Wand bust - has this happened to you?

Hi everyone,

So, I was set on buying an Original Magic Wand (formerly Hitachi wand) after persuasive recommendations from an American friend. Unfortunately I had to order it elsewhere as LH don't stock the original (so I hope it is still fine to post this query here!) so I ordered from a company based in the US and I bought a US/UK adaptor plug from Amazon separately.

When both arrived and I plugged it in and switched it on... Nothing. I thought it might have been the adaptor so I bought a further two adaptor plugs (all different brands) from Amazon, but neither of these worked either. I wrote to the US company who happily sent a replacement which arrived today.

I plugged it in and - hooray - it worked! I switched from setting 1 to setting 2, and back again, then there was a pop and flash from behind the switch and it went dead.

So... Now I am baffled!! I can't see why the adaptor plug should be to blame as it's just a standard decent model. I thought it might be something to do with difference in voltage between US and UK which caused it to blow but I know lots of toys are sold in the UK with US plugs and I can't find anything online about this issue. It seems that wands are really hard wearing so would be surprised if both wands were defective themselves...

Has this happened to anyone? Or do you have any idea what it might be?

I obviously can write to US company again but I imagine they'll be reluctant to send another replacement and to be honest I am not sure I can take any more disappointment if the next one doesn't work either!

I knew I should have just ordered the Doxy from LH...!!

Many thanks in advance for any advice you can give :)

Hey there,

The Hitachi is actually banned in the UK, which is why it isn't sold on Lovehoney or other UK sites. Most places won't even send them over here as they're not CE certified. It's not safe for the European market without that mark, so I really wouldn't ask for another one to be sent. 

Instead, opt for something that is sold here and safe to be in the UK! I can vouch for the Doxy being fantastic.

If your adaptor was just a standard one then it is indeed to blame- what you need is one of these, a step down converter:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mercury-High-Quality-Voltage-Converter/dp/B01ALMQFG4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1481570142&sr=8-4&keywords=us+to+uk+step+down+converter

A standard adaptor will only change the shape of the plug, not alter the voltage, and since the Hitachi is only designed to be run on 110v you do need to change the voltage too. Sounds like you've fried it by sending the wrong voltage through it. If you do go for another Hitachi (which I wouldn't really reccomend since UK mains powered wands are super powerful anyway!) be sure to get the proper step down converter for it :)

Thank you, both of you!

This is super helpful, and I feel SUPER stupid for not doing my research beforehand... I didn't know they were banned and I didn't know I needed a step down converter. Doh!

Hi well I also did not now they were banned. Alas I only trust love honey as their support is epic and their return policy is epic. and their live support is just perfect. Me be you could get refund or replacement but its up to you but I would just get refund and buy from love honey. I hope you get your money back.

I can vouch for the Doxy. 

Magic Wand is great for sure but it certainly isn't the only fabulous wand out there... Doxy is about the same in power (well it is said to be more powerful but someone who has tried both or haven't tried either won't be able to tell much difference if you ask me) and compatible in the UK with no other equipment needed. More expensive and bigger but you won't run the risk of some uncovered electrical malfunction. Also I hear trying to use a voltage converter may decrease some of the power than if it didn't need one. I read that somewhere and not sure if that's just if the voltage wasn't properly converted or what, but it's something to watch out for.

Lovehoney has plenty of choices from portable battery operated ones to the traditional plug-in ones, with rechargeable ones being an economical alternative and decently powerful for the most part. They also have a fabulous return policy to boot so have fun with your magic wand search :)