WiFi router

Looking for recommendations for a new wifi router to connect to my BT hub. The wifi from our BT modem router has never been good enough so I’m looking to buy a good quality additional router to improve it and switch off the wifi on the hub. Any forum members have any recommendations or advice? I have looked at a few £80+, I’m considering a wifi 6 model to cover all eventualities.

I should add, it will be used for gaming, Netflix etc streaming, smart home components plus phone/iPad/laptop browsing

That’s a tough one, I left bt due to their routers constantly failing so I can’t offer anything positive personally. The best advice I’ve gots to go online and search for something with great reviews. Have you got a good speed? With gaming I find anything less than fibre optic isn’t fast enough. Hopefully someone with better experience will reply

1 Like

Speed wise we get up to 76 Mbps which is plenty but the wifi part of the BT hub is awful, I’ve tried a couple and there is plenty of discussion on the internet which confirms that. I’ve ordered a tp-link router that looks good. I will see how much of an improvement it is when it arrives.

They sent us an engineer once to confirm the router was faulty, poor chap! He explained that the routers are faulty and shouldn’t be discontinued. It’s real frustrating as BT are expensive so you expect quality services and a working router that doesn’t slow have the speed fluctuate or blow up after a couple of months isn’t good service at all. Speed is perfectly fine for gaming, really good even.
I’m interested to know how you get on with the new when it arrives

1 Like

I bought this one - https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-AC86U-AiProtection-Accelerator-Aggregation/dp/B075WFL15D/ref=asc_df_B075WFL15D/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310785453975&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6262162508430780304&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007202&hvtargid=pla-562613736453&psc=1&th=1&psc=1 not sure if that’s way over your budget but it’s been great for me. I was with Virgin though and their Hub is just as bad by the sounds of things.

I was getting around 30mb in the room furthest away (still not bad) but now I get 300mb+

Depends really what the WiFi issue is, you may want to get some boosters like TP Link do, especially the power Lan ones that just your power sockets an wiring to boost the signibnala, you can then move them around. But don’t rule out old school cables if your device has a LAN port.

1 Like

We solved my son’s issue with the Wi-Fi on his gaming pc , with a cable run through the room outside down the wall and back in speed went from 45mbs to 225mbs suffice to say he’s pleased so if you can ditch the Wi-Fi in this case? We even tried one of those plug systems that transmits using the house wiring but that too was pittifuly slow.

1 Like

I’m looking to install a mesh network when my fibre gets installed. Should mean constant spped wherever I go in the house plus can plug tv into node and get decent 4k tv

1 Like

I’ve got an Asus RT-AC3200 - have had it for a few years but it’s solved most of my issues. I have LOT of wifi connected devices (multiple tablet,:phones, extensive SONOS system, consoles etc plus lots of wifi connected lights, Alexa etc. If you can get a dual band system (in my case it has two high speed and 1 normal channel and I’ve configured it to prioritise the devices needing the bandwidth to the faster channels. It’s a lot of setup but means I get very few drop outs and better overall coverage - although pointing the aerials in the right direction does make a huge difference. I used this to replace my virgin routers wifi - so no the virgin box is just the modem and my router controls everything else.

However, if it was out when I purchased I would have spent the money on a Mesh network if you can afford them…it’s the way forward.

1 Like

That’s exactly my situation, I’ve ordered the tp-link archer ax1800 which should be more than enough plus be future proofed too. Good advice about directing the antennae, I will look at that when it comes to setting up.

Perhaps a little outside the box here (pun intended), perhaps consider Sky Q. I didn’t realise until afterwards that the boxes act as a mesh network so I ended up with one in our house without realising.

1 Like