vegi christmas

VirginAngel wrote:

honestly its just your favourite pasta, cooked with spinach thrown in for the last minute, then folded into a sauce made with melted down asda/tesco pesto soft cheese with a bit of milk to make it thinner.

I will definitely have to try this :) xx

There are so many things which you can get which are veggie and vegan.

With quorn ausages I prefer their cumberland ones.

Tescos ones are nice too, although they have stopped these for a bit (once again).

Redwoods/ vegi deli do nice meat free food although there is a big issue with their food going mouldy sadly, and that's even befgore it's been opened and out of date (really fussy with fridge temp). I prefer their sausages cold rather than cooked which is great as you can eat them out of the pack. They also do vegan salmon now, although it's not to my liking and I prefer other vegan brands of seafood (although redwoods fish fingers are always for a win).

I generally make a homemade nut roast and make up veggie pigs in blankets and and nice gravey with trimmings. Some years I've even been cooking it all for meat eaters on Christmas too.

Also a cheese board around christmas wins with vegie hands, pickles, and cheeses, oh and olives ^_^ Although I have a lot of vegan friends and famil now too so that means moe cheese for me (I only like a few vegan cheese and the best ones are often home made too).

This year if my chest infection clears I will be going to my families where I'll be the only veggie but will still be eating pretty much the same as I always do for Christmas as it's pretty simple now.

Lovehoney - Jess wrote:

CutieCurious wrote:

Scorpius12 wrote:

CutieCurious wrote:

I'm in the delightful position of being both a vegetarian and allergic to nuts. Wonderful. :P

I tend to just eat all of the trimmings on their own, or with Linda McCartney vegetarian sausages (I can't stand the taste of Quorn).

I find it pretty easy to eat a vegetarian Christmas dinner, but that's because I generally do the cooking. If someone else is cooking, or you're going to someone else's house for dinner, I imagine it might be a bit stressful.

We felt the same way a few years ago about Quorn, and stopped eating it, but a couple of years ago I tried it again, and we were very pleasantly surprised. They have changed the recipe completely, and it hasn't got that 'artificial-type' taste anymore - they really have updated it very well and I find it really tasty - may be worth you trying again as there is so much variety :) xx

I didn't know this! I might well give it another go then, Scorpius.

Yeah I have to say Quorn keeps getting better and better. For me though, Linda McCartney sausages win every time. I really don't like Quorn sausages. I've been gradually reducing my use of Quorn though due to the fact they use Palm Oil. They say it's responsibly sourced, but I still prefer to reduce how many products I buy which use it.

If you don't like Quorn though and fancy a change from veggie sausages, what about a nut roast?

Argh, I only just noticed this! Sorry for the delayed response - I don't eat nut roast because I have a nut allergy. It's fading with age, which is interesting (I didn't know that allergies could do that until this started to happen). If I eat nuts now, I end up with a bit of a sore throat and a cracking headache, but I don't have trouble breathing anymore. So, who knows - maybe in a few years I'll be fine to try my first nut roast!

I actually meant to post this for you, Jess, because you mentioned having a vegan Christmas - unfortunately I'm scatter brained and forgot about it until it was too late... oops. Still, maybe it'll give you ideas for next year :P It's a post from one of my favourite vegan bloggers, with some festive recipes:

http://www.ilovevegan.com/17-delicious-vegan-recipes-for-celebrating-the-holiday-season/

The missus is a veggie. She made chestnut and mushrrom pie. I think the highlight of my Christmas was her telling me "I need more mushrooms for my pie".