Antidepressants & Sex

So a question... for those of you on antidepressants or other mental health meds, how do they affect your sex drive? I've never had a MASSIVE sex drive, but five years on antidepressants has reduced that to almost nothing. I get aroused maybe four times a month and it's always during my ovulation which apparently is when your hormones are highest...

So how to they affect you and more importantly, what on EARTH do you do to counteract it? I hate feeling like a frigid bitch.

Yeah medication can effect your sex drive massively so can contraception, but sorry I cant really answer toyour question about counteracting it, I suppose its trail and errors what works 4 u wont for another :) x

My meds affect it alot. Im on so many pills for my depression. They make me sleepy all the time which kills the mood. And i find i go though really dry spells when i dont feel horny at all but when i get horny i get REALLY horny and cant stop for like a whole weekend. Mostly i get horny like you around ovulation and unfortunatly when im on my period

But i find they affect me majorly. Im better on the meds im on now by the ones i was on before. I lost all sex drive.

Your not frigid my darling. Your on the pills for a reason and that comes before the sex drive. If you are having sex to try and concieve, then try tons of foreplay and lube (pre seed is one sperm safe) but take it slow find out what you really like and every now and then try and work though it but dont be sad if you dont get it....

Head up princess! Your gonna be ok.

It's an odd one for me. I've been on them most of my life, so never had a high sex drive, but I do find if I have a regular partner, a sensual massage can get me in the mood and then it leads to sex, this then makes me horny and want it quite often, or makes me want to pleasure myself, sometimes a couple of times a day.

At the moment I don't have that regular somebody, so now I've got no sexual urges at all and this can go on for months, with no interest whatsoever. Think I may try reading some erotica, to ignite that spark to being turned on.

For me sex is the key! I was on meds (not for depression) that can affect libido before i was sexually active so i cant say for sure whether they have affected me or not. What i do find though is that i enjoy sex when im having it, but i dont often feel horny.

Im the type of person who wants to have sex when we do it quite frequently, but if for some reason we dont have sex for a while i feel like i lose the urge completely and could easily go weeks without.

it sounds horrible when its written because it looks like im reluctant to have sex! But the reality for me is the more i have, the more i want.

I have just been put on meds for anxiety and depression (cant remember their name) and they claim to reduce libido and orgasms in some people. I guess i will have to cross that bridge if it comes to it, but i will be keeping an eye on this thread for any advice!

I have thyroid issues and recently come off anti anxiety drugs. I've had massive long dry spells.

But since coming off my anxiety pills my mojo is back four fold. It's crazy! Not helped by being single. I tend to find myself solo frequently at the moment.

My partner takes Codeine sometimes for his pain and when he's on that his sex drive vanishes, his anti depressats don't really effect him but Codeine was a real passion killer.

Mine impact me in a way that even though always wanted sex and I could ask for sex numerous times. And have sex etc. I just don't get as wet nor can I orgasm as easily as when I weren't on them . Since starting my new pills I haven't masturbated, had sex etc once :/

Oh God thank you all so much for your replies, I feel so much more normal now!

Luckily not trying to conceive but just feel like no one will want me as I find it hard to have any interest in sex - and from my experience that's 'all' men want so it does worry me!

What a lovely bunch you all are :)

When I was on anti depressants and mood stabilisers I had no sex drive at all I didn't want sex nor thought about sex ;( it was a hard time for my partner he thought I had gone off him :( now I'm med free my sex drives back to normal :) also find my sex drive increases near the time of my menstrual cycle 

Every SSRI (antidepressant) or anxiety med that I've tried has caused either a lack of desire or serious difficulty reaching orgasm. I go from having a very active interest in sex to none.

I never found a solution for the problem and was usually told that it's a matter of weighing up whether it's worth the side effect or not.

When my partner was on anit depressants he had a really low sex drive. Some anti depressants have a side effect that stops men from ejaculating, it made him impossible to cum. x

hmmm I feel like the odd one out here, my depression is hormonal (I'm like an axe murderer if I'm not on the pills around period time) but my sex drive hasn't diminshed. Unlucky for me cos I have these issues I've sought help from gyne and now partner won't touch me!

think that you have to just concentrate on yourself more. make sure you take time out and play, I always find it difficult to sleep, luckily I have a partner that will sleep through a hurricane as I lie there happily masturbating until I'm relaxed enough to drop off.

fuzzy22a wrote:

I have a partner that will sleep through a hurricane as I lie there happily masturbating until I'm relaxed enough to drop off.

This.

:)

Hi guys

Ive been given antidepressants for shinggles pain
25mg one a day this hasnt affected my sex drive at the minuet although thy do make me sleepy
(And not doing much for the pain either)

Only been on them a couple of weeks so maybe iam not the person to ask

I have been on antidepressants a few times and it completely depends.. the first time my sex drive was the first to go and last to come back but this time i seem to have gained twice the sex drive i had prior.... so either the pills are working and getting me back to me or i am having an adverse affect..

You are far from weird or normal hun x

Cap54 wrote:

Hi guys

Ive been given antidepressants for shinggles pain
25mg one a day this hasnt affected my sex drive at the minuet although thy do make me sleepy
(And not doing much for the pain either)

Only been on them a couple of weeks so maybe iam not the person to ask

They usually take 3 to 4 weeks to kick in and take affect depending on which tablets and or dosage etc.

I'm not on antidepressants, the Dr wants me to have them but I really hate taking pills. I do struggle with mood sometimes but for me wearing my jiggle balls really helps, maybe the stimulation releases hormones that improve my mood.

i have recently purchased the Lelo Lyla 2 which is great but the charge doesn't last as long as I would like.

Either might be worth a try just to see if the stimulation gets you in the mood more often

Fun Louise wrote:

I'm not on antidepressants, the Dr wants me to have them but I really hate taking pills.

I know the feeling. I was really anti taking them but it was a lot better than I thought it was going to be. Occasionally I have a really angry moment and think about throwing my toys out the pram and pills out the window but reality kicks in and I realise I'm doing it for a reason, the same as someone with high blood pressure would take tablets for that.

I took a long time off work with a big depressive episode. But i beleive it was my depression and not the medication that killed my sex drive. But after being on the anti depressants a few weeks my first attempt at sex it took me forever to come and it was rather uncomfortable (forgot to say, im male). Im still not fully better so still have a low sex drive, am still on the meds but when on occasions i do have sex everything is fine and enjoyable (and my sex drive generally still seems to follow my mood/depression and not my meds)