What was your first time buying toys like?

Mine was only a few days ago. It felt very liberating, and as I did it over the phone, awfully like ordering a takeaway haha.

Surprisingly easy. It took me a long time to decide to get a toy though. Since I had never been penetrated or even played with myself (I get ‘squicked’ using my own hands for some reason) I did my research and quickly decided what I wanted was a clit toy, from there it was a simple matter of looking through selection and choosing something suitable. I didn’t stray much from what I was looking for for fear of being overwhelmed or scared. The amount of information on each product made it easy to find something. I wasn’t concerned about delivery since I had read everywhere how discrete LH were and I was going to be out anyway (grateful for a the safe place option) I was excited.

Since I didn’t even know if I could orgasm due to health situations I had expectations of the toys, I completely went into it with the atttitude of well let’s see if we can make this feel pleasant. I think this attitude of no preconceptions was really benfeficial at the start as I allowed myself to explore without any pressure and now I’ll try pretty much anything (but not sounding or gags)

So seeing as it got me my first orgasm i’d Say my first time using toys was life changing.

I was young - my girl and myself had had a day out in London and we went to the classy sex shop that used to be (still is?) at the Tottenham Court Road/Oxford Street junction...

...we loved each other, craved each other...but there were communication problems, I mean, we were young...

When we were looking at the butt plugs - I remember - there was a guy in there with his girlfriend...she was calm but he was very uncomfortable...she was trying to get him to open up, but he freaked out and got aggressive...it was clearly...hmmmm...some pressure had been placed on his mind, his identity...and it scared him and he freaked...

Myself and my girl met up with some friends and then got the train home...we stripped as soon as we got home...I couldn't quite work out how to use my cock ring and I didn't know to train my girls arse...the whole thing was painful fumbling...

Luckily the first vibrator we bought hit the right spots, we were still new and buying at the cheap end of the market. If the next few toys had been our first we might have not bothered again for a long time.

Best advice for newbies to toys is spend more than you are comfortable with, the experience really does scale with the price. We only really buy cheaper items now if it is for an activity we are unsure we will pursue...

Our first sex toy was from an adult shop in Amsterdam, it was a plastic 5inch vibe with twist bottom. We were both late 20s and really not sure what we were doing. We used it a few times but I don't think it did much for her.

Second purchase was a jelly dildo and bullet vibe online a few years later, these seemed more of a hit but again, fumbling around and not communicating much meant they were little more than novelties brought out occasionally.

It really wasn't until we both opened up about our wants and needs that things really flourished. I really look at our first LH purchases as being our first real foray into sex toys, the others were just toys...

We had planned a weekend away in Brighton for the company annual dinner and dance and had previously flirted with a kinkier side of our sex life together but not actually indulged.

Hoping that I had read the signals correctly I too made my way to the sex shop at the junction of Tottenham Court Road and Oxford St. It was big and I was hoping to avoid the embarrassment of being asked by an assistant if they could help me with something. I made my purchases and made my escape, head down, through the door and onto the tube clutching my bag with “Hot Sex Toys enclosed” written on the side. (Not really)

After we had spent an evening wining, dining and dancing we retired to our room and undressed. My OH put her arms around my neck and asked me to “take control”. My selection of leather cuffs, blindfold and old fashioned white plastic vibrator was spot on for this occasion. (phew!)

Only looked forward from that point.

Mine was last year, I bought a prostate massager (a good one as it turns out) and 2 dildoes. I just couldn't wait to try them. the prostate massager seemed wonderful the dildoes less so, especially as one was a dick rambone. For a while before that I was using candles and a walking stick, so for safety I knew I had to buy toys. the smaller dildo is 8inches with a wide head. I just couldn't get it in without pain. I persevered and felt like a real winner when I got it in easily taking the length. I often use it now even though I have bigger it feels like an old friend. As for the dick rambone I was filled with fear and binned it. Ironically now I see it as one to buy.

Absolute nightmare.

I ordered a rabbit, it didn’t fit my anatomy well and it gave me such a bad chemical burn that I was put off using vibrators again for a couple of months. I also had a triple pack of dildos made from the same material that have me a burning sensation but not as bad as the first encounter.

Have ordered better quality toys since then. Cheap isn’t always best! Positive experiences when I first ordered with Lovehoney though. Some great little clitoral vibes that did the job.

Our first ever toys came as a bundle from an advert in a newspaper this would have been 30+ years ago and everything was junk though the 5" plastic vibrator did at least introduce us to adding toys to our play.We now have a rather large collection that is still growing,as I have said before Lovehoney is really addictive.

naughty stacey wrote:

Best advice for newbies to toys is spend more than you are comfortable with, the experience really does scale with the price. We only really buy cheaper items now if it is for an activity we are unsure we will pursue...

I've already found this to be the case, especially with the order I intend to place in a few days. Thankfully I had a bit put aside and won't have gone too much over budget. When you consider though how long good quality toys can last if you take care of them (I'm thinking of metal once specifically) it works out in the long run as quite good value.

I was a bit nervous truth be told. I went ahead last december and got the wife a bullet and a rabbit. Thankfully it's seems in my cheapness of buying what was on offer at the time to purchase what i believe to be the best bullet on the site.. the desire rechargeable bullet.
Safe to say the wife was a bit apprehensive as to how they would improve things. That apprenhension didn't last long though after her first go she was hooked and the bullet is still her most prized toy. We have since built up a bit of collection.

I was very anxious, excited and guilty - something like I was betraying my hubby because I didn't tell him that I was doing that. He knows now and it's okay with it, but at the time it felt like a massive secret and shameless act - I don't know where I took those feelings from, probably from my religious education. But when I started to explore there was no stopping me and I can say that now I'm almost a different person and all in less than two years. It's like not only my body, but my mind as well as opened for this whole universe of looking after myself that I never did before. I wish I had done that ages ago to be honest.

Hellish. It was years ago and in those days you had to walk into a shop and display your (what I then thought) perverted side to some stranger.. No online LH then. Also I hadn't spoken about it with Mrs Elbow before so was crapping it about what she would think.

It was some basic vibe I bought and thankfully she loved it. Not looked back and now I have found LH.. well hell...

Like any other day tbh 😂🙈 I wasn’t scared or nervous or embarrassed I just went to gets some bras and etc and they had a bullet at the till on an offer and I thought why not? - first toy bought 👌🏻

I'm way too shy to even walk into a sex toy shop, never mind walk up to the counter with a butt plug or something haha. So my first purchase was online, quite a few years back. Even buying online was a bit scary as I had visions of the toy arriving in a jiffy bag and the postman would guess what was inside by the outline. Luckily my first order was from LH and the order arrived in a plain box, super well packaged.

Mine was scary as hell. Walked into a sex sex shop in Manchester, windows were covered in red plastic so you couldn’t see it., inside was quite seedy There was a guy (shop keeper) strapping another guy into a leather harness. I went and bought the OH a hard black & gold C battery powered vbrator.

Afterwards, I felt early liberated and excited but that vibrator was a real animal...

Ragnar Lodbrok wrote:

Very embarrassing to be honest!
I was 18 and In Manchester and me and my GF at the time decided to buy her a vibrator.
It was decided that I would go in the sex shop we stumbled upon, my GF being too embarrassed.
I asked the guy behind the counter if they sold vibrators. He asked me what size would I like. Being flustered I murmured , “12 inches”.
He shot me a glance and replied, “What are you trying to do? Killl her with it?”
This added to my embarrassment and humiliation.
I quickly bought the first vibrator he showed me - a 9” basic job, paid him and beat a hasty retreat out on to the street.
Mind you, judging by the pleasure my GF received from the vibrator, and the enjoyment I got from watching her use it, it was worth the money and the embarrassment. Our new toy was used at every opportunity after my ordeal!!

Wow - experiences like those don't help, do they? Totally lack of a good customer service and a sarcastic "shopkeeper" just add to the stigma around the sex toys thing.

When I was a teenager abroad, my aunt used to get sex toys from somewhere - just God knows where - and sell them on her doorstep. She had quite a reputation amond the ladies from the neighbourhood and boy was she busy!! My uncle got a bit cross when women knocked on the door and he had been working a night shift because very early mornings was the time chosen by ladies to go there and get something without too many people realising.

I haven't seen the vibes she used to sell but according to my mum I believe they were kind of those big, hard plastic, insertable vibes, the cheap and battery operated ones. But at the time was a novelty and in my opinion my aunt was quite clever in spotting a market for things that helped women (she didn't have couple or men sex toys) find more pleasure and she went for it. And I bet many ladies were happy she was doing that.

Mine was relatively easy. I've been curious for a long time, but living with my parents still I was really worried about noise. Thankfully, curiousity paid off and I found that part of You Tube which reviews toys and such, and just decided to bite the bullet (so to speak) and buy my first vibrator last week.

I put a second order in within about 24 hours of my first arriving.

I now can't stop watching videos of toy hauls on youtube though!

I was super nervous and it was with my friend and my then boyfriend... It's weird to talk about because she is dating him now.

I was mortified. Me and my now husband went into a high street store. He browsed happily whilst I was in and out in seconds. I sat in Costa (other coffee shops are available) and told him what I thought looked good. He bought it and honestly it was a piece of overpriced nonsense.

My first time here was amazing. I spent hours looking, reading reviews and working out all the offers. It was so easy, I loved it. Then when there was an issue with one of the products it was replaced. I felt like a weight was off of me, that it wasn't anything to be embarrassed about!