a delicate subject

I'm sure most people have been there - put on some weight over the holidays, new job and no time to workout, moved someplace else and no one to go to the gym with yet.... lots of reasons why you put on weight.

For quite a while now I've been rather inactive and while I've managed to hold my weight, I've become unfit, a bit lazy and I tire quickly if I have to do some physical work.

I have a long distance relationship with my OH and will be staying with him this summer (yay, regular sex =D) but I don't want to do nothing at all workout wise for several weeks. My though was to join a gym and ask him to come with me, no way am I going to the gym alone as I think it's deadly boring.

But here's the tricky bit: I love my OH with all my heart, his beer-belly included, but I do think that he, just like me, has become a bit... inactive. Usually I take the blunt approach to every subject and issue that comes up, but I realise that men's egos can be a delicate thing as well. I know I'd be hurt if he told me to join him in the gym so I would lose some weight. For me it's not about him losing weight though (on the contrary, I'd force feed him bacon if he were to skinny, and bodybuilders are definitely not my taste either) but simply to become more active again! Computergames are fun and all, but it's also not healthy to be sitting down all day at work, and then all evening at home.

So, I guess I'm wondering if anyone has ever approached this subject with their OH and has some pointers? Should I simply buy two gym memberships and ask him to join me because I don't want to go alone?

Ask him if he would do you a favour and come with you to keep you company.

jouster wrote:

Ask him if he would do you a favour and come with you to keep you company.

agreed . or just .. be honest and tell hoim what you wrote out here .

Cuddlekitten wrote:

Computergames are fun and all, but it's also not healthy to be sitting down all day at work, and then all evening at home.

Now see i disagree :P. I used to sit on an exersice bike while playing my xbox :P that kept me from becoming unfit.

Unfortunailty my sister moved out and took it with her </3 Now im getting a wee belly its not good.

If it's just to become more active again, I'd suggest going for a walk together — say, for half-an-hour after dinner — even suggest it would be romantic. Then once you have disciplined yourselves again, move onto excercise that is somewhat more strenuous or a gym.

It will take time to achieve the results you want; however, this way has the added benefit of helping you manage the situation much more judiciously and avoid offending him.

This worked for me when my fincée became far less active than she had otherwise been.

WeeSteve wrote:

Cuddlekitten wrote:

Computergames are fun and all, but it's also not healthy to be sitting down all day at work, and then all evening at home.

Now see i disagree :P. I used to sit on an exersice bike while playing my xbox :P that kept me from becoming unfit.

Unfortunailty my sister moved out and took it with her </3 Now im getting a wee belly its not good.

What a great way to exercise weesteve!

haha, i agree with fizzy, that's a good idea. maybe i'll his computer on top of a treadmill or something ^^

and thank you all for your opinions, I'll just go ahead and ask him to join me at the gym

Me and the OH both goto the gym together she wanted to
Loose weight and didn't want to go on her own and after a few hints I asked her if she wanted to go together as I wanted to tone up.

going for a walk works ....when we have time we often go to the beach or up on the moors

fizzy wrote:

WeeSteve wrote:

Cuddlekitten wrote:

What a great way to exercise weesteve!

I am known for my good ideas ;) I wanted to buy a treadmil to do it with but they are tres expensive!