Sizing help?!

I've been trawling through old posts about sizing etc. but I couldn't find an answer to this one...

My girlfriend's 36C/D and a size 16/18 (I think!), so if I was to buy her this..

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=13357

..I assume I'd go for the size 36, BUT, are the thong and stockings likely to fit?

The first person to respond wins that nice warm feeling you get when you've just helped some clueless idiot pick a christmas present for his girlfriend.

Well I have to say that's a very unhelpful sizing chart LH!!! *slaps wrist*

OK first thing's first, you MUST look through her often worn bra and clothes to get right sizes, no guessing!

Now I presume 36 refers to the bra size. Let me tell you a bit about bra sizes: it's the band under the bust that this number referers to. Bras are supposed to be tight so amount of fat should not affect fit (fit to ribs not to lie nicely on top of fat (remember I have fat so am not criticising!))

That means can be 36 bra size but can have very little relation to rest of size and for this, rest of size matters!!

Example, I'm a 34D but I have a BIG tummy. I have to be careful that things sized by bra size are big enough for the rest of me. EG in Ann Summers (I know, sorry!) I wear size 14-16, although I am generally a 14.

I say this so you can be careful and take it into consideration.

Personally I always buy bigger than smaller if in doubt coz there's nothing more soul destroying that something being too small, but I know other women have argued strongly that they like to be thought of as smaller so go smaller option.

Um OK maybe I'm not being terribly helpful but I'm trying to outline the dangers of clothes shopping for women.

Best suggetsion is to get her actual measurements and compare to garment (maybe by buying 36 in time and measuring while flat and can exchange if worried).

Anyone else want to give more helpful advice than me?

OK wanna add that stockings should not be a problem for 16/18. Personally at a 14 I find these types of thongs to stick into my flab and make me look worse sometimes, I generally dislike em if they are just small, large etc not 14, 16, 18. Like I said, get the measurements and compare because this is the safest option!

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure that she's 36D (90% of her bras back me on this) and some of her clothes are 16 and some are 16/18 so I might go for the size 38 and see what that's like?

I'll probably order later tonight (with a few other bits and pieces) so if anyone thinks this is a bad idea - let me know!!

Yeah it's gotta be 36 or 38 methinks. I ust have trouble understanding the sizing chart in comparison to 36 etc offered. Maybe wait until Ruth or Carly can help?

I would be inclined to go for the 38 and then measure it against her bras and maybe something that you know fits well, that way if you could always return it if you dont think its right. (As imelda has said) And i agree with Imelda (as a fuller figure myself too) its always nicer if something is too big rather than too small. Good luck, i think your girlfriend will just be over the moon that you have gone to the trouble for her.

It's done! I went for the 38.

Thanks everyone for your help*.

*I can blame each of you if it's wrong!

Good luck Jimbobaluba.....If everything goes horribly wrong...it was nice knowing you.

Yeh, if I suddenly disappear, it's because my girlfriend found out I'd posted her measurements on the internet!!

Or that you got them wrong and u feel a womans wrath!

Me get it wrong? It was all ImeldaImelda and Libby - I'm completely blameless!

Ha yeah we'll take the blame. But you will get it right coz you will MEASURE when it comes! (Measure existing underwear that fits well) Good luck!

What a nice guy! No-one's ever bought me underwear before :-(

I agree with Imelda and Libby (Hi, Imelda - thanks for the welcome on the other thread :-) ) - go for a 38, and measure it up on the quiet: plus, I seem to remember that when knickers and thongs are sized with underwear, where they aren't one-size a 38 is about a 16 round the bottom. Personally, I'd rather have my undies on the loose side, rather than the tight - but that's probably because I don't have a niced toned bum. (Or a nice toned anything, now I think of it!) Good Luck!

Jimbobaluba wrote:

Me get it wrong? It was all ImeldaImelda and Libby - I'm completely blameless!External Media

LOL Yes we'll take the blame for you!!! but as imelda says make sure you measure it against her other underwear. Good Luck, let us know how you get on and if you are still alive after xmas! Sure she will love it tho.

Will do! Just bought a few bits and pieces from LaSenza too with my new found knowledge!

Quick update - I've compared it to her other underwear and all looks ok. I got the size 38 and if the knickers look to be about 16/18 so I hope they're not too big. The only thing I will say is that it doesn't look great as a present (not sure what I was expecting really! I'll have to get a box and some fancy paper and stuff to wrap it up in for christmas. Any ideas?!

I think you should get a large shallow box, you wouldnt need a deep box for lingerie.

It would need to be big enough to lay the basque flat, and then lay the undies just overlapping at the bottom, then get black gift wrap tissue paper, and lay a couple of pieces over the bottom of the box, with some excess on either side, then place the lingerie in the box and then fold the tissue paper over the lingerie and put on the lid, then perhaps get some good ribbon to go around the box, and hey presto!!!

A very expensive looking and beautifully packaged lingerie set, and she will be thrilled ^_^

Sorry if thats a lil too detailed, hehe, i like gift wrapping things :)

x x x

Morbidia is spot on there! That will make it look gorgeous. Don't worry about the size of the knickers honestly as a fuller figured woman i would be far more devastated if they were too small!! Hope you and your OH both enjoy your xma pressie!

xmas, even!!

ok now i want an edit button on this forum!

Jimbobaluba wrote:

I've been trawling through old posts about sizing etc. but I couldn't find an answer to this one...

My girlfriend's 36C/D and a size 16/18 (I think!), so if I was to buy her this..

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=13357

..I assume I'd go for the size 36, BUT, are the thong and stockings likely to fit?

The first person to respond wins that nice warm feeling you get when you've just helped some clueless idiot pick a christmas present for his girlfriendExternal Media.

For Gods sake man! Choose carefully!!!!! Get a size too big & she'll think you reccon she's a whale, get a size too small & she'll think you are hinting that she needs to loose a few pounds. Surely you can remember those loaded, no win questions like..... can you tell I'm wearing make up!? This is one of those!

I'ts better to play it safe & buy something one size or safer to call like a sexy baby doll !

Good luck, you'll need it!