Web camming risks

I've recently come across webcams and sites that allow for people to view your live feed. But I'm a little bit iffy on how safe this is with blackmailing and people possibly finding out your real identity. Has anyone done this before? Are there ways I can protect my information? Any help is really appreciated!

Lots of tricks... fake name... hide yr face.... remove any identifiable objects or photos....and be choosy of when and with whom

Hi TDR, I have done this and as Ozymandius says there are loads of things you can do to minimise the risk. Don't have photos on display , keep your back ground as neutral as possible, take down any pictures from the wall that may be seen.

Take off any identifiable jewellery, cover tattoos if you have any...you can choose not to show your face ( if you get one of those plug in cams you can angle it wherever you want ) .

Basically if anyone asks your name or where you live you just make something up. I've been doing this for a while and have had no problems.Yeah there is the chance that someone may record you but if you can't be identified and they dont' know where you live or your name or phone number then it would be pointless to try to use blackmail. Hope this reassures you a bit.

Spot on Wildflower xx We have done the same. Back ground is also important. Done carefully you can have fun but be careful .It could be a nightmare if you are not careful.

This is a Great help thankyou very much! I think I'll have to do a little trial. Would never have thought to take off jewellery! That's a big one. The main thing I'd have to say that scares me is you can only use a fake name and details to an extent. Of course you would never directly have it visible or available to any viewers. However, if somehow the information you have supplied to the website was discovered by a disgruntled viewer it could be very damaging. Although I take it that this is very very unlikely!

TDR wrote:

This is a Great help thankyou very much! I think I'll have to do a little trial. Would never have thought to take off jewellery! That's a big one. The main thing I'd have to say that scares me is you can only use a fake name and details to an extent. Of course you would never directly have it visible or available to any viewers. However, if somehow the information you have supplied to the website was discovered by a disgruntled viewer it could be very damaging. Although I take it that this is very very unlikely!

It seems that you are keen to be seen/recorded however and rightly so concerned about being identified or worse still blackmailed. With these reservations why go on a webcam, why not just record yourself and keep control of the recording. This works if it is the excitement of being record/watched whilst having fun. Just a thought.

TDR wrote:

Yes it's true that you do need to supply a bit of personal info to the site if you sign up with them such as full name and email address and date of birth . I suppose in theory this information could be leaked but I think the risk is very small and even then it would only show that you had a account on that particular site. On a few sites you can change your profile name every 30 days too.

It's highly unlikely any viewer on the site would be able to access that kind of information, even the moderators ( most of whom actually cam themselves) don't have access to it as far as I know but obviously I can only speak for the particular site that I use.

DLJL wrote:

TDR wrote:

It seems that you are keen to be seen/recorded however and rightly so concerned about being identified or worse still blackmailed. With these reservations why go on a webcam, why not just record yourself and keep control of the recording. This works if it is the excitement of being record/watched whilst having fun. Just a thought.
I know where you are coming from and have considered not doing it all for these reasons. I think what I will do is wear a mask and block my country from viewing my cam and just be very careful!

wildflower wrote:

TDR wrote:

Yes it's true that you do need to supply a bit of personal info to the site if you sign up with them such as full name and email address and date of birth . I suppose in theory this information could be leaked but I think the risk is very small and even then it would only show that you had a account on that particular site. On a few sites you can change your profile name every 30 days too.

It's highly unlikely any viewer on the site would be able to access that kind of information, even the moderators ( most of whom actually cam themselves) don't have access to it as far as I know but obviously I can only speak for the particular site that I use.

This has definitely given me peace of mind thankyou. The site seems reliable and many people have recommended it so fingers crossed I'll be alright!