Ask for Angela

Hey everyone,

Did have a quick search on the forums but couldn’t see this. Strangely Iv only just come across this campaign but it seems if your on a date and your worried, such as they aren’t who they said they were or come across aggressive etc. You should be able to go to most bar staff in England and also in restaurants and state “ask for Angela” this is code for you to be taken out of the situation discreetly and safely.

I know we have a few single people on the forums and thought it would be great to highlight this as a lot of nasty stories are going around at the moment in regards to tinder dates etc.

That's really helpful, I will let my wife know as she supervises a bar.

More information can be found on the Metropolitan police website, but I thought it would be nice for people to know about this campaign.

I just did a quick Google and I can't believe the campaign has been going on so long. Fist hit I get was a BBC story from 2016.

I can honestly say I have never heard of it. It sounds a fantastic campaign. Great to share the information

I've seen stickers for it in quite a few toilets in bars. It's a great idea, I think normally the bar staff call you and taxi and take you to it.

I’ve never heard of it either but it should be more widely known about it might just save a persons life one day .. never know who’s about nowadays do you 😔

I agree, I thought it strange that I had never heard of it. But then maybe that's the point. If it is targeted at a mainly female audience and quietly then the "code word" will remain a code word rather than being really obvious as everyone knows about it. (This post makes sense in my head 😀)

First I’ve heard of it but is a bloody good idea! You do unfortunately hear of these bad stories that this could have helped with in the past

Sometimes men may need it too though?? I’ve also seen stories where people have ordered pizza on just eat and such like and put a note for restaurant as please call help. Life in danger etc. don’t know how much of that is fake! I do know you can txt 999 if your life is in danger and your worried about being heard.

This is such a fantastic post as sadly we live in crazy and dangerous times with many unscrupulous people in our midst. Does this Ask for Angela also apply to the rest of the UK or is it just in England?

Sorry I didn't mean to come across as sexist there I agree that it may not just be women that need help on a date. I was speaking to my wife who was well aware of the campaign and said she had seen posters in ladies toilets. If it was advertised in both toilets then maybe the code word wouldn't be as useful as it could be known by the other person on the date.

From what I’m aware it’s meant to be across the whole of the UK and is now going across festivals this year which is great news. Just a shame that we tend to be in a society that live on the internet and social media but this has been around for 2 years and hasn’t become a household thing. Personally I love the idea and think it should be implemented everywhere, even last night I saw a lady at a checkout paying for her stuff and I had noticed she had been followed around by a man who went right next to her paying for her shopping. It could have been completely innocent but she looked extremely nervous and no one should feel that way in public. With a huge amount of people using snapchat, Facebook etc to connect to others and go on dates this would be ideal in them situations and is fine for men and women to get out of a possibly dangerous scenario.

This is the first I've ever heard of it but what a great idea!

I've used it before. I was in a bar on my own waiting for my husband, and the atmosphere suddenly changed, and there was a bloke who wasn't going away. I casually went to the bar and asked for Angela. They quietly said, "she's out the back, I'll take you to her", and they took me into the staff room, where they let me stay until my husband arrived. They gave me a free drink too. My husband then took me out of the staff entrance, so I didn't need to go back through the bar. It was great, and I felt a lot safer.

KinkyMira wrote:

I've used it before. I was in a bar on my own waiting for my husband, and the atmosphere suddenly changed, and there was a bloke who wasn't going away. I casually went to the bar and asked for Angela. They quietly said, "she's out the back, I'll take you to her", and they took me into the staff room, where they let me stay until my husband arrived. They gave me a free drink too. My husband then took me out of the staff entrance, so I didn't need to go back through the bar. It was great, and I felt a lot safer.

This is great proof that this works.

I hadn't heard of this until I logged into the forum. I've put out a message on my university forum to see if we can get a group together and approach local venues about this.

Just giving this a bump because it can save lives.

I've never heard of this before but what a fantastic campaign

Bumping the thread because it’s super important and useful. (Wish there was a male version, like ask for Andrew/Angelo or something similar, so both would remain secret for the most part).