Has not affected my libido at all - it affects everyone differenty. The best part is that if it does not suit someone, it can be removed. Wishing you all the best!

Thanks for the responses - yes I adored my mirena for the fact that I had no periods for over 5 years! But I bled for 6 months after having it, begged them to take it out but was advised to perservere, and I did and it did it's job. But like Purring-Pussy I had literally no mojo! I've been through a full cycle with my new copper and suddenly 'sprang to life' about 3 weeks ago.

Looking forward to engaging with you all on other posts - I'm not very computer savy - is there a way to set up notifications for posts? i.e. I had to come searching for my post to see any responses, I didn't get a ping e-mail to let me know I'd had a reply.

Welcome!Welcome,Welcome!

Elsie-Jay wrote:

Thanks for the responses - yes I adored my mirena for the fact that I had no periods for over 5 years! But I bled for 6 months after having it, begged them to take it out but was advised to perservere, and I did and it did it's job. But like Purring-Pussy I had literally no mojo! I've been through a full cycle with my new copper and suddenly 'sprang to life' about 3 weeks ago.

Looking forward to engaging with you all on other posts - I'm not very computer savy - is there a way to set up notifications for posts? i.e. I had to come searching for my post to see any responses, I didn't get a ping e-mail to let me know I'd had a reply.

Welcome to the forum! I don't think there is a way of setting up reply notifications - I agree it is a bit of a faff having to hunt out your post to see if anyone's replied! I was on a different forum and they did have that system, so maybe it's something to suggest to Lovehoney?

Your profile picture is fab by the way - makes me want to buy the outfit just for hubby's reaction when I turn round!

Your profile picture is fab by the way - makes me want to buy the outfit just for hubby's reaction when I turn round!

Thank you so much! I did a review on the item, highly recommend! I'm not body confident but feel amazing in it. I'm sure your hubby will love it!

Hello and welcome.

Have to agree with Lil_MissNaughty - fab avi 😉

Hi, welcome to the forum :-)

Hi + welcome. I don't have any experience of either coil but am very aware that they both have many different reactions to different people.