the coil and side effects

Hey all,

Mrs just got coil inserted and am wondering if anyone had ever felt the coil during penetration?

I can't help you with that because I don't have a penis but I myself have a IUD and the only part that can be felt is the string (the other part is in the uterus and you don,t go there). it's a small metal string that goes out of the cervix and you may be able to feel it at first but after a few weeks it's gonna place itself at the back of it and I'm pretty sure you can't feel it there. Also, you can have it cut a bit if it's too long and gets in the way

We are supposed to chek once in a while to see if the IUD is still in place buy puting up a finger and feeling the string, but the last time I almost had a heart attack I did because I couldn't feel it. After a few minutes I found it but still could barely feel it with my finger (it was well hidden)

so not something i am going to actively feel during deep penetration? x

I don't think so (again, I don't have a penis so can't tell, but my partner never said to me that he could feel it). It is definetly not supposed to hurt you so even if you can feel it a little, I don't see the problem, it's for your wife's health so take one for the team.

ha ha good answer! thanks!

Your welcome! have fun taking advantage of that new contraception method together!

I've heard the strings can be quite scratchy until they soften up so if you do find it isn't comfortable, give it a while and it will almost certainly improve.

For the first few weeks my husband said he felt "wee jags" during sex. It wasn't painful for him, he was just aware of it. Its not uncommon, it's due to the threads being very rigid at the beginning but over time they soften. Once they have softened you really need to get right in there to feel them, which a user of this contraceptive is supposed to do regularly to check it is still in place. If you do continue to feel them they may have left the threads too long but her check up would pick up on it.

Ive felt it before and just feels like a sharp jab when thrusting deep. I can also feel it with my fingers. Im sure as suggested its just the string i have felt
It really doesnt cause any problems though.

Nope can't say I've felt it before.

I have the hormonal coil and the nurse asks if you want the strings cut at the follow up appointment. Sometimes my OH can feel it during sex but when I asked if he wanted me to get the strings cut he said no so it can't be that bad :P The strings usually retract and sit at the entrance to the cervix over time which mine have.

I had a coil for 7 months and my OH could always feel the strings, they'd prick him quite often. Sex was very uncomfortable for me too.

I had a relationship a few years ago with a woman who used the coil and I never felt anything unusual 'up there'. But she had been fitted with it a couple of years before I started having sex with her so it may have been that the strings had softened over time.

My OH has had it fitted for almost three years and we never felt a thing.

My other half can't feel it at all :)

I used to have a cool. My husband couldn't do certain positions because he said it would poke him and hurt him. Missionary was never an issue only if I was bent over