Any good reading for Christmas

What book did folks get for Christmas?! Wife got me The saboteur of Auschwitz, looks a good read. Got myself a couple from a waterstones gift card also. Nineteen eighty four by George Orwell and a book on the Vietnam war. Should keep me busy for a while.

1 Like

I’ve ordered Notre Dame by Ken Follett. It’s a history of the meaning of cathedrals apparently and the royalties go towards rebuilding Notre Dame. I love his writing so should be interesting and money goes to a good cause.

I re-read 1984 last summer, it is more apt now than ever! Pretty scary really! I think reading it ought to be mandatory! My current book is Limelight-Rush in the 80’s probably means nothing if you’re not into the band, but i am enjoying it!

1 Like

Command and Control… Slightly concerning reading on the near misses with nuclear weapons…

1 Like

Have you watched Chernobyl? Equally frightening nuclear disater.

2 Likes

Can’t believe I’ve never actually read it. Looking forward to it though. Must admit I’m a conspiracy theorist myself​:joy:

1 Like

I read it at school many many years ago and didn’t really get it. Reading it last year it became obvious we are virtually living it. Very prophetic considering it was written in 1948!

@WillC yes, seen the amount of words and phrases that originated from that book is scary!

1 Like

The scary one for me is Newspeak.

We got the twins a lot of books for Christmas and always read to them before bed we have a few beast of Buckingham palace fairy tales for girls code name bananas so we enjoy these with the kids :+1:

1 Like

Loved being read to as a kid. My mom used to sit me on her lap and read to me. I could read and write before I started school because of her, bless her!

3 Likes

I got ‘This is going to hurt’ by Adam Kay. A doctor’s inside crazy stories that he encountered. I’m like 30 pages in and geeeeeez.

5 Likes

@ChloJakes that book is brilliant! It made me laugh and cry.

1 Like

Oliver A Lover All Over by Maranda Elizabeth. It’s about reflections/ideas as the author is riding a bus. I just find it comforting and relaxing.

Got two cookery books both by James Martin love his recipes can’t wait to get started cooking some of them

1 Like

Ooh, love Ken Follet, pillars of the earth was an incredible book! I hope Notre Dame is good too :blush:

1 Like

@Cassii Pillars of the Earth was the first one of his I read. His are ones you can read over and over again aren’t they?

I think Notre Dame is non-fiction and it’s a thin book, not started it yet but I’ll let you know :blush:

1 Like

Court of thorns and roses by Sarah j Maas

I got

Little Miss Shy Goes On-Line Dating

By Roger Hargreaves (for grown ups)

What a giggle

:rofl::relaxed::rofl::relaxed::rofl:

3 Likes

@MsSubExperimenter I finished it! It’s bloody brilliant eh. I take my hat off for anyone currently or has ever worked in the NHS, it sounds god damn scary.

1 Like