Would you buy sex toys for your uni roomates

I’m considering getting my Uni roommates some basic sex toys for Christmas such as tenga eggs for guys and bullet vibrators for the girls. I’ll probably talk to one of the roommates beforehand so I don’t cross any boundaries but I also wanted another point of view. Is it a good idea or would it make you uncomfortable to recieve?

I wouldn’t be uncomfortable.
Are your friends open minded? I’ve bought toys for friends and they were received well but only because I knew they used toys at home.

2 Likes

How long have you been at Uni? If this is your first year and you’re just getting to know them, then definitely not.
It might seem funny to some at the time but would freak others out and make you look creepy.
Anyway, your student grant’s not for buying sex toys!!! :joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

I’ve bought sex toys as gifts before but always asked first if it would be ok to get them something naughty…and told them which ones were not to be opened in front of their children…

You know your friends but if they are going home for christmas even if you haven’t asked them just warn them it’s to be opened in private…

Save the blushes

:hugs:

3 Likes

Depends how long you’ve known them and how open minded they are.

If you’ve only know them for a short them then personally I wouldn’t.

4 Likes

I tend to agree with a number of the posts, I would not be comfortable doing this. It might be taken the right way, equally it could blow up and leave an awkward situation.

2 Likes

Yes, if they’re students they may have younger siblings present on the day. Also it depends on how well you know them.

1 Like

I’ve gotten and been given toys as a gift, if you know them well enough sure nothing wrong with that. As someone mentioned if you are sending them home with them make sure they know to open it in private.

1 Like

Hi @InfiniteEnergy and Welcome to the forum :wave:

I think it depends entirely on what your relationship is with them. If you chat openly about sex toys and the ins and outs of sex then I think it’s fine. If you don’t then definitely not.

In my first year at Uni in accommodation supplied by the University I wouldn’t have drempt of it, in later years with friends I’d then known for a good while and become close to I would have for the girls… not the guys. Yes, it’s sexist, but I wouldn’t buy a sex toy for a straight male friend because I’d think I was either giving the impression I was interested in him or worry that if he was in a relationship his girlfriend would find it really creepy. I think if a female friend of my other half bought him a sex toy I’d find that off putting!

If a close female friend back at Uni or now bought me a sex toy I wouldn’t be surprised or in the slightest uncomfortable but you have to gauge it by the context of how you know these people and the relationship you have with them.

3 Likes

It really depends on the relationship you have with them, reactions to receiving a sex toy can run the gamut from horrified shock to joyous thanks, you really have to know the person well.

If you don’t regularly discuss sex and sex toys with them then it’s probably not a good idea. As long as you know they’re interested in sex toys and they won’t take receiving one from you the wrong way then you should be fine, sex toys can make an amazing and thoughtful gift as long as all parties are completely comfortable with the idea.

2 Likes

Hmm, might make them freak out and think you’ve got your ear pressed against the wall fantasising about them in a creepy way while they’re using. :unamused:

2 Likes

Make sure you know them well as people, not just how sexually active they are.

I’ve known people who are very uncomfortable discussing sex, toys, lingerie etc despite having active and varied sex lives when they were younger, and some acquaintances / family members assume I’m going to be prudish and / or naïve, and I’m certainly not.

One person I know refused to discuss the facts of life (beyond the basics) with her young kids, despite being active from her teen years onwards, and is quite horrified by how open I’ve always been about things with mine as I was a later starter and she used to try to shock me with the lurid details…

People are not always what they seem when it comes to these things.

2 Likes

I think I agree with everything that’s been said above. I’d add that as it’s a group of people you also risk some kind of tension if you then decide to give some people toys and others but don’t get it spot on - people may question why you chose one thing for them but something different for other people.

I have an idea for that if everyone would be comfortable with it (and it could make it more fun too). If you’re buying a few different bits, you could wrap them and put them in a bag together (so say all bullets in 1, all tenga in another) and ask them to pick a present like a lucky dip (though obviously saying which bag is which). That way there shouldn’t be an issue if someone’s bullet is slightly different or anything because it was chance the person got it

@Ace12345 - I think you’ve hit on the solution! It gets rid of the whole, potentially creepy “I chose this for you” aspect of the thing and turns it into a party game. Yaaay! :star_struck:

I’d be weirded out if someone other than a partner got me a sex toy, wether it’s at uni or everyday life, but everyone is different. You might want to drop it into conversation before going ahead!

As a guy if a female friend got me something I might think it’s suggestive (either they are keen or they think I’m a horny loner and need some attention). Can’t imagine a guy friend giving me something serious (maybe a cheap blow up doll or something silly?)

I do have friends (all female) who openly talk about their toys to each other, so could imagine them gifting (or even sharing :eyes:) their toys, but for myself, no…

Personally I would love being gifted sex toys and I think those people who feel awkward are not confident individuals and would most likely use them secretly. Just joke it off as a joke present so no one feels serious about the situation.

I did a ‘lucky dip’ of sexy undies and small bullets decades ago during my uni days. Toys weren’t as freely available back then as they are now. I was the ‘embarrassing and loud’ friend that everyone would drag to the loo and ask for help with their sex life.

I put them in home-made crackers and put them in a bag in the centre of the pub table. It was one of the best nights I think we’d all had for laughs though I’m pretty sure some of the girls kept hold of their gifts and used/wore them despite (feigned) shock and horror!

I have since given and received sex toys as gifts and would love something like this at Christmas.

3 Likes