Anti depressants and libido

Can anyone share with me please? I've reached a point of rock bottom and despite hating the fog that comes with antidepressants, I'm seeing the doc today and think I'll be asking for them. Last time I took them was 13 years ago and I dont remember much other than feeling numb in the head for most of it.

Anyway, I've only just, this last year, got my libido back on track and now have a very active sex life. I would hate to kill that with ADs. Does anyone have experience of taking them and srill feeling normal enough to enjoy sex?

Thank you
X

I do. For me as I'm in the course of reducing them to the day when I don't take them I have seen an improvement. When I think about it it is hard to say if my life circumstances affected it more when I was at my worst or if it was the medication alone. I do know that my libido returned to it's usual level once my dose was halved and my circumstances had vastly improved.

I found that getting to any state of arousal took a lot more and sometimes wouldn't happen at the peak of my depression so it wasn't impossible. In the end I'm glad I took them as I found them helpful and to not have would most likely extended my misery and I'd have lost interest in everything for goodness knows how long for! I just had to remind my fwb in other ways that I still cared and was a temporary bump in my life. That is where the friends aspect came in by him being a friend who cared about what was happening with me.

^ The same.

I had to go back on antidepressants recently and I feel like I'm living in bubble. But I've noticed sensitivity in other ways (my eyes appreciate colours and shapes more, I find textures more interesting... but this could be a result of other mental health issues) so although I'm not wanting to be intimate I am enjoying sensations. And I think that's the key for me - I've changed, but I take contentment where I can.

Good luck with things.

I was taking Sertraline and I decided to take control of my libido rather than handing it over to the AD's. I appreciate it isn't like that for most people. I took my time and adjusted to the feeling of the AD's first and let masturbation in slowly, some times I didn't climax but that was ok because it still felt good. Until eventually I occasionally felt horny and reached climax several times with no problems. In my case I like to think I owned AD's rather than them owning me.

I’ve been on a handful of different antidepressants and only one of them interfered with my libido. I would take whatever meds’ they give you as prescribed and see how you get on. If you lose your sexual interest then they can adjust dosage or change the medication to find something more suitable :)

I'm potentially going to be put on AD's and this is one of my main concerns as my solo time and feeling horny is one of the few things that gives me pleasure and makes me feel anything really and having only relatively recently discovered it I'd hate to lose it.

It's probably best to check up the particular AD on the web and look at the side effects, I know one set of tablets actually made things really difficult in the bedroom as I couldn't get the soldier to stand up ha! And another set I was so stuck in my own little bubble I was numb to most emotions and feelings which made sex actually quite a depressing and stressful situation. I have however been on some that really did up my moods and also my libido and I was willing to sh*g anything that stood still long enough ha!.
Best to just have a look at the side effect and speak to your GP, also as a side note I'm proud of everyone who's willing to speak up and out about this subject X

I'm on 20mg tablets and my libido is pretty good, but I find it is out of control when I'm not on them. So for me, it calms it a little which is a good thing as I can concentrate better without constantly distracting myself with thoughts of sex!

Mine really kicked my libido to the curb at first, but I have found that after a month or two the side effects (tiredness, etc - including lack of sex drive) started to lessen. I still don't get as "randomly" turned on as I used to, I have to put a bit more thought and effort into it, but it's not as bad as it was. And I'll gladly take that as a side effect because the positive effects are (for me) worth it.

Hope you get the help you're looking for at the docs and that you find something that works for you - it may take a few tries, so don't be afraid of going back and saying you want to try a different med if the first one doesn't do it for you. That includes not liking the side effects.

Thanks for your support guys.

Ive been thinking about getting help for a while but after bawling my eyes out for the 5th time in a day in front of my boss on Monday, it brought it all home. Outside of the bedroom, in every other aspect of my life, I am a pent up ball of anger, hate and resentment. I know the cause and potentially know how to cure, but there are so many insurmountable obstacles in my way, I cant get to it. At the moment I am desperate to hide in the cotton woolliness of ADs for a while.

All meds have different side effects for everyone. If you are struggling with the lack of libido then they can try another one. I've had no reduced libido on mine, I'm on 40mg Citalopram, but I have had weight gain, exhaustion and the shakes. For me it's a small price to pay for my sanity.

I'm really happy you have decided to seek help. Good luck my love x

I was on 60mg Fluoxitine (Prozac) and libido flatlined. Down to 40mg but only take 20mg...it can be a bit hit and miss but, given the right stimuli, it's very much hit! I also take some vitamin supplements to balance hormones and that seems to help both my depression and my libido.

Try not to worry about it too much. And well done for getting help and talking about it xx

It was fluoxetine I was on before. I cant remember the dose though. This time he's given me 20mg Citalopram so that's helpful to hear RosyCheek. I hadnt even thought about weight gain. Oh, the joys.

I'm on Sertraline and it's been pretty good. The weight gain I had was through comfort eating and not going to the gym as I used to go several times a week. I am now back into the gym so that's a big step for me and it helps a lot. All of the not so great stuff from the medication has been worth it as without that or the counselling I got, I may not be in such a good way or even alive. So minor sacrifice to get my life back to me.

Wight*goddess wrote:

It was fluoxetine I was on before. I cant remember the dose though. This time he's given me 20mg Citalopram so that's helpful to hear RosyCheek. I hadnt even thought about weight gain. Oh, the joys.

Weight gain is one of the less common side effects. I started on 20mg a year or so ago and it just gives you that little boost. The first 6 weeks can be rough whilst it settles down but it's worth it.

I lost weight on Fluoxitine

Wight*goddess wrote:

Thanks for your support guys.

Ive been thinking about getting help for a while but after bawling my eyes out for the 5th time in a day in front of my boss on Monday, it brought it all home. Outside of the bedroom, in every other aspect of my life, I am a pent up ball of anger, hate and resentment. I know the cause and potentially know how to cure, but there are so many insurmountable obstacles in my way, I cant get to it. At the moment I am desperate to hide in the cotton woolliness of ADs for a while.

Can I suggest you do some meditating. I don't mean for you to sit and ohm for 3 hours a day I mean for at least 30 minutes a day, get yourself comfortable and listen to some mediation videos on youtube. There are a plethora on there for you to choose which you like best. I highly recommend Lune Innate, her voice literally sends me to another dimension.

I felt empathy for you when I read you are one big pent up ball of anger, hate and resentment. This was me last year and meditation has saved/saves me from all of that. Sounds ludicrous I know but don't judge until you have tried it. You have to find what particular meditation suits you best for it to work and for me, its guided meditation. One of Lune Innate's particular videos is one called 'sending love' and you basically find the love you still have inside of you (and im 100% sure you do) and send it to whom ever closest to you needs it, which can even be yourself. It is so moving and lifts your soul, and what I love most about it, is that it shows you that you are still capable of accepting and recieving love, light and happiness. Which you truly deserve.

Many ask what have I gained from meditation, I haven't gained anything. But what have I lost? Anxiety. Anger. Depression. Fear.

Perspective. Thats the beauty of meditation.

I appreciate 100% the attraction of the cotton wool protection AD's offer and it is so easy to be sucked in and taken over by them. But, they are a necessity for recovery. I was crying at previous employments and it ruined jobs for me too so I had to take action to save myself, from myself.

You are in recovery right now, you deserve to recover and you need to give yourself time to do so.

Apologies for the long speech. Sending you love and light

🐼

Thanks for the perspective Squirty. The prospect of meditating at the moment is just beyond my reach. I've had some beautifully healing meditations in the past and relaxed in gong baths but i just cant bring myself to partake at the moment. I'm buzzing and havent the strength to hold myself still long enough just yet.

I've tried gong baths, they're amazing! Thanks Squirty Panda for the recommendation of Lune Innate, I also love meditations and find they help me a lot.

There's something out there for everyone I think; meditation helps some, AD's help others, exercise can help etc. I actually find it all helps, each in a little way. In also on 20mg Citalopram. My libido is healthy and I feel fab. I've put on some weight but unsure if that's the pills or just my love of food!!

I'm sad to hear so many of us suffer with depression and anxiety. But it's so good we can all talk about it so openly and can help each other with recommendations and experience sharing ☺️♥️

Taking the AD's actually helped my libido as it made me feel better in myself in general. I have no come back off them and having libido problems, I think its mostly because I am anxious about losing the support of the pills.