Help kickstarting mind again!

Hellooo ^_^

I am in need of everyones thoughts for a quick moment. I am about to begin my final year at university and as mandatory I have to write a dissertation, now I've had a few ideas but they have been declined for not being relevant or aren't interesting enough. (Perception of loudness/Acoustics/Music & Food/Music & Visual Albums)

I was wondering if there are any questions about music (anything music or technologyrelated) you guys have? I'm having a moment of writers block so if anyone has any questions to help kickstart my mind again I'd really appreciate it ^_^

Thanks!

Does a persons pitch tone and tune vary when they are singing along to a song if they are listening through headphones rather than a standard stereo?

I hear lots of people singing along with headphones on and oftern wonder if they would sound better if they could hear how they sound, like when singing to the stereo.

How can people see things when they hear music? for example, some listen to jazz and can tell exactly what the song is about, even though the song has no lyrics. I would think that a song would bring different feelings to different people but how can that happen then?

Thanks everyone!! Getting some ideas down, never thought of pitch tone or how people hear with headphones cm=ompared to singing, appreciate everyones help! ^_^ x

Oh sorry I didn't get that!

For me the biggest question is why there's a big divide between "classical" and "entertainment/popular/whatever you call it" music. Mozart ("sex 'n drugs 'n music") wrote for entertainment - just like the Beatles ;) (one of my grammar school music teachers was fond of comparing them. Incidentally, I'm not a big fan of either, but I consider them "inoffensive easy listening"...)

@alone4ever (and everybody else who's not into "classical" music): How did you like the main theme of Die Hard (the first in the series, music to opening the safe and several times afterwards)? The music in Master & Commander? In Barry Lyndon and Eyes Wide Shut?

alone4ever - sorry, I misunderstood, I thought you didn't like classical music, based on the "gon't" in your 7.49 p.m. post. If you do like it, my question was superfluous anyway. (For info: Die Hard has the final movement from Beethoven's 9th as central theme, Barry Lyndon Händel's Sarabande which is not quite yet another version of La Follia, but comes close, Eyes Wide Shut has the famous waltz no. 2 by Dmitri Shostokovich, which has also been immortalized by André Rieu in Munich's football stadium during half-time break.)

The whole guitar concerto or the horn solo from "Brassed Off"?

And whereas I'm sure Deutsche Grammophon had my record in its 'classical section', strictly speaking it's not classical at all, having been composed in 1939. (The classical period was Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, something like 1750 to 1820 - lots of fun music written before and after).

Speaking of records: If there should be a resurgence of vinyl (for me there's nothing "re" about it, never having given up mine) it might be fuelled by the recording industry, who might finally have realized that it wasn't such a brilliant idea to push a medium that allows for loss-free copying and selling it at double to triple the price of vinyl even though it costs much less to produce...

Not sure if you still need help / suggestions but...
I listen mainly to classic rock / metal & therefore related radio stations. Over time I have noticed inconsistent edits / censorship of certain songs. Obviously swearing is out although certain tracks escape this (Virginia Plain - Roxy Music) but in the same day heard Nickleback - Rockstar with the drug refs removed (everybody's got a... on speed dial) yet Eric Clapton's Cocaine can be played in full as can Lounge Reed's Perfect Day. A song all about a heroin trip.

What I'm asking I suppose is, Is newer music more prone to censorship than the music or artists that inspired it?

Hope this helps.