Photography (Glam)

Hi everyone,

Me and a female friend have done some modelling (around 5 years ago) - which we really enjoyed. It was glam/soft stuff - very amature things! Thing was we found a lot of photographers where male who had hidden adjenders ( don't want to tar all men with the same brush, but we never really had a stright forward male photographer they all wanted something in return for the shots - we never got naughty with any of them, would just block them and move on with our search.) So we ended up taking shots of our own. Which was great and I really enjoyed it!

I still enjoy photography and currently shoot landscape/nature/my children/animals....by no means im doing this professionally it's more of a hobby. But it got me thinking - if things are still the same for amartue models whom are just starting out with very little money etc. I'd love to capture glam stuff and help them to build up, but don't know where to start - so my questions are -

Has anyone else had experiences with male photographers (im talking more amature ones good/bad)

As a female would you prefure these type of photos to be taken by a female photographer, but have you found theres not many around? (as we did)

If you are a photogrpaher what qualifications do you have to have (if any are needed)

Is there any suggestions - sites or forums I could look at for this type of stuff ?

Again I'm not taring all men with the same brush, I'm going back a while now and it was done throu facebook a amature group of people just starting out (which is still on there now). Hope I haven't offened anyone and this type of post on lh is ok with others/admin.

Everyones opions would be great. (men included )

:) :) :) :)

:)

Hi Rachey,

I am a male, and a photographer. Myself and my dad run a successful photography business, I deal with motor sport stuff and he deals with the people lol. He has had lots of women come to us for glamour shoots and all I ever hear from the models is how comfortable they were around him. So I think it's all down to A) where you go looking for a photographer. I know there are a few websites out there that offer a service where you can search for photographers near you. I find these sites are where the sleazy guys hang out, offering the world but always seem to want something in return B) recommendations are always something to look out for, knowing that someone else has had a shoot with the photographer and has some good shots to come away with. C) trust your instincts, if something is too good to be true it probably is.

Check out the photographers website, but this is no guarantee, as anyone can write a load of bumpf for a website. If you have some shots already even ones you have taken yourself it is always worth contacting a agency.

I think in today's day and age it is all too easy to call yourself a photographer. For a couple of hundred quid you can buy an okay camera, I have no formal photography qualifications, there are courses out there tho. I had a photography module on my graphic design HND.

I hope this isn't too long winded, and makes sense.

Good luck searching for a photographer

Have you thought about taking a course on portrait photography? It would show you the equipment used and techniques that might make you more confident in trying to offer your own service.

Id imagine a lot of women would prefer a female photographer for more intimate shots.

I've almost exclusively worked with male photographers and have found most of them to be very professional. Having said that, I always look at someone's reviews and feedback from other models before I consider working with them as it's not worth the risk.

When I was a photographer though, lots of girls did say that they liked working with a woman while shooting nudes - but I think that was more to do with their lack of experience posing nude, rather than a reflection on the male photographers they'd worked with. 

Websites like Model Mayhem, PurplePort and PureStorm are great communities where you can find out info on models/photographers before you book with them. 

My main advice would be to always agree everything ahead of time, from where you meet, to who's paying what and who and how long the shoot will last, to what you'll wear, when/who will do your hair/make up and the main aim of the shoot. Always set up safety nets - like telling somone where you'll be and how long for, and have an 'escape route' if necessary. I used to have a friend or my mum on hand to collect me should I need it. You can never be too safe. Don't forget that you're entitled to take a chaperone to shoots too (particularly for nudes) and even if you don't intend to take one, I would always ask the question anyway to gauge your 'tog. If a photographer says no to a chaperone you should ask why, and if they can't answer you in a direct fashion, don't shoot with them. 

Most photographers shoot for passion / fun or money, and want the images to look as awesome as you do, but now that everyone and their Monther has a digital camera and photoshop, it's easy to get stung, so be safe and keep your whits about you. If it feels wrong, it probably is, so trust your instincts :) 

Aww thanx for the messages guys.

We had a lot of problems such as not being aloud to take a chaperone along which set alarm bells ringing when he refused it. ( So i didn't go along) I think im a bit old for modelling now ((32)) a lot of the casting i've seen on this facebook group are for age groups and the limit seems to be 30. I Would love to try photography thou - not just the glam stuff but also family/landscape etc. I have joined PurplePort and waiting to be verifiyed from admin there - its just to test the water see how it goes! i'd love to do a course in it also as I agree its all to easy for people to call themselfs a photographer now adays.

Thanx so much again everyone - ill be posting again about it no doubt as im new to the photography side of things and will probs stumble accross a few things im not sure about.

:)

Any help you need just shout up :-)

Think you were right to be worried about someone not allowing a chaperone, thats nuts :s