Price difference refund on purchase?

Thank you. :slightly_smiling_face: My brain farted.

@Rob36 I thought it was 14 days, but I’ve had a big day. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@Ian_Chimp the 14 days is for standard refunds. Due to all the deals and offers they do the 7 day one is for people wanting a partial price refund if prices drop. Especially after Black Friday deals. I’d hate to work in the customer services department…

1 Like

I have confused myself a bit on this one. :slightly_smiling_face:

Shops - you’ve seen it, you’ve touched it, you’ve licked it. You’ve agreed a price for it. No grounds to change your mind as soon as the cash hits the till (unless faulty or mis-sold)

After that you’re entirely reliant on the store’s return policy, which could say anything.

Online - you’ve only seen maybe a photo, so perhaps a cooling off period would be warranted. 14 days from when you receive it you can cancel the order (I thought this was for a full refund, though you may pay the return p&p? Is that where you’re saying they can put the weird T&Cs?)

After the 14 days you’re entirely reliant on the store’s returns policy, which could say pretty much anything. (unless faulty or mis-sold)

1 Like

Pretty much spot on. The only ‘grey area’ I’ve not been able to nail down is price drops.

The Amazon example is based on a gesture of goodwill. Of course you could return within 14 days and get a full refund and rebuy…but what if it’s out of stock or sold out?

I still have the moral dilemma element too personally. I doubt anyone has ever contacted a store saying ‘hey, I bought this on special offer last week and you’ve now raised the price - can I pay the difference please?’.

I offer deals all the time in my own business. If someone arrives late to the party and says ‘well it was cheaper last week’ I’ll base my reply on how regular a customer they are. Discounts are temporary. I’ve yet to have anyone kick off that they paid full price the week before when I’ve run a promo. If they saw it as a good deal at full price then I’d query why they felt in any way ‘cheated’ or at any kind of loss?

*other opinions will of course vary. :wink:

1 Like

The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013, Part 3, Regulation 34 (1):

“The trader must reimburse all payments, other than payments for delivery, received from the consumer, subject to paragraph (10).”

(Paragraph 10 allows companies to deduct amounts if the value of the goods has gone down by the consumer receiving the product)

“All payments” to me suggests price paid.

2 Likes

I should say I’m not advocating it. :slightly_smiling_face:

I think you also weigh up how the company has treated you in the past. If they’ve always been fair and generous then you’re less likely to go to such extremes (sending back and re-ordering, for instance).

Phoning up and asking is less sneaky, so probably worth considering if the saving is enough to be meaningful to you. :+1:

1 Like

It’s definitely worth an ask. I bought a new camera once and went in the sale while it was in transit to me - full refund of the difference. Other companies haven’t been so accommodating. The best I’ve experienced - I bought some shirts from that maker that sounds like Sink, some of my order went in the sale a few days later, so, without asking, they sent a voucher for the difference and a letter explaining

1 Like