"Ask For Ani" Domestic Abuse Help

Thank you for sharing the link - Domestic abuse is a cause very close to me, and if there’s more work we can do on LH to promote awareness and support, I’d be more than happy to help/contribute. I witnessed domestic violence for 10 years against a close family member, at times taking the brunt to stop them from taking it, and the perpetrator was extremely savvy to these schemes and codewords, but it’s a cause that can be very useful for people and the more we make them available, even in a subtle way, it can help people greatly.

I recently found a charity that support men who have left domestic relationships and their work is incredible - https://abusedmeninscotland.org/

2 Likes

Some of these would make a good blog topic on the main LH website too and show that LH cares.

The Ask for Ani is something that is only effective if more people are aware of it. Imagine needing it and saying it to someone at the bar who didn’t know about it - a potential opportunity to save someone lost.

1 Like

I think the idea is that the staff are trained about it (in this case in pharmacies) rather than learning about it from Facebook or forum posts. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Indeed, but I’m not convinced as many people as need to know actually know. There’s a similar one in the hospitality industry but not many in one part of that industry that I know of are aware of it.

Sorry to press the point :slightly_smiling_face:, but the bar staff (and pharmacy staff) need to receive training on it from their employers so they can recognise and handle these situations appropriately when someone comes in. If these people are only learning about it through Facebook then something has gone awry.

3 Likes

Oh absolutely agree with that - wasn’t arguing against you on that. I don’t think enough employers know about it. So it ends up in a catch 22, how do you keep it a secret from some people to keep it effective yet tell others to keep it effective :person_shrugging:

1 Like