Cleaning Advice

After a little bit of advice. Basically it would appear that some lube has leaked over my suede boots and now has left a mark on them. I have tried suede cleaner to get it off however it won't budge.

Anyone got any tips?

Mods please fel free to move this if you don't think this is the right forum ![](upload://ez5kOkpKXRZOxjavAURYmQxVTau.gif)

Cant help you im afraid ![](upload://JDvwB4BqTlXmc0TRZyEqziKCrM.gif)

Interesting to see what others may suggest though. As its suede id be scared to cause further damage to it. How about some kind of cleaning cloth that has cleaning agents in it? Maybe email the company who designed the boot?

🐼

When I had a pair of suede boots in the 80s all I used was a brush and steam from the kettle,not sure how well it would work for you though.

I am guessing a lot would depend on the kind of lube too xxxx

tiny bit of soap and warm water with a soft cloth and blow dry

i swear by washing up liquid. i use it on everything. Try it on a tiny bit first. Dont want to kill your boots 😯

If the boots are something you really treasure it might be worth having them dry cleaned or maybe see what a cobblers shop can do for you, i do know getting suede professionally cleaned isn't cheap and they may not be able to get rid of the stain completely if the stain has been present a long time

If it was water based lube then water would clean them but with suede you would have to clean it all over so it drys the same ![](upload://ez5kOkpKXRZOxjavAURYmQxVTau.gif)

I'm agree with Throbin, you will need to give the whole boot a good clean, ideally both so one doesn't look more faded than the other. Unfortunately if it is oil based there isn't much you can do. A traditional cobblers could help out. Ask what they will charge prior to the clean as I know many people who have had their £30 boots re-heeled only to go and collect them for a £60 charge.

Suede is a very tough fabric to clean as it can "bald" and go shiny. You could try chalk to lift out some if the residue but if they are valuable to you I would avoid it and see a professional.

Thanks for all the advice, will give a few of them a go. Tried the suede cleanner already and it hasn't budged it.

Delboy1991 wrote:

i swear by washing up liquid. i use it on everything. Try it on a tiny bit first. Dont want to kill your boots 😯

Well this did the trick, clean with neat washing up liquid, then wipe with a damp cloth. Let it dry, then use the seude cleaner on it to remove the water marks.

Good as new, thanks all ![](upload://l9s9e23YKLHpoOzgGVeUkhZGcEr.gif)

Get a loaf of bread - a good loaf (like a supermarket in store bake). Slice it and leave it to dry for a day. Then rub the bread (quite hard) against the mark on the suede. The bread disintegrates as you do it - and you will have to persist.... but dried bread can bean effective wayfrom removing food stains and food grease from clothes soI hope it may work for this. It costs £1.40 for the loaf.. it won't do any harm.. so maybe worth a try.