Vinyl or CD

We've just got a (nearly) new turntable. I love the warm sound of vinyl but not the scratches, pops and dust/fluff. CDs are convenient but is the sound better?

Nothing beats the sound and feel of a new record. Aĺthough I am slowly migrating to FLAC lossless audio over mp3s for digital music. I have 17500 tracks in my collection so it will take a while!!

There something special about owning vinyl and putting the needle down to play the record

My daughter and I had lunch in an old fashioned Tes Shop a week or so back and in the corner they had one of those gramaphones playing (the ones with the big...trumpet type bit on it ?) No idea what you call them but It sounded amazing x

Luv vinyl , got lots of them . CDs are more practical and I can play them in the car.

Cd for the car, digital on the phone and vinyl for that special occasion when you want to hear the music.

Trouble is with kids I daren't play mine too often, so find my self buying multiple copies of some albums.

Vinyl for me anyday

I`m old enough to remember the problems of vinyl,i have a good ear for production/nuance etc,and i am not sure vinyl is best.I think it`s a bit `Emperor`s New Clothes` syndrome,with the record company trying to sell vinyl at inflated prices to an unsuspecting/hipster public! I prefer cd for house/car and mp3 for phone 32gb card in that!.My wife`s car has USB capability so i have 2 32gb sticks with all my music on them! I do like 5.1 surround mixes and have items like Dark Side Of The Moon,War Of The Worlds and Queen`s A Night At The Opera in that format,truly mindblowing! I am also a fan of music on HD 5.1 bluray.

Regarding vinyl,no matter how much i looked after my records,you still got pops and crackles and even jumps! I remember in the 80`s i bought Canterbury by Diamond Head on the day of release,it jumped on track 1,i took it back,the new one jumped in the same place! Apparently the whole 20,000 pressing was faulty,the record company wouldn`t pay for a new run and it killed the band as they were about to succeed.So no,vinyl is a no no for me! Plus,if you need to spend mega-bucks on equipment to make vinyl sound good,what`s the point?

I study this at univeristy and there's so many pros and cons of both!! We have a few arguments with lecturers on this matter and they last hours!

As an audio student I'm supposed to say Vinyl is better but I like both, depnding on the music itself is what makes either sound good. My favourtie band of all time is Pink Floyd and I much prefer vinyl copies of their music, same with David Bowie, my dad has a 1000+ vinyl collection from when he DJed in the 70/80s so I love going through it all and playing different tracks ^_^

I love the packaging. Yessongs quad gatefold or the Jethro Tull - Thick As a Brick Newspaper. CD covers just can't compete.

Terri JJ wrote:

My daughter and I had lunch in an old fashioned Tes Shop a week or so back and in the corner they had one of those gramaphones playing (the ones with the big...trumpet type bit on it ?) No idea what you call them but It sounded amazing x

Would you believe it's called a gramophone. Got one in working order along with original Bakelite records from the dark ages. Really scratchy but fun to take out now and again. Got loads of vinyl and a turntable but it never gets the use it deserves. May re-kindle my collection again. Digital stuff is just more convenient.

The thing with vinyl is that the format has so many possibilities. Colours, clear, marbled, etched, picture discs etc. Recently updating my old dodgy taped from a mate catalogue I got Pearl Jam's Vs off amazon in a gatefold cd mimicking the vinyl release. Great package but not the same as the 12" now looking for the original just because...

As being an oldie, it's got to vinyl, I have a good collection of all tastes of music and always on the look out of at record and vintage fairs for ones that I don't have or that interest me especially 1950s stuff.

luvved up cupple wrote:

The thing with vinyl is that the format has so many possibilities. Colours, clear, marbled, etched, picture discs etc.

My favourite thing about vinyl is that it can come in any colour or almost any shape or odd sizes like 8" never been that fond of etched records as they usually just have one track, better than getting a 7" with one track and the best someone could come up with for the B-side leave it plain and smooth