Newbie with questions!

KitsiKiki wrote:

I hope everything goes well! I switched to the non-hormonal copper IUD over a year ago and never looked back. I'm glad to see it's getting more attention and becoming more popular... I'd be even happier to see a wider variety of non-hormonal methods become available, since the IUD isn't for everyone either.

I've been thnking about changing for a very long time, but when I was researching the copper IUD I came across a lot of horror stories and was put off. But I think the stories are rare and the risk isn't all that high so if the IUD will bring back my sexiness, my energy and fix my metabolism then I'm in! I think people freak out about it like I did but I think it should be talked about more :) And yeah, none hormonal is the way to go and I wish there were more options. I think they'r developing a few men's versions but nothing seems to be confirmed

Yeah, they are rare. The thing is, people are more likely to take to the public with bad experiences than when they have had a satisfactory experience. And people are more likely to remember those stories, especially if they are already nervous/suspicious about it.

But mine has gone smoothly from the start. Unfortunately it's one of those things that you just can not know unless you try, so I'm behind you all the way on having the calm and the courage to go for it. The reward is definitely worth the risk in my opinion and you clearly think so too.

I think the more it is talked about and the more people try it, the better the products, procedures, and professionals- and therefore the experiences and effectiveness- will become.

KitsiKiki wrote:

Yeah, they are rare. The thing is, people are more likely to take to the public with bad experiences than when they have had a satisfactory experience. And people are more likely to remember those stories, especially if they are already nervous/suspicious about it.

But mine has gone smoothly from the start. Unfortunately it's one of those things that you just can not know unless you try, so I'm behind you all the way on having the calm and the courage to go for it. The reward is definitely worth the risk in my opinion and you clearly think so too.

I think the more it is talked about and the more people try it, the better the products, procedures, and professionals- and therefore the experiences and effectiveness- will become.

I didn't even know it existed until I was looking for contraceptives back when I was 16, and the nurse even glazed over it at the time I think because I was younger and she probably thought I wanted something less long-term. I've been on the injection for a good 3 years so I think it's the right move :)