Vegan Condoms

Hi folks. I’d like to hear about your experiences with vegan condoms! I’ve tried Glyde but didn’t like them, neither myself or my previous partner were a fan. I saw that Lovehoney has two brands (Hanx and Fair Square) - has anyone tried them? Are there any other brands you like? Pros and cons for any brands in your bedside drawer?

2 Likes

Hey @nieve!

Hanx are the ones I use :raising_hand_woman:t2: I’m not vegan, but like to be a bit more eco-friendly where possible, which is why I picked these up initially a few years ago (as well as the lush packaging). I’ll be honest in that I’m not a huge condom fan in general, and so don’t use them super frequently (and therefore others might have more reliable answers) but these are my favourite condoms I’ve tried. I’m obviously not the wearer so can’t comment from that side, but I’ve always had positive feedback and never any negatives :blush:

Pros:
Super thin - feels so much better than other brands, it actually feels good
Still feels secure and safe even though they’re super thin
Don’t have that horrible condom smell, they smell pretty neutral which I like
Packaging is gorgeous - I know it may be irrelevant for some but I much prefer having these in my handbag

Cons:
They’re not cheap. If you buy from Lovehoney it’s £1.69 a fuck!

They come in 3 packs which unfortunately Lovehoney don’t sell, but this is what I bought initially to see if I liked them. I think if it’s something you’re using every day then you might not want something so spenny but it all depends on your personal circumstances :blush:

5 Likes

Going to show my ignorance here, I understand that some people are allergic to latex and I understand that people don’t like the smell of the cheaper condoms but for years it has been easy to obtain condoms that don’t smell disgusting.

Most condoms are biodegradable to a large extent apparently, the packaging is far from biodegradable.

I can also try to understand if @nieve wants to be vegan but there is nothing eco-friendly about any of the ‘lush’ packaging and it is all going in land fill or left as litter after use.

What is the definition of a Vegan condom? Does it include all the packaging - I doubt it.

1 Like

Thank you for your opinion @Private_member, I was merely giving mine.

Hanx is a sustainable brand and a lot more eco-friendly than some other condom brands out there. The packaging of the condom itself is not recyclable as they have to be wrapped in foil (like all condoms) but the outer packaging is recyclable. Furthermore, their production has reduced energy consumption, chemical load, and waste. Their production has a waste water treatment and compared to plastics, rubber articles degrade very quickly.

The latex used in Hanx condoms is fairly sourced and traded and is certified as Fair Rubber, which also means the people who work on such latex plantations work reasonable hours and paid a living wage.

Eco-friendly and vegan are completely different terms, I was purely giving the reason to the original poster why I was initially drawn to the brand, and yes, the lush packaging was also a factor. I’m not quite sure why you’re so offended by that.

A certified vegan condom means that they do not include any animals or use animal by-products in their products. Hanx condoms are also cruelty free, meaning they never test on animals. So in answer to your question, yes, this also means the packaging is vegan.

I’ll also add that this information is all available by a quick search of the world wide web, so if they were genuine questions you could have easily found them.

3 Likes

Never knew vegan condoms was a thing! What’s all the others made from then?

1 Like

@AJSTAR most condoms use a softening ingredient called casein which is a milk protein.

@nieve (and anyone else interested in the vegan aspect) all Pasante condoms are also vegan

4 Likes

That’s good as I use Pasante King Size. Wasn’t aware they were vegan though.

I am a bit confused . Is somebody consuming condoms ? I think maybe a better word would be earth friendly ?

Vegan isn’t just about what you eat. :slightly_smiling_face: It can be about not using animal products in things you use or wear either. :+1:

1 Like

Gosh I never knew of that, least medieval condoms still ain’t a thing as they used to use animal intestines I think!!

Lambskin condoms are still available today actually (which are made from intestinal membrane of a lamb)

2 Likes

Haha!! Really? How bizarre yet interesting to know

ethical veganism is a lifestyle choice and would include all products as far as possible. I’ve just switched to a vegan fabric conditioner, for example

2 Likes

What a great response, thanks heaps! I had a good laugh at £1.69 a fuck. That is quite a pretty penny per condom but I’ll still give them a try, you sold them pretty well.

Calie has already answered but yep to soften the latex during the rubber-making process, a lot of condoms use the milk protein casein. Vegan condom brands use plant-based alternatives such as thistle extract.

It’s super peculiar to me that casein is used in this process, I try to avoid purchasing such condoms. It’s not a deal breaker for me though, if the choice is ‘normal’ condom or no condom then casein condom it is :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Does anyone know how polyisoprene condoms such as Skyn (synthetic latex, basically) fit into this discussion?

The Skyn FAQs say their condoms are vegan-friendly, and that none of their products contain animal derivatives.

1 Like

Ooo interesting that Pasante are!

Did do an internet search before posting and noticed that ‘vegan’ cardboard is very expensive and rarely used in the commercial domain.

My point was mixing eco-friendly with vegan is irrelevant, if you want to be vegan then fine , I would be surprised if any condom (including packaging) actually is vegan.

Then there is the issue of what ‘eco-friendly’ rubbish actually end up being recycled and don’t just end up dumped in Africa or Asia but of course that is off topic.

Would be interested to know if there really is a ‘vegan’ condom out there (including lube and packaging - there would be a very long internet project for you.

The OP is asking what those brands of condoms (Hanx and Fair Square) are like in use. Even if you didn’t buy them because they’re vegan, you can still share your experiences of them.

Have you used these particular condoms? (or have a brand you prefer instead)