Anecdotes Required: IUDs and Toys

I'm looking for some perspective from ladies who are or have ever been fitted with an IUD/IUS (or gents who have been with such ladies).

You see, I am considering trying a copper IUD as I have issues with hormonal contraceptives and my husband and I both dislike condoms. It's tough to decide though - statistically, you know that it works out fine for the majority of users, yet when you try to find more info from the users themselves you mostly get the horror stories. But stories about botched fittings, disappearing acts, pains, smells, and perforations aside, I have a more specifc query that no website has yet answered:

Have you ever had any trouble with the puppet strings interfering with sex toy play? For example: Have the strings gotten in the way and/or caused an unpleasant or painful sensation? Has a toy ever been damaged by them? Have you ever had a toy dislodge the device?

And if so, what was your solution to the problem? Was it a simple matter of having the strings trimmed? Did you need to have the device removed or refitted?

I am also interested in hearing about your experiences with an IUD/IUS and sex in general (also, rigorous exercise of any kind i.e. squats and curls).

So please, if you have any experience with this, share your anecdotes, thoughts, and advice here.

I had a iud for years until it was removed recently. I had it for the same reasons as you as hormonal contraception and me do not mix well. It never interfered in any play with toys and apart from a couple of times when my cervix were low it didn't interfere with sex either. On a couple of low cervix days my partner did complain the strings poked him but it wasn't a regular occurrence. For me it was the perfect contraception and will have another fitted in the future. Hope this helps xxx

In the past I've had both the copper coil and the mirena coil , have used sex toys with them both and never had any problems. I think the strings would have to be extremely long to get tangled in a toy, most Drs leave them just long enough for you to be able to feel them with your fingers to check that the device is still in place about once a month. I do remember them telling me that if my husband could feel the strings rubbing on this penis to come back and they would trim a little bit off ( the strings, not the penis !)

I did'nt have any problems exercising or with sex, once its fitted you pretty much forget its there. The only downside to the copper coil for me was that it made my periods heavy, but maybe thats just me. Hope that hasn't put you off :)

Hi, welcome to the forums :)

I'll start off with telling you about my contraceptive history. I have tried three different types of pills, the implant, and the contraceptive injection and none of them have been good for me. I've always either had a very low libido, put on a lot of weight, or generally just been very unhappy and not felling like myself. I decided after my last pregnancy that I wanted a contraceptive that didn't put hormones into my body, I wanted to feel like myself, and be myself! So I enquired about having the coil fitted.

I found out there's over 10 types of coil that you an be fitted with, so it's best to go and see a healthcare professional who can advise you what you would be best suited with. I was asked about previous contraception and why I made those choices. Basically, I had really really heavy periods that would give me horrendous cramp and I wanted something that was easy! So I was given the option of the Mirena coil. The Mirena coil also releases hormone into your body, but it is just a very tiny amount around your reproductive organs, so you're not having a high amount of hormones into your blood stream like other contraceptives. This hormone makes your cervical music thicker when you're ovulating to make it harder for sperm to get through, it also makes the lining of your vaginal wall very thin so an egg can't attach to it. This therefore makes periods very light, sometimes non-existent, because that lining of the womb is your period!!

I had my fitting done when I was on my period!!! Embarrassing! I started that day so went to the appointment anyway, and told them I was on my period so I can't have it done. They said no no, this is the best time to do it!! So I had to have it done! To be honest, I'm glad I went ahead with it. There was two ladies that did the procedure, it was totally pain free and very quick. They chatted to me all the way through and made me totally relaxed, it was so so easy! For a couple of days after I had a little bit of cramp, but I think that was just because I was on my period anyway.

Since then, every period has been pain free and no where near as heavy as it used to be. It hasn't affected my sex drive, or weight and I have felt myself all the way through.

The 'strings' have never ever gotten in the way with sex toys. The strings are actually metal wires, but they're so high up inside you they're really hard to feel. Your cervix moves up and down during your monthly cycle so it's easier to feel them at certain times of the month, and you should check them regularly to make sure the coil is still there. So when you're ovulating, your cervix will be very high up, and it's hard to feel the strings, but just after a period your cervix is very low down, and very hard so it's easier to feel the strings.

We've never had any problems with them, but my husband has mentioned that sometimes usually before or after I have a period he can feel the strings on the tip of his penis, but it doesn't bother him, he just notices that they're there.

The strings are seriously so high up, most of the time you'll never notice them. I've got countless sex toys and they've never gotten in the way, it's honestly not a big deal in the slightest.

I also go to the gym 4/5 times a week and I've never had any issues with it. I can't even feel it, ever! I always wear tampons when I'm on my period, and it's never an issue either.

I'm really happy now I've found something that lasts for such a long time! It was so annoying going for injections but now I don't even have to think about contraception for five years at a time! Amazing!!

I'm worried that you might have heard too many horror stories because of some of the questions you've asked, but you must remember everyone is different. You could just try it out, and if you don't like it have it removed. Personally, I think every woman should have a coil. They're amazing and definitely not as in-the-way as you think they would be!

I had a Mirena coil for 4 years, had it taken out recently as my periods had come back which meant it was running out of hormone. I got the implant fitted instead as I couldn't stand the thought of having another coil fitted, for me it was EXTREMELY painful (I was only 18 and had never been pregnant so my cervix was not happy!)

Sex with it in was mostly fine. For the first few months my partner said he could feel the strings and sometimes the ends 'stabbed' him so we had to stop to push them back up. After a while either he stopped noticing or the strings stayed put. Never ever had a problem using sex toys and no problems exercising either.

What I will say is that having something constantly in my vagina (the strings) really irritated it and I had recurrent bouts of thrush (at one point it was almost every month) for the whole 4 years I had it in which was bloody awful. I'd never had that problem before and put it down to not being used to sex without a condom as there's quite a bit more friction involved. I didn't realise quite how 'bothered' my vagina was until I had the coil out and now it's much less grumpy! I am a very sensitive lady though so don't let that put you off.

wildflower wrote: I do remember them telling me that if my husband could feel the strings rubbing on this penis to come back and they would trim a little bit off ( the strings, not the penis !)

That gave me a giggle :)

Thanks to everyone so far for weighing in. It all looks simple on paper, but you need the real-life experiences to know the pros and cons in any given situation. So your input is appreciated.

I have read up on the things extensively and was originally advised by the NHS so I do know what they are, how they work, the different types, the procedures, ecetera.

These were simply questions/issues that never seemed to be addressed on information sites and no one seemed to comment on, whereas sex in general has been discussed. Knowing that they are metal and that they are long enough for your fingers was what made me wonder wether they could damage the soft, squidgy materials of the kind of toys I prefer, or react with them (chemically), scratch finishes, catch on or fray strings (such as on ben wa balls), or anything else.... It made me curious to know and it seemed like something that would be good to keep in mind in making a decision.

MrsMcX wrote: I'm worried that you might have heard too many horror stories because of some of the questions you've asked, but you must remember everyone is different. You could just try it out, and if you don't like it have it removed. Personally, I think every woman should have a coil. They're amazing and definitely not as in-the-way as you think they would be!

Not at all. As I said in my original post, I know that statically they're fine for the majority. What I meant was, it seems to be mostly the people who have had very bad experiences who go online to tell the world, and it is therefore difficult to find useful information from those who have had the average experience. Trying to sift through all the anecdotes looking for a specific top is silly when I can just bring the comments to me on a site like this.

I just want to cover all the bases, because I'm fairly certain it's my only option for a contraceptive I can be happy with. Being able to simply have it removed (assuming all goes to plan) is part of the appeal - other methods once tried may have to be waited out (like the injection) or require minor surgery (implant). But, since it's the hormones I don't want, those methods aren't high on my list anyway.

The reason I wondered about sex/exercise is because it did seem fairly common for women who otherwise had positive (or at least neutral) things to say to add that they've had some pain during sex. The analyst in me needed to see if the trend would continue.

Spoonerism wrote: What I will say is that having something constantly in my vagina (the strings) really irritated it and I had recurrent bouts of thrush (at one point it was almost every month) for the whole 4 years I had it in which was bloody awful.

I have seen others mention the thrush and I believe it is even listed as one of the possible side/adverse effects on the NHS website. That does concern me a little, because my husband is prone to thrush (the majority of the maternal side of his family is). I never got it before I was with him. People always blame women, but it's definitely him not me! I've been taking lactobacillus and have been on a long clear streak, so I have hopes that this will help keep that problem at bay should it occur with me.

I have the Mirena coil. No periods (big grin)
And yes once hubby did get scratched on the head of his penis with the cords!!
No biggy quick trip to the docs to get them trimmed lol.
But generally no no issues anymore, hubby goes quite deep, as do toys with no issues.
I'll have another when mines due for renewal definetly x

Before having a coil fitted a doctor should examine you and take a swap from you to make sure that there are no infections before inserting it. If you suffer from thrush, this may be worth discussing with your GP first. For example some women who have an IUS fitted sometimes are put on the pill at the same time to combat reoccurring yeast infections, hormonal imbalance or other gynae issues such as POS and endometriosis.

If you’re infection free, have no history of pelvic/ cervical infections or problems you are extremely unlikely to suffer any nasty complications. Talk through any concerns with your GP. I assure you, they’ve heard it all before. Mine certainly put me at ease!

I had an IUS fitted last year. I have never had any children, I’m under 25, and I have a tender cervix so it reaaaalllly hurt. But my GP was fantastic and gave me some painkillers after, and even booked me in for another follow up appointment there and then so she could show me how to check the strings myself. You can have a local anesthetic applied for the coil fitting, but this can be just as/ if not more, painful than the actual fitting itself.

They might be able to be felt for the first month or so, but they soon soften with the fluid in the vagina. If they do become a real issue, you can go back to your GP and have them cut shorter, or curved ‘up’ so that the strings are in a kind of U shape around the cervix which should stop your partner feeling them.

I’ve never had any issues with sex toys or jiggle balls or pelvic floor excersizers. As a slight aside, remember:- if you’re into electrosex or use electronic pelvic floor excersizers, you shouldn’t get a coil fitted as most toys/products of that nature do not advice use if you have a metal implant (including pace makers). An IUS is fine because it’s made of plastic. So that might be worth considering!

Hope this helps.

KitsiKiki - the thing is with these types of things is that every woman is different. Already from the few of us that have commented you have mixed reviews. You might have read a ton of bad reviews, but you could read a ton of good reviews and the same goes with every single contraceptive. But even if you had no negative reviews and 100 positive reviews about it, you could still be in the minority of people that don't get along with this type of contraceptive and that's just a risk that us women have to take. There's nothing anyone can say that can predict what it is going to be like for you, and unfortunately it's just something you need to experience to see if it's going to agree with you.

All I can say is good luck :)

Hi,

I've had the Mirena Coil fitted for 2 and a half years and have not had a single problem with it.

My gynaecologyst recommened I have it fitted as I have endometriosis and I do think it's helped a little, but I'm still a daily sufferer.

I unfortunately can't advise about how painful it is to be fitted though, as I had mine fitted during surgery.

I've never had any comments from a partner being able to feel the strings, so I don't think it will be a problem.

Good luck, I hope it helps you!

SBB x

mine was a little sore to have fitted. didnt help tht the first one the doc tried to insert was faulty and wouldnt insert properly!

MrsMcX wrote: KitsiKiki - the thing is with these types of things is that every woman is different. Already from the few of us that have commented you have mixed reviews. You might have read a ton of bad reviews, but you could read a ton of good reviews and the same goes with every single contraceptive. But even if you had no negative reviews and 100 positive reviews about it, you could still be in the minority of people that don't get along with this type of contraceptive and that's just a risk that us women have to take. There's nothing anyone can say that can predict what it is going to be like for you, and unfortunately it's just something you need to experience to see if it's going to agree with you.

All of this is extremely obvious to me and I did say something similar in my original post, though not in so many words. Please don't take this as snippy. It's just that I seem to be getting a lot of replies that are 'explaining' things to me that aren't relevent to the subject, which was (I thought) a specific set of questions.

The reason I am asking those questions is because it's a topic on which many commenters are silent in the other public spaces which I have previously trolled for information. It struck me as an intriguing lacuna in the data and I am simply attempting to pool some information to fill that void. And I am highly aware that I will get different replies from different women (there is a reason I included the term 'anecdote'). That was the point, really - personal experiences may not be a hard fact that will cover all others, but they have their own value. Namely, that they reveal possibility if not probability.

I do not need to know about the object itself and it's insertion. I am not looking for reveiws, I am not trying to see how many are good and bad, and I am not using good vs. bad as a means to make a decision. I have already resolved to try one. I simply wish to compile some social data on a subject that was lacking. Based on a certain set of common information that was readily available [that there is a piece of the device that remains in the vagina that can be felt and reached by a penis]; it seemed like a logical follow-up query since toys will probably reach as far as or further than a penis. And if even one single person has experienced an issue, then that means it is possible it could be the case with me, and therefore it is something to keep in mind in terms of precaution. But how else does one know if they don't ask?

Khaleesi wrote: I’ve never had any issues with sex toys or jiggle balls or pelvic floor excersizers. As a slight aside, remember:- if you’re into electrosex or use electronic pelvic floor excersizers, you shouldn’t get a coil fitted as most toys/products of that nature do not advice use if you have a metal implant (including pace makers). An IUS is fine because it’s made of plastic. So that might be worth considering!

Yes, I imagine it would be!

Fortunately, I am not into that and very much doubt I ever will be.

Although I really hate the thought of having periods again, I would rather try the metal one first since the IUS contains hormones - which is exactly what I want to avoid. (There's still a chance of having fewer/lighter/no periods with the metal one, though, so I can cross my fingers!)

Oh dear, is there really a need to be so rude?

I didn't realise that we had to strictly stick to the set of questions you asked and weren't allowed any other input. I actually spent a lot of time considering your post and typing a reply, if it's not helpful to you, ignore what I've wrote and move along. But typing a huge response bashing what I've wrote is seriously rude.

I am aware that you're asking for answers to specific questions, all I was saying is everyone is different. No matter what anyone says, it is entirely irrelevant to the experience that you will have. I was actually trying to assure you, because you seem to be worrying a lot about it.

I'm sorry my experience and advice didn't meet your strict expectations.