a work related dilemma. complex, advice needed!

Evening all.
I have a real dilemma on my hands. I have 2 jobs, a regular Monday to Friday job, good pay and then a weekend job which is a passion and pleasure. I have an interview for a permanent post at my weekend job, but it's less money and I would have to move. Just to make things difficult it looks like I am about to get more responsibility and pay on my regular job.
If successful at interview, what do I do. Move away and take less money or stay put with more money. Your thoughts please. ......

I guess you need to ask yourself 1 could I live on less money? 2 do I want to move?

Life isn't always about how much you earn (although it certainly helps sometimes), so the questions should be as yummymummy said

Could you live on less money

Do you want to move

Do you enjoy one job more than the other

Does either job make you unhappy

Do you want to take on more responsibility

I actually think this is a situation where a pros and cons list could help you.

Ultimately, only you can decide hun - good luck xxxx

This is where I am struggling. I have never been driven by money but now that more money is on the table it could be useful for future plans eg the same job again at a different time when I have more behind me? I don't know if I want to move. I am a creature of habit, but I am aware that opportunities don't come around that often.

As lmh95 says - would be wise to get the interview done and see what the result is - you may find the new job has some aspects that swing the decision for you that you aren't currently aware of. Xxx

+1 to all of the above

Also, what are the future prospects with both jobs. The one you love will be less money now, but is there any prospect of advancement / development / whatever (hard to say what criteria without knowning what the jobs are)?

Does your current job (with the potential current advancement) have any further potential for advancement?

Think about if you were still doing your current job in 10 years time vs doing the other job (that you love)... how does that make you feel? Are you happy with that thought or does the thought of doing the same job for another 10 years (or more) feel bored / depressed / scared...?

If you need to move for the new job, would the company pay / assist with moving costs?

As others have said, there is a LOT to be said for doing a job you love rather than doing something just for the money. A few years ago I gave up a job I really enjoyed (but was contracting) for a job that was closer to home and permanent. The new one seemed to have lots of promise... but turned out to be the most mind-numbing 3 1/2 years of my life. I managed to strike gold though because I'm now back in the industry I love AND getting more money (the only slight downside is that due to the nature of the work I'm more restricted on when I can take holidays).

lovingnewtoys wrote:

Life isn't always about how much you earn (although it certainly helps sometimes), so the questions should be as yummymummy said

Could you live on less money

Do you want to move

Do you enjoy one job more than the other

Does either job make you unhappy

Do you want to take on more responsibility

I actually think this is a situation where a pros and cons list could help you.

Ultimately, only you can decide hun - good luck xxxx

Huge +1

Hope the decision comes to you xx

Hello! As others have said do the interview first. See what comes from that first.

As for moving, how far would it be? Would you be completely isolated from friends and family? Also would the passion still be there if it was full time? I had a fab part time job I loved and moved onto full time. Doing it full time took that joy away from me so I ended up going back to part time.

The Monday-Friday job is it something you'd like to leave or something you would appreciate having more responsibility?

Does moving mean cheaper living? I.e. cheaper rent mortgage, or reduced commute costs/time?

Well. An update on the situation. Thanks to everyone who posted comments, suggestions and posed some food for thought. Interview was great, was offered a position but it wasn't a full time permanent post. Too many challenges come with that so I had to turn it down. Maybe next time...... All valuable experience and information gained as part of the process. So for now, nothing changes

You never ask a lady her age but it very much depends how well of you are financially. Mortgage bills ect.

As we get older work related stress is horrible . with premotion comes more responsibility so job satisfaction becomes far more important.

If you have a chance to do a job that gives you pleasure I'd take it.

By the way congratulations on your promotion.

A little late now, but as someone who has changed careers to a job paying half what I used to earn I would say categorically that a lower paid job that you.love is far far better than a higher paid one you don't.

Although you do have to weigh up if you can deal with a drop in salary. If you can I would say go for it.

bagpuss356 wrote:

Well. An update on the situation. Thanks to everyone who posted comments, suggestions and posed some food for thought. Interview was great, was offered a position but it wasn't a full time permanent post. Too many challenges come with that so I had to turn it down. Maybe next time...... All valuable experience and information gained as part of the process. So for now, nothing changes

Well done on getting the offer - if nothing else it proves you have it in you, so if something more appropriate comes up you will feel more confident about the whole process.

So nothing has changed - you are no better and no worse off, but have the knowledge you can go for it when the time is right.

Well done xxx

I agree well done on the offer.

In the meantime establsih yourself to live debt free and build up an "emergency fund" in your bank if you already don't ahve one.

Try living like you make less to see if you do decide to change in teh future you know it is sustainable and you will have a savings accont to cushion you.

Well done on being offered the job. Hopefully you pointed out that the only reason you were turning it down was it wasn't full time permanent. You never know what the futur holds.