Combined pill out of date

I am currently on the waiting list to get the contraceptive implant and the doctors say it can take up to two months to be seen for it. I have a week left of my current pack and then a week break and then I have to start my last pack but the only thing is my last pack goes out of date in June when I’m supposed to be taking it. Can I still take them? I don’t know what to do since I’ve never had this issue before. If not, what can I do to get more pills since I can’t be off contraception for any amount of time.

2 Likes

I’m no expert but i doubt they’ll suddenly become ineffective overnight. Maybe you could ask a local pharmacist for their opinion, they are happy to help with queries!

1 Like

Ho no @sharbur I would be very careful about taking out of date things especially contraceptives. I can see a month of abstinence on the horizon. But surely the doctor could prescribe a further supply. I wish you luck.

1 Like

If you are using it for hormone control, it may be ok but I really wouldn’t risk it if using as a contraceptive.

However, you can now buy contraceptive pills without the need to see a doctor. You normally need to speak to a pharmacist or fill out an online questionnaire. Boots and Superdrug both sell them, as does the contraceptive info site The Lowdown. I’m sure there are others as well.

2 Likes

@sharbur I wonder if you can take the packet to the pharmacy and explain the situation… you may be able to swop it for another pack. They may need to ring your GP to check…

Worth a try?

3 Likes

I’ve taken expired birth control pills without realizing and I wouldn’t recommend :sweat_smile: Mine were only out of date by a few months but I got spotting for over a month even after I realized and started a non-expired pack :sweat_smile: Luckily I didnt get pregnant but I was so worried :cry: Talk to your GP or the pharmacy where you got it from, healthcare providers are usually pretty understanding, especially if you only got the pills recently or within the last year (since I’ve occasionally gotten a few packs close to expiring :roll_eyes: :woman_facepalming: :sweat_smile:) :+1:

2 Likes

Not sure pills could go out of date but if in doubt get a new pack