The taboo of sex in our society

I’ve seen interrogations about it on internet and I kind of agree with that, but… how comes it’s so taboo to even talk about consented sex (even just alone, without a partner), when in opposite we have murders in series/movies that are rated -10, video games where it’s the objective, even in disney movies it’s barely hidden that meanies try to murder, succeed to, or die because they were trying to murder (Tarzan, Beauty and the Beast, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Up!)? When we know that it’s healthy for toddlers of 4 years old to explore their body, when it’s just healthy, natural and in the end important, we actually shame, hide, in fear for child abduction…

I know in France, it has been discussed since early 2000 to give 7 years old kids some form of sex ed that consists in telling them their body belongs to themselves, and if someone wants to touch them they should say no if they’re uncomfortable and tell adults about it to be protected (which would also protect children from perverts among their family, religion, school and medical field, by making them identify bad behavior), and some conservatives turned into “omg they’ll show kids how to masturbate!”

But let’s come back on the opposition murder vs consented sex. Isn’t it more normal to teach children the way many of them were made, rather than to teach them what bad intended people could want to do out of hatred? Hopefully they’re more likely to accidentally see their parents doing things, than people killing each other, right? And it’s better for them to understand what they see than to leave them with a taboo that will sit in their brain for years.

I don’t even understand why it’d be so shocking to think of teenagers under 18 buying sex toys to explore themselves alone. What’s wrong with that? And some of the people who agree with all that culture of taboo also are okay with 16 years old being parents, I really don’t get that.

As long as kids/teenagers understand all the health part (safe sex, using safe tools), the respect (consent), I really don’t see why it should be better guarded than murders.

1 Like

Well we do have the rule P.A.N.T.S that we have always told our children, the youngest to be able to understand is 4 if your not familiar with PANTS it is a simple and clever acronym devised to teach children the underwear rule: privates are private; always remember your body belongs to you; no means no; talk about secrets that upset you and speak up, someone can help .

Our eldest is 9 and he will be learning some type of sexual education this school year, and we have a really open talk house so our children know that with us it’s always a safe space to talk even if they just want to talk to one of us.

But you are right with all different types of things out there sex is one thing that’s embarrassing for some to talk about, we was just having a similar conversation about how people (including ourselves like watching true crime) won’t talk to there children and other adults about sex, we have a friend just the mention of a word like vagina makes her cringe, I suppose people just feel different about different things and everyone is always going to have a different opinion.

6 Likes

Never heard of the rule PANTS, probably because I’m not in an English speaking country, but I dig it! It’s so healthy!

That said, I’m talking about the whole society, not on small scales like your family. I’m talking about schools and movies/video games rating, about social conventions, about laws and “S&P”

2 Likes

Yeah I know obviously the feeling of shooting NPCs (or even PCs in pvp) is a whole different thing than murdering, I was rather talking about cinematic, meaningful and emotional deaths in games, where you’re supposed to get attached to some characters…

1 Like