superstitions

OK, so I consider myself to be a little superstitious, but these last couple of days even more so. Yesterday I had a white feather stuck to my car when I went to go out, isn't it a sign of good luck or angels or something? Then today a black cat ran across the road in front of me, which in england,scotland and japan is considered to be good luck, or in america- bad luck.

Just wondering what are everyone elses views on this? I know it's probably just all a big coincidence and a load of rubbish, but still, it's worth wondering?!

To top it off, those of you that have read my recent previous posts will know I have had a tough time recently and above everything else I have recently suffered a miscarriage. I recently came across an elderly lady whom I have never met or spoken to before, when she all of a sudden said to me 'I lost a little baby too 50 years ago, a little boy, he was 6 weeks' I was betweeen 5 and 6 weeks preg when I miscarried. Wierd or what?! She doesn't know me from adam! So why would she say this to me, that was all she said?

rb

xx

I have always believed that if you find a white feather, it's a sign that somewhere there's a white bird. . .

ronnie-baby wrote:

'I lost a little baby too 50 years ago, a little boy, he was 6 weeks' I was betweeen 5 and 6 weeks preg when I miscarried.

xx

I believe you cannot tell the sex of your child until at least 10-12 weeks with a scan. I doubt they had scans in those days and if they did i doubt they would probably not be available for mothers to be. If i am wrong i apologise.

However like what has already been said, she probably felt your raw emotion. But that would freak me out a little.

As for me, im not superstitious at all, never have been, but funnily enough i wont walk under a ladder (prob more due to something falling on me)!!

yummy mummy91 wrote:

You can't tell the sex of your baby until your 20 weeks scan

You can tell before this if you were to have a scan prior to your 20 wk scan. Some people do have one earlier for various reasons.

finding white feathers is supposed to be a sign that someone on the other side has paid you a visit. I often find them, totally at random on the landing and in even more bizarre places. I do find them comforting as they often tend to coincide with stressul events which is uncanny. Those who belive will tell you that you do have a guardian angel, and its their way of saying I'm here for you. I take comfort from that, but I'd also love to know who it is!

I'm also quite a superstitious person, I hate single magpies and always say hello Mr Magpie where's your wife, which my kids think is hilarious If I see a single one first thing in the morning it puts me in a mood all day lol!

The red and white flowers thing is considered bad luck if you take them into hospital as it represents the white bandages and red blood.

I believe you make your own luck. The state of your mind and your outlook really do influence your life.
There is no such thing as bad luck, just bad planning.

Dee_licious333 wrote:

yummy mummy91 wrote:

You can tell before this if you were to have a scan prior to your 20 wk scan. Some people do have one earlier for various reasons.

Bear ibn mind aswell that there are the "old wives tales" about how you can tell (if you carry low, it's a boy; if you lose weight off your bum, it's a girl, etc.), and they were taken much more seriously way back when technology didn't provide any alternative. So could be even that she "just knew" it was a boy.

I have to agree with MrM. I'm not superstitious in the slightest. Quite the opposite in fact. There's plenty of research on why people believe certain things and how we pay more attention to things at certain times making it seem that something only happens when we're sad, happy, tired whatever due to confirmation bias.

I believe in science. I'm perfectly happy with the idea that nothing happens after I die and my dead relatives aren't waiting for me. After all, as a famous man once said - "I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it".

I know some people think that there's no beauty in rationality and science being paramount over superstition but I think there's a lot of beauty in the world and the fact that things are that way because they must be due to the constraints of nature is more beautiful to me than things being that way because of some sort of divine intervention - be it a God's imagination or some kind of fate. I believe we make our own luck and our happiness in our hands - I can grieve for people I miss, but take comfort in knowing they're not missing me since they no longer exist. As sad as it is when someone dies (and my heart goes out to you rb - losing a child is something I can't imagine and I know it must be devastating) in a way it's comforting to know the ill effects of that death only effect the living - the person who's died no longer exists and therefore feels nothing - no pain or sadness.

I also prioritise happiness because I know we only get to live once - I've got to enjoy every minute of my life because it's short and there's only one! It makes for a lot more peace in my life and I remind myself not to stress about things that are outside of my control.

Adx

I beleive in signs and that some people are more in tune with "the otherside".

I'm not supersticious, but my mum is very, she won't even come to my house on any Friday the 13th because I have a black cat.

I actually like superstitions more when I know where they come from. For example, the black cat thing used to be good luck in most cultures because of various myths that had the black cat being some form of magical being; this lead to the popularity of them being witches familiars, and thus evil and bringing bad luck to any good person; then, due to them being pretty much obliterated - any pure black cat was killed, so genetically it's an anomoly to find a black cat that doesn't have white socks or some 'flaw', and thus they're mega-rare - they've been seen as good luck in European cultures, due to it being close on a miracle to see one, with some exceptions where their magical escape from death brings fear of their obvious powers. so I like the superstition we have now, that black cats are good luck, because it's build on something tangible, namely the scarcity of true black cats making one crossing your path a one in a bajillion event.

Similarly, the white feather one is nice. It is meant to be a 'visit' by a deceased loved on or a guardian angel, but it's based on a history of them signifying death: in many cultures, men who refused to fight or stand up for something were given a white feather to symbolise cowardice, usually continuing so that if the man received three feathers and didn't change his ways, he'd be 'punished', usually with death, the burning of his home, the kidnap of his eldest son, or some other horror, with three white feathers left as the only remnants. Back during WWI, England adopted a slightly less grusome variation, by sending a single white feather to 'cowards' who refused to enlist. Anyway, it has historically been a sign of a link to death and loss, and over time became seen to be a more positive sign and ascribed to angels when no human evil was afoot.

BashfulBabe wrote:

Dee_licious333 wrote:

yummy mummy91 wrote:

Bear ibn mind aswell that there are the "old wives tales" about how you can tell (if you carry low, it's a boy; if you lose weight off your bum, it's a girl, etc.), and they were taken much more seriously way back when technology didn't provide any alternative. So could be even that she "just knew" it was a boy.

I think you need to read the very first post!! Will explain our responses a bit better!

Sorry to be a downer, but when I read that, I assumed by "he was six weeks" she meant that he has been born six weeks previously.

I'm not supersticious at all. A lot of the older ones, like not putting new shoes on tables and things, came about because people thought they invited faeries and spirits into the house.

Alicia D'amore wrote:

I also prioritise happiness because I know we only get to live once - I've got to enjoy every minute of my life because it's short and there's only one! It makes for a lot more peace in my life and I remind myself not to stress about things that are outside of my control.

Adx

I am likeminded and agree with pretty much everything you have posted about this thread. If only others had the same outlook- the world would be a better place!!

And apologies for misreading the first post... i read one of the sentences in one go!! sorry

Very much agree AD.

(Dee - are you on chat?)