Circumcision- Help!

Hi Everyone!

I’m a guy in my late thirties, and I’m getting circumcised in a few weeks time. It’s due to a tight foreskin which in the past I’ve had managed through steroid creams, but it’s got to the point where this is required to finally solve it.

I’m glad I’m finally seeing a resolution, but having said that I’m REALLY nervous. I’ve never had any real procures in my life aside from stuff at the dentist, the usual jabs and a few blood tests.

Has anyone got any similar experience as I’d be interested to see how they’ve found it? It’s a few weeks out yet so I’ve not had all the information from the hospital, and I don’t really want to Google it either as I don’t want to stumble across any horror stories!

5 Likes

Hi, welcome to the forum @SalopianWolf :wave:

A close relative of mine went through the same thing in his late 20’s. So your not alone.
It was incredibly routine, professional and i was actually surprised by how quickly they did it.
I can only imagine how scary it is for you, so big hugs :hugs:

Have you considered looking it up on the NHS website? Theres even a pamphlet on there detailing what happens. (And no scary stories, i checked)

3 Likes

Hi @SalopianWolf, I went through the exact same thing as a teenager! Try not to stress too much about it! The recovery time is about 2 weeks and after that, things get significantly easier and better! :slightly_smiling_face:

After the procedure, I didn’t have to stay overnight, but they do make you try and pee first, before they discharge you, just to make sure everything’s fine!

The doctor did advise me to be on bed rest for 2 weeks, though I was pretty embarrassed about the whole thing and didn’t want to have to explain to people why I was disappearing for a couple of weeks, so instead I just rested over the weekend and carried on with my life after 2 days of rest! It probably wasn’t the best idea, because the first few days are pretty painful and you will need painkillers to manage it (doctor should advise you what to take as part of the procedure). Walking was also tough, due to all the pain, but just taking it slow really makes a difference.

After about 2 weeks, the majority of the stitches had dissolved and everything was fine!

So basically just try to do as little as possible for the first couple of weeks and I’m sure things will all go well for you too! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Try not to worry about it as it will only make it worse.
My dad was circumcised when I was a little girl (we have an open household so everything was always discussed, some may find that strange but that’s just my family :laughing:). He said it was tender but he was ‘trying it out’ the same day to see if it still worked :face_with_hand_over_mouth::laughing:
Just take pain meds and try relax :slight_smile:

1 Like

Been in exactly the same place as you for exactly the same reason mate.

Fear not, it will not fall off, ruin sensation or diminish your future capability in any way.

The operation itself is very simple and yes it will be sore initially like any sensitive skin incision but it will heal within a month or two and I have to say (having had the experience with or without a foreskin) I personally prefer being without it - especially as I know how uncomfortable you are feeling at the moment.

Best thing you can do and there is literally no other option anyway.

I had to have mine done about three months after I’d opted for a vasectomy, and the circumcision was far less bother in my opinion as clearly I was not conscious.

Hang in there and look forward to hanging out again soon - you will be fine.

2 Likes

Hello there :wave:

1 Like

Having been circumcised as an infant I cannot offer any advise on that. The hospital staff will be very sensitive about the whole procedure. You may be embarrassed but to them its just another patient having surgery. Good luck and try not to worry.

1 Like

I was done shortly after I was born, so I can’t really offer any advice (except to make sure they hire the ugliest nurses to see to your aftercare…!)

In all seriousness though, the people I’ve known who have required this done in adulthood have all come through okay, if understandably sore. I get that circumcision has a bad rap nowadays, but speaking from the Cleanskin Camp I can honestly say that I’m thankful not to have had to endure that kind of op as an adult, even with pain medication! I wish you all the best, mate.

3 Likes

Hey mr, so a good thing about male circumcision is it should heal fairly fast. But of course you have to be practical in knowing it is gonna be uncomfortable for the first few days after procedure and peeing maybe a bit stingy ouch if urine goes on the wound or if you have an erection which stretches the skin.

Painkillers will help and some good supportive underwear such as briefs. Also positioning your penis upwards in underwear throughout the day could possibly help with the swelling as they say in other medical stuff keeping limbs levitated will bring down swelling.

Hope this is of some help to you.

1 Like

Hi mate, all sounds very familiar. I had to have it done a couple years ago for similar reasons. Ultimately I’m glad I had it done and don’t regret it for one second. I had a month or so of it being very sore and sensitive. I remember thinking “I’m never going to get used to this”. I could feel everything on the tip, felt too much.

Like I say, a month or so and it’s fine. Take good care of your chap and it’s already been mentioned but tighter pants to keep him in position is a must.

Good luck mate. Nothing to worry about and you’ll be pleased you did it

1 Like

@SalopianWolf

Hey! I actually had this done when I was 25. I had severe phimosis and literally couldn’t hace sex until it was fixed. I was too embarrassed growing up to see a doctor.

It wasn’t bad at all. The worst part of recovery was nocturnal erections waking you up cause of the stitches. So just have an ice pack in the fridge when that happens and it will get rid of it.

I think my recovery was worse since I was never use to the head being exposed. So it was crazy sensitive.

There was no negative results. Still very sensitive. Hard to see scar. I’m glad that I had it done (besides having to do it lol)

1 Like

I too had the procedure when I was about 6, just remember having to tend to it for a while. However the general anesthetic could have finished me off, as my muscular dystrophy was undiscovered!

1 Like

Thank you to everyone for their comments on this, it’s been so useful and reassuring hearing other peoples experiences.

It’s just over 5 weeks to go now, feeling positive and although I’m a bit nervous but can’t wait until it’s over and done with so I can then focus on recovery . I will definitely post some more updates on here once it’s done (obviously no pictures haha) and let you all know how things are getting on.

6 Likes

Hi Everyone! So I had my operation on Monday and everything seemed to go well. I managed to stay calm too which was a big worry of mine, although when they started on the general anaesthetic I said I feel like I’m on a night out and the last thing I remember saying was let’s get some pizza in!

Anyway pain wise I’m not doing too bad. Bit sore generally day to day but painkillers seem to be keeping that in check. I’ve been up and about a fair bit and gradually doing more each day.

A few people mentioned nocturnal erections, all on that I’ll say is lord a mercy!!

5 Likes

Had mine done last year at the age of 26… you will be fine just dont do anything too strenuous to begin with and only when you feel like it has healed enough

I want to go to the doctors and see about it for me but what do you say lol when you phone up and ask for a appointment and she says what’s it regarding lol

1 Like

They’ve heard it all @adaml.91
Honestly…

Don’t leave it if it’s causing you anguish and worry…give them a ring…I’ve had to discuss very personal matters and what is discussed in the doctors has to stay in the doctors…patient confidentiality… or they can lose their jobs. Receptionists…nurses…and Doctors.

Say you’d like some advice regarding circumcision as the Doctor you are assigned might be the best one for that certain issue.

Ours have 6 and they all have subjects they have more training in than others.

Good Luck and you will feel better for it afterwards.

@CurvyJilly is spot on, the staff have heard everything before. May be you could say the problem relates to the male reproductive system, but personally I would just say circumcision

Had mine done when i was 16 for same reason…absolutely nothing to worry about at all.

It’s uncomfortable at first, takes a bit for you to get used to the end touching and rubbing but honestly…best thing I’ve done.

Only thing i did notice how less sensitive sex was but you last like a stallion lol