Took my pill 13 hours late....

I've been on the pill for years but I'm in a bit of a dilemma!

I usually take my pill (combined pill) in the morning (yesterday I took it at 10am) but today I was a complete durr and forgot to take it until 11.30pm.

Techically I'm out of the 12 hour window but it's only by about 1-2 hours. Will it matter? I've been looking around and some sites say it will be fine, others say use barrier contraception for 2 days and others say use barrier contraception for a week.

I'm so annoyed as my boyfriend are having a week away on Saturday. I never usually forget my pill! Grrrrr. Advice would be good... will it be okay? xx

Nhs direct would be the best people to ask. They will give you the correct info and then you can go and enjoy your week :-)

if you have been on the pill that long... no it shouldn;t matter. That was the advice I recieved from the doc once, after forgetting. The body had a large build up aparently.

dotdashdot wrote:

I've been on the pill for years but I'm in a bit of a dilemma!

I usually take my pill (combined pill) in the morning (yesterday I took it at 10am) but today I was a complete durr and forgot to take it until 11.30pm.

Techically I'm out of the 12 hour window but it's only by about 1-2 hours. Will it matter? I've been looking around and some sites say it will be fine, others say use barrier contraception for 2 days and others say use barrier contraception for a week.

I'm so annoyed as my boyfriend are having a week away on Saturday. I never usually forget my pill! Grrrrr. Advice would be good... will it be okay? xx

i know this is going to sound naughty, but, i wouldnt even worry. the chances of getting pregnant in general are tiny - 15-25% chance of getting pregnant in them few days when youre most fertile each month. when you add the amount of contraception in your blood (which takes a few months to clear completely), the fact youre only only out by 1/2 hours, and have still taken it (meaning youre not going to release an egg....)

to summarise, id say youre still 98-99% protected . doctors just say that to cover their backs haha. dont even think about it, honestly

Horny Glass Lover wrote:

if you have been on the pill that long... no it shouldn;t matter. That was the advice I recieved from the doc once, after forgetting. The body had a large build up aparently.

yep they do. they have a very long half life.

I agree with Hella. I'm a betting man so know all about chances but... this is not a horse-race. Pretty sure he won't turn you down if you ask him to wear a condom??

Id rather not have sex than have a baby unplanned

I'd definately be safe than sorry. I'd been on the pill two years before trying for my second child and as soon as I came off it I caught straight away. Literally I stopped taking my pill after having my period and I didn't get another untill after he was born.

I wouldn't worry about it. Especially if you're in the middle of your pill packet.

I used to miss mine regularly, sometimes two in a row and often have sex (I know, naughty me but in my defence I'd forgotton that I'd forgotton to take the pill!). BUT that'snot to say you won't be caught out!

I'd wait and see.

I am for better safe than sorry. The chances are small, but there is still the small probability, that it would fail. A lot depends on the woman herself. Every woman reacts completely different to hormones.

the chances of getting pregnant in general are tiny - 15-25% chance of getting pregnant in them few days when youre most fertile each month

Small, yes, but some women can get pregnant immediately after stopping to protect themselves. And unless you have previous experience, you cannot really guess if this will be your case or not.

I think it would be wise to wear a condom during sex in the comings week instead of being stung... I presume you are uncomfortable with condoms and their sensations so might I suggest the Passante Unique as in my opinion, they are virtually unnoticeable - a real life saver for a man whose OH is on constant antibiotics! :)

Thanks for all the replies guys!

It's a bit of a dilemma as I know it would probably be okay but definitely rather be safe than sorry. Condoms it is. Bleghhhh. But better than a baby! xxxx