Sex and Medication

There's loads of topics within the forums where we talk about health conditions and how they alter our sex lives. Often we mention whether or not certain medication is being used too.

I would like to make a thread about sex and medication. You don't have to go into too much detail, but I think it'd be helpful to know, whether or not certain medications change your sex drive, alter your sexual responses, cause vaginal dryness, erection problems, and more.

This is a thread just to list the medication your using, and whether or not, you have experienced any changes while on it. While you may wish for more emotional support / information on an illness, it'll be handy to keep this thread just for medication information - there's loads of threads where people ask about others reactions, and many people offering advice, but it's all over the place. Simply fill out the below questions:

Condition (only state if comfortable):

Male / Female / Other:

Medication:

Reaction (example Sensativity Descreased? ED? Libedo Change? ect):

Reaction to different doses?

Sex Toys and products you've found helpful to alter these changes for the better:

I'll go first:

Condition (only state if comfortable): Stress, and uncontrolable shaking

Male / Female / Other: Female

Medication: Pericyazine

Reaction (example Sensativity Descreased? ED? Libedo Change? ect): So far this medication hasn't changed the way I feel sexually, other than just being more relaxed to engage in sex.

Reaction to different doses? N/A

Sex Toys and products you've found helpful to alter these changes for the better: N/A

Condition (only state if comfortable): Chronic Depression

Medication: Sertraline 200mg

Reaction (example Sensativity Descreased? ED? Libedo Change? ect): Sometimes I experience trouble orgasming. However the tablet does help me focus more on my fantasies when I'm taking it.

Reaction to different doses? The high my dose got, I experienced more problems having an orgasm.

Sex Toys and products you've found helpful to alter these changes for the better:

Orgasm Balm! It's amazing. http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=25360

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=18566

Condition (only state if comfortable): Insomnia

Medication: Temazepam 10 mg

Reaction (example Sensativity Descreased? ED? Libedo Change? ect): Sometimes my coordination is off during sex. I am more likely to fall asleep after orgasm, even if it happens the day after I have taken a dose. My body is slower at reacting to stimulation.

Sensual toys which make my body wake up, from cool glass, to some of the more interactive devices (such as App controlled toys).

Condition (only state if comfortable): Contraception

Medication: Ortho Evra Patch

Reaction (example Sensativity Descreased? ED? Libedo Change? ect): Sometimes mild pain around my cervics occurs during random points in my cycle. The patch also can be off putting for some of my partners and it limits them a bit during foreplay (Sill, I know, but it really does).

Not really. I'm sure my partners will get use to it... if not I'm happy to blindfold them ;-)

I agree, I don't mean to cause offence, but this thread could make people feel uncomfortable with their own personal experiences of medication. I was put on setraline when I was 18 after fluoxetine wasn't working for me, and my experience of it was awful. I put up with it for months before seeking to change it, but if I read that someone else was taking it with minimal effects it would have got me incredibly upset.

Everyone reading this must remember that medication is different for every single person who takes it and you must see your GP if you're not responding to it as you think you should be.

I do think it's good to share experiences, and try to help out, but I feel some people might take this the wrong way.

I'm sorry, my mistake really =) I just saw that also there was a need for a thread a bit like this. but some form of thread probably would help many, which is more focused on this area, but better put together?

Don't get me wrong, I do think its probably a very good topic for people with illnesses other than "mental illnesses" (I hate that term!). I just know from personal experiences that medication can work for some but others it can have a really bad effect and I wouldn't want someone having a breakdown over something they've read! I would have, many years ago, I was of the understanding that everyone who was taking setraline would have been going through the same things I was, but it didn't turn out that way. Luckily, I'm now medication free, but I think the emotions you feel will always stay with you. I hope you can find some relief too :)

I think the question itself is interesting, but i don't like the focus on the medication.

my hubby has a medical condition that has affected our sex life, but the medication is only a small factor in that.

It's really important to recognise the impact of health on sex - especially in a long term relationship or marriage

Hi all,
So my OH has just been prescribed Propanalol for her Migrains. She has tried almost all other medications but the last two years she has given herself a break from meds. The result, continuation of frequent headaches and migrains but a much higher/improved libido.
My question is, is anyone on or has taken Propanalol and how has it effected your sex drive? Is there anything anyone can recommend that helps increase sex drive to combat any side effects?

My OH seems against any sort of sex toy and certainly does not self pleasure (unfortunately)

Yes, I take propranolol. I can’t say I’ve noticed any side effects to be honest. I do have a very low sex drive at the moment and i assumed that this was just from my current mental health issues but it could be the medication I suppose.

In terms of increasing sex drive, i think the recommendations would be the same for anyone with low sex drive regardless of medication but it’s very personal and you’d be best to talk to her and work through it together.

Things that have helped me are:

1. Masturbation and seeing it as a way to relieve stress rather than a sexual thing. This help me to relax and increases my interest in sex because I remember how good it feels. I am more likely to want sex if I have recently masturbated. I can do this without any sexual desire (the desire tends to come after I have started) but this is a personal choice and if your OH doesn’t want to masturbate, it’s really her choice.

2. Massages and intimacy that doesn’t put pressure on me to have sex. A foot / ankle massage on the sofa or a back and shoulder massage in bed remind me that I am loved and desired but without the pressure of sex. Sometimes it leads to more (a hand job or oral for him or some mutural masturbation) but most often it’s just intimacy with no sexual element. It does maintain closeness even without the sex and helps me to relax.

3. Romantic activities, again, with no pressure for sex afterwards. Something like a meal out or a picnic in the park. Anything relaxing and romantic is more likely to increase my interest in sex in the long term.

4. Taking penetration off the table: I am quite happy to give my husband oral or a hand job if I’m not in the mood and quite often I find that I become receptive to being touched in return. But, if I put pressure on myself to have penetrative sex, I will lose all interest because I know that I’m not aroused and therefore it’s not worth trying. I guess what I am trying to say is that there’s still plenty that you can do together without penetration and lots that you can enjoy that is intimate but not necessarily having sex.

This is just my personal experience and isn’t going to work for everyone. The best thing you can do is talk about it and try not to put pressure on her. I suppose I have a low sex drive but still want to have sex (because I remember enjoying it and want to feel that way again) but if your OH doesn’t want sex, all you can do is support her and accept her feelings.

1 Like

As someone who has taken all kinds of things for anxiety and depression (including citalopram, sertraline, fluoexetine, propanalol), my sex drive is one of the reasons I now I refuse to take medication for my mental health. I found on many of these substances that my desire for sex was there, but my ability to reach orgasm was not, and that was worsening my anxiety and depression. For propanalol, I found that I was still very anxious inside, but because it’s a beta-blocker I was having a panic attack just without the racing heart. I also lost my interest in sex, full stop.
CBT therapy was the gamechanger for me but you have to be willing to put the work in, and keep at it.

1 Like