Norwegian Tragedy

My heartfelt condolences go out to the people of Norway on this tragic day.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14259356

ditto xxx

it much to awful for the families of the children on the island

It is a tragedy and then add the bomb in Oslo centre as well. Things like these do scare me a lot, but I dont think there is as much as we can do to prevent them.

Kasumi wrote:

My heartfelt condolences go out to the people of Norway on this tragic day.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14259356

Ditto and it's 1 of the last places u'd think something like this would happen!

My thoughts are also with everyone affected by the tragic events in Norway.

What a sick world we live in.

Yes its hard to keep faith in mankind sometimes. As you say its becoming a sick world.

To be frank... the world has never been really much better. Unfortunately.

The news currently suggests it was the same man. He must have had help though - the bomb was an hour and a half away from the youth centre. But it looks like the bomb was a distraction for the real target. 84 killed at the left run youth centre (mostly 14-18 year olds) and the man was a far right christian extremist so they think that may be the motive and target.

At least he's been taken alive which is rare in killing sprees. He didn't shoot himself or at the police suggesting he just ran out of ammunition. Hopefully they can get lots of info because I doubt he'll last long in prison before he attempts suicide.

It's a strong message to Norway to inprove their security - he had well over an hour and a half on the tiny island homing the youth centre because they all flocked to Oslo.

Utterly devastating and completely unexpected in such a socially developed country!

My heart really goes out to Norway and the parents, friends and families of all those children. Not to mention the relatives of the 7 killed in the explosion and any other people caught in the youth centre shooting spree.

Adx

I don't think the issue is that they can't afford to have the security (because they spend money on other things) - I think they've been naive in thinking they don't need more than they have. I don't know for sure, but that's the impression I get.

Adx

I don't see how they could have expected that: the bombing of a political office in a central city would rarely send the message "beef up security at the youth camps". After the fact, it all makes sense, since they had a visit scheduled for the next day, and the bomb was always going to be an awesome distraction to give him a good time lead, plus the fact that he was a crazy right-wing extremist nutjob and thus targetting any Labour organisation makes sense.

Main thing that got to me was that all the American and conservative-biased news reports were screaming "Al Qaeda!" within minutes, and were still insisting that it must be a Middle-Eastern terrorist strike when it had been announced that the guy was a white, blonde, Norwegian national. And how quickly it was all dropped once it came out that he was a Christian conservative extremist....because, y'know, only Muslims and black folk can have extremist nutcases.

BashfulBabe wrote:

I don't see how they could have expected that: the bombing of a political office in a central city would rarely send the message "beef up security at the youth camps". After the fact, it all makes sense, since they had a visit scheduled for the next day, and the bomb was always going to be an awesome distraction to give him a good time lead, plus the fact that he was a crazy right-wing extremist nutjob and thus targetting any Labour organisation makes sense.

Main thing that got to me was that all the American and conservative-biased news reports were screaming "Al Qaeda!" within minutes, and were still insisting that it must be a Middle-Eastern terrorist strike when it had been announced that the guy was a white, blonde, Norwegian national. And how quickly it was all dropped once it came out that he was a Christian conservative extremist....because, y'know, only Muslims and black folk can have extremist nutcases.

I agree to that, also my thoughts are with everyone effected by this terrorism.

BashfulBabe wrote:

I don't think they could have expected it but part of the issue was it took almost all of the country's security to deal with the bomb in Oslo leaving noone to get to the youth centre - it took over an hour and a half for any security to get there which was an issue. Norway have a poor security system but it was completely unexpected. I'm not saying there's any blame at all - noone could expect something as devastating as this. But it is a shame that he had so long to just pick people off. It is a message that security needs to improve there. But I don't think there's any blame that lies with the government, the blame, of course, lies with the man and whoever helped organise it.

Interestingly the Norwegian government have called for more democracy and openness as a response - that would never happen in the UK or US. Norway are incredibly politically and socially developed which made the whole thing even more unexpected!

Adx

my thoughts to all of those who have been affected by the tragedy.