Swing advice please

Hey all, first time poster here, only stumbled onto LH the other day, and seems much better than other sites I have used in the past

Myself and my OH have been debating investing in a swing, but are concerned about anchoring it to the ceiling. We live in a fairly new house (4-5 years old) and finding a beam shouldnt be too much issue by routing about in the loft, but they look a bit to weak to support the weight.

Have tried a google on attaching heavy things to the ceiling and most posts that come back are about punch bags, where I got the general feeling that people were not keen on a 100lb bag, let alone the weight of a person.

Anyone got any experience with putting one up? We could use the door frame, but would rather have the freedom of the full bedroom if possible.

Thanks in advance

Jojo

Could you try a frame for the swing instead of hanging it from the ceiling?? http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=7455

Would mean it could be anywhere in the bedroom (space allowing), but not just on the door and also doesn't need to be fixed to the ceiling :)

YoungHavingFun wrote:

Could you try a frame for the swing instead of hanging it from the ceiling?? http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=7455

Would mean it could be anywhere in the bedroom (space allowing), but not just on the door and also doesn't need to be fixed to the ceiling :)

We did look at frames, but figured it would be easier trying to explain what a hook was in the ceiling to our 3 year old that why we had a swing inside rather than the garden :P

They are collapsible as far as I'm aware though... To be honest I would think a hook was more suspicious, if I saw a hook in the middle of someone's room I'd immediately think it was for a swing haha

Hi,

The usual method for fixing anything in the manner you describe is to fit additional timber in the loft running accress several of the roof trusses - then the loading is spread accross a far greater area - can then easily support a persons weight--. good luck

Ginger has the right idea.

If you have access to your loft - you're onto a winner. No need for a frame!

Thanks for the replies, gonna get up in the loft later and have a look with what Im dealing with, have def got access so should be no problem :)

Please don't fix to just one trus could be a disaster, imagen trying to explain to the insurer, make a frame in the loft to allow the waight to bared on more beams over more surface area, buying the timber now will save a lot in the future. but the most inportant thing is to have fun and be safe, wear a hard hat