Spelling!

EmilyBlenkins wrote:

Oh, embarrassed is one for me too, I always get confused by the amount of double letters..

And I'm still not completely sure if a lot is one word or not because it's such a common mistake.. But I'm pretty sure it's two, correct me if i'm wrong.

A lot is def two words EB, so you're right :-)

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

Neccisary is a word I often have problems with. (is it spelled right there?) and its even worse when it is the word - neccisaraly.

I think usually my spelling is quite good, but I sometimes have problems when it comes to the difference between English Spelling and American Spelling.

There is a page I have just found that lists the differences between English and American spelling, and there are some I didn't even know!

http://www2.gsu.edu/~wwwesl/egw/jones/differences.htm

It's necessary AA or necessarily :-)

xx

Ah thank you MTC x

Necessary always used to catch me out with the Cs and Ss but then someone said "one cup two sugars" and I never get it wrony now, don't even really have to stop and think!

I hate American spellings - you get a lot of it in science (signaling vs. signalling, dimerize vs. dimerise) it really winds me up.

Adx

EmilyBlenkins wrote:

Ah thank you MTC x

I saw a great blog post on this:

Here we go http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html

Genius and you'll never forget again External Media

Adx

Ahaha thanks Ad!

Alicia D'amore wrote:

EmilyBlenkins wrote:

Ah thank you MTC x

I saw a great blog post on this:

Here we go http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html

Genius and you'll never forget again External Media

Adx

Aww I want an 'alot' Great post Ad x

i am ashamed to say that i cant spell really do struggle sometimes think i am a bit word blind

My spelling is generally good. I'm unable to think of any words that I consistently mis-spell -- only ones that I'd look up if I was in any doubt. My typing is less reliable, though, as anyone who has chatted with me has probably noticed!

Quirkily, I get cross with myself when I make mistakes, but I'm very tolerant of other people. It's only an annoyance to me if I sense that the other person isn't making a proper effort to communicate (e.g. text speak -- ugh!). The odd duff spelling isn't usually an obstacle for me, and I'm far more interested in seeing people express themselves freely than getting every little detail right.

My spelling is awful there are so many words that I get wrong and so many times I type the same word incorrectly, just ask anyone who has spoken to me on chat lately lols.

I usually use a spell checker for words that look wrong, my spelling is not very good.

i'm severley dyslexic so my spelling is a little bit rubbish ( it's the best out of my family though)

i try to proof read and everything but some words are tricky for me.

Too right AA! neccesary 1 of mine too. And incognito - that looks right now! Incogneto ?

I use opera so generally it checks my spelling as I type - how handy to cover up mistakes ;) And now that I own a blackberry phone and that too spellchecks for me and autocorrects I think I'm losing the ability to spell without them. :| haha

Manhoover! lol :D

Can never spell diarrhoea. Thankfully, I don't often have to.

looks right to me AA

i am terrible at spelling and i always seem to forget the easiest of words to spell, i normally get my off and of's mixed up too, maybe i should go back to school.

Lovehoney - Alice wrote:

Can never spell diarrhoea. Thankfully, I don't often have to.

One of my modules at uni last year was a parasitology course - that taught me how to spell diarrhoea haha!

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

I'm trying to remeber how to use apostrophies. It's more complicated than it sounds.

John's going to the theatre.

Johns' theatre is closing down.

The 2 Johns are going to the theatre.

Right?

The second one is wrong. The second one suggests two Johns own the theatre. You need an apostrophe before the S :)

In your second post - the apostrophe goes before the S in every case.

You have an apostrophe *after* the S if the name/word already has an s at the end (i.e. a surname like Matthews or a plural word) and you could always write it "Matthews's" if you wanted to (so the same rules apply, add an apostrophe and an S to possessives)

The only case you don't add an apostrophe to a possessive is if you're saying it belongs to "it". The something belonging to it is "its" belonging.

Adx

THE believe it or not, or words that start the. When typing I always get the h and e the wrong way round... I did it typing this!

Necessary, particularly. especially...