Christmas lunch/dinner

Completely off topic!

What’s everyone planning for Christmas Lunch/dinner? We were going to have jackfruit shredded and roasted with all the veg but I have bought some soup too which I think is more likely to be eaten :joy: pulling out all the stops this year thanks to Covid hitting the whole household :roll_eyes:

Also puddings, talk to me about puddings! I love puddings (probably why I look like one :rofl:) but find I eat way too much of the main so don’t have room for it :see_no_evil::woman_facepalming:t2:

So what’s on your Christmas menu this year?

P.s I can’t share the love at the moment because apparently I’ve used it all up and have to wait four hours :roll_eyes::joy:

5 Likes

Me and the OH love a Sunday Roast! First year we’ll be cooking it ourselves and both really too excited about it. It’s quite sad isn’t it but this has been the year of getting excited over the most mundane activities.

Turkey
Gammon
Stuffing balls
Pigs in blankets
Roast potatoes
Mash potatoes
Sweet potatoes
Parsnips
Peas
Broccoli
Sprouts
Bread sauce
Gravy (lots of the thick hot stuff)
Apple sauce
Cranberry sauce

Pudding - no idea yet!

Extremely excited about it!

2 Likes

Pudding is awesome. Were a bit traditional, so its trifle, mince pies with clotted cream (the best type of cream imho. But im cornish so slightly biased xD ) and christmas pudding with icecream

1 Like

It will be turkey with all the trimmings. My OH makes our Xmas pudding to my preferences, no nuts but extra cherries soaked in brandy, plus loads of brandy,sherry, whiskey and barley wine etc in the actual puddings which she makes around August. She also makes amazing Xmas cakes similarly boozy. I donated mine this year to a family that have endured a double tragedy recently so i will be content with the pudding.

3 Likes

I ordered a trifle but they were out of stock :pensive: we’re vegan so trifles are not easy to find! I was very excited and now very disappointed :joy:

@SubCharles sounds like you’re going to town for Christmas lunch! Enjoy it! Ordinarily I love cooking but I’m just not feeling Christmassy this year.

@Green_Eyed_Girl I miss clotted cream :drooling_face: definitely the best type of cream!

1 Like

@WillC that is SO lovely! Proper Christmas spirit there!

2 Likes

Thanks, at work we put a hamper together and i decided to put my cake in. It’s no big deal, i’m sure my OH will make me another in the new year, there will be plenty of other stuff to gorge on! :wink:

Still lovely! All the time and effort that goes into it and that it’s made to your preferences so you must really look forward to it. That’s what got me!

I made my Christmas cake this year ready for next Christmas. It will be fed every week and when it comes to Christmas it won’t be safe to eat and drive :joy::see_no_evil: just the way I like it! I don’t make my own Christmas pudding though, never tried it! I would like to try it but it seems too complicated for me. I’m a simple girl :sweat_smile:

1 Like

@Delightful87 understand that. It’s an absolutely horrific year for everyone even those lucky enough not to have suffered personal loss or losing their job. I’m in this category and have found it really hard so my heart goes out to those who have had to deal with real loss.

Regarding the meal. I love preparing them. ‘Alexa’ has helped massively. I just set several timers then sit down and start drinking and turn into a robot when Alexa tells me what to do!

1 Like

Yes, puddings are a faff even using a pressure cooker! My OH makes loads of Xmas cakes for friends, colleagues and local Christmas Fayre, so she’s usually got loads baked from July/August so she can feed them with alcohol. It just so happens that she’s already sold all of them except mine, but i was happy to donate it, as the family i mentioned are going to be a long time getting over it, if ever.

Assuming home delivery brings everything ordered it will be turkey with all the trimmings (but who knows could be something different or a panic rush to the supermarkets Wednesday evening!).

Have not thought about pudding yet, but possibly choice of lemon torte, mince pies (yet to be baked) or trifle.

OH is on call from 10am Christmas day until 10am Boxing day, so hoping it will be quiet for all our sakes.

Picked up a spiral cut ham , the main feature . Green bean casserole . I will have to get a vote on what else the wife and grandson want . Imagine sweet potatoes and a pie of some kind .

Forgot to mention…i have my eye on an M&S Billionaire’s Bullion Bar dessert, it says “serves eight” but i reckon i could eat half in one go! They did smaller ones a couple of years ago and they were divine! :yum: :yum: :yum:

1 Like

Ooh I’ve been having jackfruit “wings” for the past couple of Fridays. I missed the Satan Fingers in MeatLiquor and have been looking for a decent wing alternative for a couple of years. These definitely got me to appreciate jackfruit.

I think my partner has planned a nutroast with the trimmings (I haven’t even thought about puddings, though my local supermarket’s gingerbread doughnuts are my current fav. sweet).

1 Like

Hopefully we’ll have a roast, but my oh has recently gone vegetarian & her son is full vegetarian.

1 Like

Turkey with chestnut and cranberry stuffing, roast potatoes, pigs in blankets, parsnips, baby carrots, cauliflower cheese, cranberry sauce, bread sauce, gravy…
We usually go away but we will be at home this year. OH usually cooks and we open gifts first thing with bucks fizz. And it’s a pyjama day in our house.
None of us are really into puddings, but there will be cheese, crackers, smoked salmon and mince pies with cream available all evening and on Boxing day.
Boxing day lunch is dressed lobster halves - I prefer that to xmas dinner!
All this is courtesy of M&S…

I hope everyone here has the best day possible in the circumstances.

1 Like

Wee tradition at my home, it’s just my mum and me so we get up early and make a ton of the party platter foods and nibbles, we cover the entire kitchen counters with food and pick at it all day, sometimes order a Chinese, few bottles of wine, and the odd whiskey, sorted!

2 Likes

We have been eating vegetarian (OH and youngest daughter went down this route) . I’ve actually been enjoying it and I’m tempted with the nut roast they make but I’m thinking it will be turkey and all the trimmings. Desert daughter makes trifle and a home made malteser pie which is delicious with some double cream.

1 Like

We were supposed to be down to the wifes parents, but seeing the fuhrer has ruined that we are having our first Christmas at our house! Will be following Jamie Oliver’s book for the turkey etc. Normally start the day with bucks fizz and scrambled eggs!

1 Like

Oh bread sauce is the best. Seriously can never have enough of that stuff, why we only eat it at christmas is beyond me,

1 Like