Quick check in

Im a regular in a few pubs but i end up drinking on my own and its pretty boring.

I have beaches nearby and a small park with a duck pond but its nothing i havent experienced before.

I just cant seem to find anything that interests me or that i enjoy. It feels so bad that im like this

2 Likes

I get it, sometimes its hard to fill the day. Iā€™ve been off for 2 weeks and Iā€™ve been doing a lot of walking. Usually around 3 hrs a day but I am blessed to live close enough to a few walkable great walks but I tend to stick to the same one that is a tough walk.

There are a lot of groups popping up for people to meet other people for days out etc (Wild Wanderers is one I follow).

Have you got people in your life? I am really anti social and very introverted but I do like a bit of company every now and again.

When Iā€™m feeling down the sea or the ā€˜landā€™ is where I go to feel better. I must put some pics up.

6 Likes

It might seem obvious, but thereā€™s a friendly community here, and youā€™re always welcome to take part in the games etc. Or just chat in the lounge.

2 Likes

Have you spoken to your GP about how you are feeling? What youā€™ve just written sounds very much like you are struggling with depression. I would recommend speaking to a counsellor if you havenā€™t already, itā€™s up to you but Iā€™d suggest talking to someone about how you feel.

Donā€™t feel guilty about feeling this way, I often feel like this and then make it worse by feeling guilty because I have a lot of good things in my life and donā€™t seem to be able to appreciate them.

4 Likes

I have been suffering with depression for a while but nothing seems to be helping

I understand buddy but i can only do it for so long

I know the feeling, Iā€™ve lost interest in a lot of things that used to excite me, the motivation to do something drains away very quickly. The main recreation Iā€™ve always enjoyed is exploring the world around me and Iā€™m still discovering new places to visit by looking at maps and the internet. England is very fortunate in having a lot of public footpaths one can wander around. Mrs S has been doing her own searching recently and weā€™ve been going to a few new parks in the Manchester area, went to Boggart Hole Clough for the first time this morning. I find it very satisfying when driving about to recognise places, know whatā€™s down the different roads and across the fields etc. I suppose it makes me feel more at home in the world.

3 Likes

Each to their own and whether that means staying in, saving money and binging box sets or hitting the high street and binge drinking beer in a bar ā€¦ itā€™s entirely up to you!

Lockdown has certainly changed many of our lifestyles, we donā€™t tend to go ā€˜out outā€™ since Covid hit not because of the virus but more because we are aware just how expensive ā€˜half a pint of lager and a packet of crispsā€™ is in a bar these days compared to a six pack and a take away shared from the comfort of home whilst we Netflix and chillā€¦

Itā€™s each to their own, my only concern would be if you start feeling panicky about leaving the house then I would suggest pushing yourself to do soā€¦

I personally could stay at home forevermore but I know itā€™s not good for my mental health so we do try to get out now and then.

I do however find myself scrolling through the dreaded social media and comparing and contrasting our lack of social life to that of others around us but I realise social media is just a snippet, not the big picture.

Itā€™s hard to say really but Iā€™d suggest maintaining a HEALTHY balance and so long as YOU are happy , who cares ?!

4 Likes

My anxiety is terrible. I want to go out, but when Iā€™m out I want to come straight home again :woman_facepalming:t2: I canā€™t win :woman_shrugging:t2:
And when Iā€™m out, I donā€™t like leaving hubbyā€™s side, itā€™s like heā€™s my security blanket. I can feel my heart pounding in my chest, and with my autism, I donā€™t like being out of my comfort zone. I must get on his nerves, cos I get on my own bloody nerves :joy: But he is so understanding, and knows what to do to calm me.
I love going down to the coast, I donā€™t know what it is, but I just find it so calming being there. Wish I could go all the time, but hubby takes me when we can. Heā€™s taking me next weekend, for the weekend just us 2.
I have to push myself to go out, even though I donā€™t like it, otherwise it wonā€™t do my mental health any good, and Iā€™ll drive myself more crazy :crazy_face: than I already am :joy: Without having hubby by my side I donā€™t know what Iā€™d do, or where Iā€™ll be.

4 Likes

I understand and im sorry to hear others are struggling too.
Im being forced to take my holiday days this week and half of me is annoyed as i know my colleagues wont do the jobs i do and when i get back there will be even more stress for me.

I dont feel i can win these days. I cant find anything to do and everything im my life has lost its point.

1 Like

I think you may need to speak to your GPā€¦ it sounds like you are struggling with depression,

1 Like

Nothing is working for me.

People dont seem to want to know me, im pretty much alone in all things

If I was on my own Iā€™d go on some coach holidays, either abroad or places in the UK I donā€™t know. My parents find them pretty cheap, there are other people on the holiday to chat with and usually a number of outings are organised so you donā€™t need to work out what do to or how to get to the places yourself. There might be some last minute bargains.

2 Likes

I just had a look and the Spice UK group is still going. I was a member for a few years in the 1990s and it was well worth the money. They arranged loads of different activities each month, sent a booklet with them all in, and I just picked what I wanted to do, paid and went along. There were all sorts of things, some adventurous and sporting and others more social, at a range of prices. I remember enjoying caving, sports car, go kart, off road and tank driving, pistol and clay pigeon shooting, archery, orienteering, holding tiger cubs (scratchy!), theatre visit (comedy), group meal out (with Chinese Elvis), canoeing, archery, abseiling, treasure hunt and assault course round coal mine. It wasnā€™t intended to be a singles club and my wife came on some of the events, but was very easy to talk to other members.

3 Likes

Wow, this sounds so like me! I get really anxious if I havenā€™t left the house before lunchtime (no idea why!) but once Iā€™m out I often feel too anxious and want to go home! I find that open areas like the coast (although I live as far from the coast as itā€™s possible to be) or lakes, nature reserves etc where there are very few competing noises are much better for me. When I visit the coast I feel like itā€™s more open and I feel less trapped, I think itā€™s something about knowing there is nothing but ocean on one side :woman_shrugging: My husband is also very understanding thankfully, I think I annoy myself more than I annoy him!

1 Like

I do find I feel more relaxed with no people in sight, donā€™t need to watch for what theyā€™re doing or how to interact with them.

2 Likes

Im really struggling. Got time off work but feel worse then i have. Really dont know why i exist.

@zombifiedguy Hi, there is help out there if you need to talk. :hugs: Contact www.tethr.men

Havent heard of that before

Look them up, youā€™ll get support from them. x