boy or girl? guessing the sex of your unborn baby old wives tales.

I am only just 8 weeks pregnant and I can't help wondering everyday, what we are having- a boy or a girl?

I have already heard lots of old wives tales about determining the sex, and although harmless, they are quite fun to hear and intriguing. I had my early scan at 6 wks +4 days and the heart beat was 129 bpm. Somebody has already told me if it's under 160 bpm then it's a boy, or if it's over this then it's a girl cos their heart rate is stronger and faster whereas boys are more laid back and easy going so have slower heart rates! That's not to say I actually believe it! I am just glad my sonographer said it is stronger than expected at that point in my pregnancy and the fact that it was so strong and detectable through my bursting full bladder is very good!

I was just wondering what old wives tales were you told?

xx

Position of the bump. I think the lower down the more chance it is of being a boy....

Oh and congratulations!

thank you Ms HKM.

xx

Hi RB

Glad to hear all is going well, the heartbeat thing is an indicator but probably too early to tell.

At a later scan they may be able to tell you but wont guarentee they are right.

I was told I was having a boy the last time round because the bump was all front. My tree climbing, dirt magnet, bruise covered little girl is proof that these things are impossible to forcast.

xGGx

All a load of rubbish in my opinion! I'm training to be a midwife and when I'm listening to the heartbeat I see if it sounds more like a horse or a train... they both sound the same! And all babies have different heartrates according to how many weeks they are and how active they are x

dotdashdot wrote:

All a load of rubbish in my opinion! I'm training to be a midwife and when I'm listening to the heartbeat I see if it sounds more like a horse or a train... they both sound the same! And all babies have different heartrates according to how many weeks they are and how active they are x

why is this dotdashdot, that it depends on these certain factors and if it sounds like a horse or a train? You could prob compare mine to more of a horse than a train!

xx

I don't know I've just heard people say that if it sounds like a horse then it's a girl if it sounds like a train it's a boy but I can't really tell the difference! x

oh right ok. I wonder if there's any truth in it then? Probably not.

xx

No idea! Are you going to find out the sex at the 20 week scan? xx

I want to but my oh doesn't so we are going to keep it a surprise. I am still waiting for my midwife to get in touch, my gp referred me when I was 6 wks + 5 days and I have still not heard anything. Am I not supposed to see her before 10 weeks to have all my bloods done in time for the downs testing or other things they need to rule out?

xx

Oh and cravings too - if you want something sweet then they say girl. Something sour - boy.

I'm glad its all going well for you Ronnie you deserve some happiness!

Thank you fizzy. These last few months have been tough to us both, me and the oh.

xx

It all depends on your local hospital but you need to see your midwife before 10 weeks(ish) mainly to get your 12 week scan booked. If you're having the Downs syndrome tests they usually do the blood test for the hormone levels at the time of the scan.

The midwife will just check your blood to check your iron levels and test you for HIV, syphilis, Hep B and rubella immunity but it doesn't really matter when that's done.

I'd contact the doctors surgery and see what they say. In the one that I work at the pregnant Mummies book themselves into our clinic to see us xx

Ms HKM wrote:

Oh and cravings too - if you want something sweet then they say girl. Something sour - boy.

That didn't work for me. I craved icecubes for all 3 of mine and I had two girls and one boy. All 3 of mine still love to crunch ice cubes to this day. I do wonder if it is linked, but it is more likely to be completely random.

None of these wivestales work! Just a bit of fun :)

Having said that - honeytongue - my mum craved strawberry splits with me and i'm just as addicted now!

When I was pregnant, I checked the sex of my baby in various different ways - most were for a girl. She is indeed a girl! :)

http://www.chinesefortunecalendar.com/PredictSex.htm - this was one of the methods

Method with the change of blood: for men - 3 years, for women - 4 years. Start from birth for both father and mother. If there was an operation, or something else involving major blood loss - start over. The gender is determined by the fresher blood - if the mother is with fresher blood - it should be a girl.

http://www.home-remedies-site.com/boy-or-girl.htm - more methods listed here :)

http://www.ill.ru/cgi-bin/form.malefemale.pl - one more - the page is in Russian, but Google translate would do it :)

Have you done the ring test ? X

No HellKat I've not tried it. what does it involve? is it the one where you hold iot above your bump and see which way it swinga? I don't think my bump is big enough yet though?! haha.

xx