Sex life off the boil

Hi all

First of all apologies for reaching out after not ever really contributing much to the forums but after a bit of advice!

My gorgeous wife and I have been through one hell of a time with one thing and another over recent years. Ultimately our sex life went way off the boil some time ago apart from with the goal of conceiving. Fantastic news that we have and everything is progressing well but I miss our sex life immensely! It has always been me taking the lead with outfits, toys, trying new things. But now sheā€™s not even interested in the basics and we can go weeks without anything.

Itā€™s making me quite down and Iā€™m being very hard on myself. Iā€™ve tried talking but nothing really changes.

I am obviously over the moon we are having a baby, and understand her anxieties, but it doesnā€™t make things any less tough.

Apologies if I sound like an ass and equally open to be told if that is the case.

Look forward to hearing some views - preferably from both sexes!

6 Likes

Hey Mike, welcome back! :slight_smile:

Is it your first baby, or at least is it the first time your wife is pregnant? Iā€™m no expert but Iā€™ve heard that itā€™s not uncommon that sex life gets rather dead when expecting a baby (as well as for a few months after it arrives).

1 Like

Hi

First baby yes!

Iā€™ve heard things can go either way. Unfortunately ours has gone the flat route. The thing is it had already gone that way pre-pregnancy aside from essentially timetabled sex if you get what I mean

2 Likes

No need to apologise. We need people asking for advice just as much as people giving it. :slightly_smiling_face:

Procreation can often take the fun out of sex, and it can be quite tricky to get the magic back when youā€™ve got so many other things going on. Itā€™s often just a phase, but it can be a long one.

When Mrs Chimp was pregnant with our twins a few years back we just gave up on sex. :slightly_smiling_face: She wasnā€™t interested, she was very uncomfortable in general (as she was chock full of kids), and she was incredibly temperamental. And then after they were born there was the physical healing, as well as Mrs Chimp feeling quite self conscious about the changes to her body. And there were some babies to look after too. :slightly_smiling_face: This was also not a sexy time.

However, we did get back into the groove of things eventually (with a littlelot of help from Lovehoney, actually), but it was more about when Mrs Chimp was ready rather than me.

I masturbated in the bathroom a lot. :slightly_smiling_face: Though if Iā€™d known at the time about all the male toys you can get Iā€™d have purchased a few of those. :+1: Good communication is useful too. If you can say to your partner ā€˜do you mind if I buy a couple of sex toys to tide me over?ā€™ then I think that can help remove some of the secrecy around having a crafty wank.

I know itā€™s probably not the most optimistic advice you were hoping for, and people will have different experiences, but on a postive note our sex life is pretty great now. :+1: It just took a bit of time. :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Hi Ian

Thanks for this. I mean honesty is as good as optimism. And hearing it might not just be that sheā€™s gone off me is hopeful!

The problem comes though in that I do worry if I did rake the ā€œopenly masturbate moreā€ or toys option it would actually cause more problems. I almost feel like I canā€™t. And definitely if I went down the toys route I think Iā€™d end up upsetting her. So itā€™s a bit lose-lose on that one.

But. I do have hope that things will get better again. Fingers crossed at least

It does affect some people that way, so itā€™s good to be cautious. I didnā€™t have the ā€˜can I wank?ā€™ conversation for very similar reasons (and I didnā€™t even think about toys at the time). I do wonder if it would have been easier if I had asked her, but hindsight is always a bit rosier. :slightly_smiling_face: She says now she would have been fine with it, but whether thatā€™s what sheā€™d have said at the time is a whole different thing. :slightly_smiling_face:

Being affectionate and attentive can help bring back a bit of intimacy (not sex so much as closeness). Massages, little treats, compliments, that sort of thing. Curling up and watching TV together. Obviously you can over do it and become a bit cloying, but use your judgement, and you should be able to tell if she appreciates it or not. :+1: Itā€™s nice to feel loved, and I think that has a big impact on mood (especially if, like Mrs Chimp, she starts to find it all a bit emotional).

I wish you the best of luck with everything though. :slightly_smiling_face::crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Thank you.

I have been trying lots of these things but will just keep persevering and trying not to take things too personally if it gets knocked back!

1 Like

I have to say @Ian_Chimp situation sound exactly like ours was (minus the twins, I just had one sprog squeezed in there lol) but I have o admit I went completely off sex. It also took a far while to come back fully too. Although we definitely did have sex after baby was born, Iā€™d say it took around 18months for our sex life to bounce back.

On a ā€˜can I wankā€™ front, Iā€™d have welcomed this type of conversation. Mainly, and this is just how I found the situation, I felt under pressure all the time. Mr didnā€™t do anything wrong at all, but I felt so guilty. Like I wasnā€™t giving him enough, I wasnā€™t paying him enough attention and all that stuff. I think if Iā€™d had that conversation with him I might have relieved the pressure for both of us.

I donā€™t think Iā€™d have liked him to just come out and tell me he was wanking instead of us having sex, but if we were having a conversation about sex etc and he slipped it in, Iā€™d have felt relived for sure.

I hope a females insight has helped some what. I have been in your shoes, it does pass believe me, but it is still very hard. Try and have lots of love and cuddles if your lady is up for that.

Good luck :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

I went 9 months with no sex, didnt once ask, knew Iā€™d get knocked back! Every woman is different but I imagine sex is miles down there priority list, they normally feel tired, sick, tired, ugly, fat, stressed, tired, stressed, emotional and tired so just chill, wait for the baby to arrive, if things donā€™t improve a few months down the line then maybe bring it up again!

Just imagine if the roles were reversed and you was carrying and growing a baby inside youā€¦

2 Likes

Hi Mike

I canā€™t offer any real advice as I havenā€™t been in your shoes in terms of a baby on the way. I guess the most sensible thing would be to talk to her and hopefully try and understand the reasons for it.

Hope all works out. Congratulations on the pending arrival of your baby!

Hey @NWMike, I can fully empathise with your position. We suffered from infertility and spent two a years trying everything. Then we went through 4 rounds of IVF where my wife felt like she was prodded and poked so much that anything touching her body made her feel violated. So yes, basically the fun left out sex life, and my OH core focus was baby and nothing elseā€¦

We were very lucky to have two amazing children now, one has just turned 5 and the other 2 - and while Iā€™m sure youā€™re aware that parenting is very hard, tiring etc itā€™s worth every second of pain.

However I want to try and be honest - the conceiving itā€™s hard on both of you, pregnancy might also be hard tooā€¦you might be lucky enough that the ā€˜batshit crazy hormonesā€™ makes your partner very horny (as it does for someā€¦sadly bot for me) and then parenting is going to be the most tiring thing ever. From my experience this tiredness and stress killed libido in my wife.

However - there is light at the end of the tunnel - keep talking to your partnerā€¦good communication is key - and your allowed to feel miffedā€¦I was the same. However with all the Hormones during abs after pregnancy your OH will be going through a lot (and you too). I would say that I had reached the end of my tether about a year ago - my OH showed no interest at all, and anytime we ended up doing anything I felt like it was only because Iā€™d moanedā€¦however with time and continued good communication weā€™ve come out of the other end - abs are currently (in my eyes) experiencing some of the best sex life ive ever had.

My wife still thinks sheā€™s disgusting, and canā€™t shift the baby bellyā€¦no matter how many times I tell her sheā€™s the most beautiful thingā€¦but she is getting there.

This is a huge fork in the road in lifeā€¦youā€™ll need to get used to a huge changeā€¦but keep talking, and hugging and kissing and Iā€™m sure youā€™ll get back to something like normalā€¦but with an amazing little one tooā€¦

You are 100% not an assā€¦or if you areā€¦I am too!

Itā€™ll all be worth itā€¦and then you can start spending way too much on Lovehoney when the sex life comes flooding backā€¦as I am nowā€¦

3 Likes

As others have said, bringing a new born into the world is a massive life changing event that most of us blokes donā€™t fully comprehend the consequences of until we go through it. Smash the hell out of being a dad, spend as much time as possible building a relationship with your new child and put sex right to the bottom of YOUR priority list. The more relaxed your wife is the more chance you have of it rising up HER priority list. Life lesson preach over :grin:

5 Likes

Hi so hereā€™s my experience youā€™re not on your own, me and my wife had an amazing sex life 3-4 times a week normally and was experimenting different and new stuff. As soon as got pregnant with first stopped having sex ( I was still desperate for it she went off it) didnā€™t have sex again until started trying for second we have 2 and bit year age gap in between them, currently not had sex for just shy of 2 years again as soon as pregnant it stopped. I keep trying and get rejected every time always a different excuse, very little affection I have to push to get any cuddles or kisses definitely no oral or any other form of touching or playing! I get so frustrated and upset by it feel worthless and unloved tried talking about it she just gets annoyed every time I bring up sex in conversation. At end of tether

Firstly, congratulations on the forthcoming baby! You must be over the moon.

We have 2 kids and to be brutally honest each one was nothing short of a disaster for our sex life. It was great up to about a third of the way through (I loved the boobs getting bigger!) then the wife just lost interest completely and that was it for probably a year post birth. I think at one point with the first one we went 9 months or more without anything approaching anything remotely sexy.

The good newsā€¦ it comes back eventually when things settle down. Honestly my advice from personal experience is to get your head down and prepare to have your needs (sexual and otherwise) pretty well ignored until the child is 6 months old.

Now the difference with you is that things went flat BEFORE the baby figured in the equation so I donā€™t have the answers there. I can however say with a very high degree of confidence that the latter stages of pregnancy and first year of the babyā€™s life are probably not the best time to be pushing to fix your sex life.

1 Like

I view these situations as an opportunity to learn how to fulfil oneself rather than crave attention from others. :heartpulse:

1 Like

Hi @NWMike itā€™s not uncommon and sometimes it takes a lot of time consideration and talking to each other itā€™s a life changing experience for you both just sit back be as supportive as you can and take things easy I have been there good luck :crossed_fingers:

1 Like