Break up songs.

After reading the Orgasmic Lyrics thread and chatting to a few people it came to me that, even without realising it, we seem to aquire a breakup song. A song that either reminds us of the good times or a song that we cant help but put on repeat and scream to, a song that inspires us to get through no matter what.

Personally my 3 break up songs have been Since you've been gone by Kelly Clarkson - basically since I broke from him I realised I really could breath and do just what I wanted without being told off, and the world didnt cave in because of it either lol, the second was Never Again by Kelly Clarkson which really speaks for itself, I want bk after i broke up with him first and well this was definatly the final straw, when he tried to kiss me I pushed him away and meant it when I said "U will never again touch me with those dirty stinky lips of yours" oh such joy and finally my third was So What by Pink and the part that goes "I guess I just lost my husband" really sang out to me as its kinda true...... one minute I was happy to be with him and the next I found out things I should have realised long ago and I knew we just couldnt carry on together.

So let us all know what got you though the tough days people and what lyrics from those songs were most poinient to u =)

I think Alanis Morisette "You Oughta Know" is an amazing break up song!

I want you to know, that I'm happy for you
I wish nothing but the best for you both
An older version of me
Is she perverted like me
Would she go down on you in a theatre
Does she speak eloquently
And would she have your baby
I'm sure she'd make a really excellent mother

'cause the love that you gave that we made wasn't able
To make it enough for you to be open wide, no
And every time you speak her name
Does she know how you told me you'd hold me
Until you died, till you died
But you're still alive

And I'm here to remind you
Of the mess you left when you went away
It's not fair to deny me
Of the cross I bear that you gave to me
You, you, you oughta know

You seem very well, things look peaceful
I'm not quite as well, I thought you should know
Did you forget about me Mr. Duplicity
I hate to bug you in the middle of dinner
It was a slap in the face how quickly I was replaced
Are you thinking of me when you fuck her?

'cause the love that you gave that we made wasn't able
To make it enough for you to be open wide, no
And every time you speak her name
Does she know how you told me you'd hold me
Until you died, til you died
But you're still alive

And I'm here to remind you
It's not fair to deny me

'cause the joke that you laid on the bed that was me
And I'm not gonna fade
As soon as you close your eyes and you know it
And every time I scratch my nails down someone else's back
I hope you feel it...well can you feel it

Well, I'm here to remind you
It's not fair to deny me

xxKPxx

I don't have breakup songs as such but have had a few 'friend' breakup songs, one of which was Aerosmith's 'Hole in my soul'

haha, a cover of since you been gone by a band called a day to remember, enjoy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC3P-79LD2U

two that have been helping me recently are by a band called zebrahead, hello tomorrow http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Epe2dfFwSVo and their other song let it ride http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHq_FvU77rY

I think Kelly Clarkson needs to lighten up...

the song that goes 'i get knocked down, i get up again' bla bla bla - i listened to that once for a while after a gnarly cheat-ridden bitch of a breakup. I don't like to connect things to music though because you never know when you'll hear it again and it can get you when you're not looking! :)

For those whom it helps I am glad though! :D

tronic wrote:

the song that goes 'i get knocked down, i get up again' bla bla bla - i listened to that once for a while after a gnarly cheat-ridden bitch of a breakup. I don't like to connect things to music though because you never know when you'll hear it again and it can get you when you're not looking! :)

For those whom it helps I am glad though! :D

Chumbawumba! lol...... yeah thats always a good one to jump around the house to!

You give love a bad name. One of about 2 bon jovi songs I like, otherwise heard one, heard 'em all.

Billy Talent - The ex

I've never broken up with anyone but I have songs for when I miss people and for when I'm angry.

I like a bit of heavy metal and it's great to blare out Metallica when I'm in a foul mood.

There are tons of songs that make me cry and when I miss someone I'll play them to get all the sad out of my system, then listen to something happy to cheer up after.

Dance with My Father by Luther Vandross in particular makes me cry...especially the bit that goes "Sometimes I listen outside her door, and I hear how my mama cries for him, I pray for her even more than me"

Axx

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

I don't really have any 'break up songs' Think its a bit childish to have specific songs that relate to a break up rather than songs that just remind you of an ex. I have loads of songs that remind me of exes, but I don't tend to linger in thought about them too much, or else it spoils a perfectly good song.

Though I agree with KP that "You oughta know" is a good break-up song. Specifically written for the cause I think!

I understand what you mean that the song then always seem to remind you of your ex but in my case I didnt really choose them but they just seemed to fit the time. Infact these songs I know dont listen to or want t.

Shania Twain's "Nah" is excellent for this purpose (but in all other respects, a dreadful record!) See below.

SS xx

I thought I might begin by fillin' you in
In case you didn't already know
I'll never forget how you got up and left
In fact it was downright pretty low
There ain't no way I wanna,
You know I ain't gonna
Take you back, so don't even try
You can beg, you can plead--
You can sweat, you can bleed
Too bad I don't care if you cry

That's it! That's all! We had fun!
We had a ball!
It was good while it lasted,
But now I'm past it.
It was short. It was sweet!
Sure you swept me off my feet
I miss you now and then,
But would I do it all again?

Nah.

Muz333 wrote:

Billy Talent - The ex

The chorus is amazing and very poiniant..... Well I dont know much, and I don't know how........ why would she put me through such torture, I would have given my life for her, she was the one that knocked me over, Now i'm alone sitting in the corner.

A very blokey break up song.

Bye bye baby - bay city rollers x

Yeah, it's a blokey break up song as it basically gets you fired up over it rather than depressed which is always a good thing. At the end of the day though you'll soon forget all about the relationship as soon as you meet someone new. I know I don't think about any of my ex's now. (:

It also contains this lyrical gem.

SS xx

Well, I hope you learned a lesson,
'Cause you'll never be messin'
With my head again the way that you did
It was never gonna work; you were too much of a jerk
I'm finally fed up with it

My favourite band write about nearly nothing but break ups.

The Good Life's "Album of the year" is a concept album of 12 songs describing the beginning and eventual disintegration of a relationship. The worst album to listen to after you break up. You'll just want to kill yourself.

The following isn't even off this album. He's been called the most depressed man in music. I love him.

After O'Rourkes 2:10am

"I hate it when you say you need me.
You don't need me.
I hate even worse that I need you.
It kills me.
When I was young I loved to be by myself, all alone.
Now that I'm older Im scared of myself, all alone.
So lay with me, my love.

I hate when you say you know me.
You don't know me.
What I hate even worse is I know you.
You're no mystery.
You refuse to acknowledge how much you can't stand who I am.
I've been trying to tell you that I'm a terror of a man.
I hate it when you call
... so lonesome after the bar.
I know I should hang up the phone, but I never do."

Errrr. . . In my case "I'm H-A-P-P-Y!" or I'm moving on up, you're moving on out! Hee hee. Karma folks, karma. SG x

The song that was playing in the van the moment I realised our relationship was well and truly over was warick avenue by Duffy. Seemed to sum up the entire relationship. Not got any that I scream along to, but I have songs that I hate no coz they were hhis faves. x

My old housemate spent an entire summer listening to The Streets' "Dry Your Eyes Mate" after a romance ended, but it just made him glummer. Then he accidentally caught an episode of Muppet Babies and realised that the girl in question really did look just like Miss Piggy, and I hadn't just been saying it to make him feel better. That appeared to help a lot.

SS xx