Sex on the priority list

@mrssaffa

I’m sorry to hear that about your partner. In those kinds of circumstances it’s harder to step out of the mindset when it’s a source of trauma.

I appreciate that you think I bring up though provoking concepts (paraphrased).

To be clear, this wasn’t always easy for my partner to do, even with her innate natural submissive nature. It was a point we had to decide to reach together.

When repeated discussions of argument/feelings of not being listened to kept re-occurring. (From both, by both), while in the middle of helping her get her divorce from her abusive ex, who wouldn’t stop harassing her to the point of having to get a restraining order.

I just proposed the idea.

We are both most comfortable in the bedroom right? We both know how and what we do there and the appreciation and love are always shown there right? The bedroom is our source of confidence. Our place to show our love. And where we both know we are accepted. Correct?”

If so. When we are caught in a loop. Bad mood. Bad topic. Bad argument. Whatever. Why don’t we go to our source of comfort. So we can show each other the momentary is…momentary.

But our love for each other isn’t. That’s always there. If we show it there, where it’s easiest (for us) to show it. Maybe the momentary issue will be lessened.

Does a trial run at that sound fair?

Neither one of us can stand arguing. We can’t stand it when we feel not :revolving_hearts:intertwined.

So. We tried it. And it made the cuddling after easier and from there the actual conversation without the argument usually comes up. And is usually resolved then and there.

It works for us. Because we made an active decision to make that room our “temple of safety from negativity.”It may not work for everyone. But. Everyone has a choice. Including whether to stay mad and upset. Or to choose to “change venue,” and show love and appreciation instead, and table the negativity.

(It’s all in that book i mentioned that you said you appreciated the link of in another thread, that I learned these principles from. They just were again, applied in an every day/business/self help sense instead of a Sexual one.)

I can’t claim credit for the idea. But I can state that it was a tangent from an idea from that book that has benefited both of us immensely.

It isn’t always easy. But. You know the proverbial definition of attitude from the affirmation posters/reminders right?It is a choice.

This idea is also a choice. One both of you have a choice to make together to try and see how it works. It’s basically neural remapping.

Taking a negative moment. Making it a positive one instead. And then clearing the air afterwards with the lack of heat in the argument/moment/whatever. To see how a different perspective changes the “moment of contentions,” effect and resolution.

As long as both of you know your love is permanently there. And the moment of contention is there momentarily I would like to say I feel pretty confident you’ll find the same safe haven we have.

1 Like

Sex is very important to me, but no longer with much connection to relationship or marriage, I am trying to step off that particular wheel of samsara. :sparkling_heart:

3 Likes

This topic really hit home for me.

All other aspects of my marriage had dwindled away to virtually nothing (both our faults / no ones fault). But we continued to have a lot of sex.

This was probably the only aspect of the four that I felt able to focus on. Through counselling I have realised that sexual pleasure / being wanted sexually was a coping mechanism (I had many).

The phrase sex isn’t everything is so true.

4 Likes

I absolutely agree with your reference to the phrase that sex isn’t everything. And that if can be detrimental if it’s all you feel your relationship has left as a coping mechanism.

But I still stand by my statement that it can be used (in the right ways for the right reasons), to build a bridge to repairing other aspects of relationships.

As long as both partners have discussed it and agree.

Summary, one line?

I think Sex is neither good nor bad, but the intentions and reasons behind the desire for sex, can be either good, bad, or both, or all at the same time.

4 Likes

I think sex is fairly high on my priority list. I think everyone is made differently but a sexless marriage wouldn’t sit well with me if all the other items would be checked off.

I think it is a natural progression if both people are healthy and attracted to each other.

1 Like

Jeez. This is really tough for me to judge as I’ve been married for almost 16 years, we’ve been together for 19, known each other for 20. We developed a deep friendship over the course of a year while we were distracted by our interest in others and then stumbled our way into a relationship that was obvious to everyone but us. We then did hold off on fully consummating our relationship until we married, though we certainly explored and confirmed that our chemistry was undeniable.

Then when I look at this list, and I consider our relationship, it really feels like splitting hairs to distinguish emotional from spiritual from partnership in our relationship. And then I’ve always considered our sexual relationship to be a really solid barometer of our entire relationship health. It’s not everything, but it sure can indicate that we’ve got issues elsewhere if it starts slipping (and also an indicator for our physical health and well-being, if anything needs to be adjusted there.

So… I dunno. If I had to rank, maybe like:

1. Partnership/Friendship
  2. Emotional relationship
  3. Spiritual relationship
  4. Sexual relationship
2 Likes