Corsets..!

I fall short in the sizing range as well. I think Bonny said she will look into getting bigger sizes in the Pander to me thread.

Hella, a blog post on what you can use corsets for and its versatility may be useful. I know it's a topic you're well informed in. =)

As for waist reduction- from what I've read there are ones with upto 24 spiral steel bones that give upto 6-7 inches off, whereas Lovehoney's is stated as 2-5.5 inches. Is this just a rough figure or can there be more of a reduction?

I'd like to follow up Nymeria's last query, as my wife and I have been looking at corsets (and watched Hella's videos, which are great), but Mrs CH has no experience of them at all, and I'm a well-meaning but clueless bloke.

Based on what we've read so far, an underbust corset looks like a more flexible option (bring your own bra!) than an overbust one, and is more likely to fit as the bust isn't an issue. Mrs CH is a B/C cup and has had difficulties in the past with all-in-one outfits that fit okay around the waist and hips, but not so well around the bust (or vice-versa). We've been looking at the Classic Satin Underbust Steel Boned Corset from LH:

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=25502

In terms of sizing, Mrs CH is a squishy 32" waist, so we'd imagine that either the 30" or 28" corset would be appropriate. Mrs CH is a bit nervous about squeezing herself down by as much as 4", though. Am I correct that it isn't necessary to do this all in one go?

My understanding is that it's possible to leave a gap of 2" or more where the laces of the corset go across, which effectively means that a 28" corset can fit a 30" waist without any squeezing at all. On this basis, I'm thinking that the 30" corset is larger than needed, and that a 28" one would be the better option as it could accommodate a squeeze ranging from minimal up to 4", whereas the maximum squeeze with the 30" one would be just 2".

I'd be grateful if someone could let me know whether I've understood this correctly or if I'm spouting meaningless gibberish (it wouldn't be the first time!). Is there anything else that we should take into account?

Thanks!

Yes, 28" one seems much more suitable. The corset sizes are stated as how they measure when they're fully closed. If you get one the same as your waist size it won't do much for your shape. That's why the general advice is to pick one that is 4-5 inches smaller than your natural waist size.

And I agree with the choice of an underbust. I have both an underbust and overbust- even though I love my overbust one the underbust is much more versatile and easier to wear/use.

Your OH won't be squeezing herself 4" smaller, she'd only be wearing the corset with the back open (laced), naturally. She should be able to tighten it the more she becomes accustomed to it and the corset becoming more used to her shape. They do mold around your shape the more you wear them. I love it, does wonders for my self esteem, and I'm pretty sure even the underbust supports the bust too (extra bonus for us ladies lol).

Good luck and let us know how you both get on if you decide to get one. =)

A point to consider may be to get one that has more bones (24 spiral steels) but only if you wish to waist train dedicatedly however, the Lovehoney one is a perfect first time option and seems very well made (and beautiful).

Hope that helps.

It certainly does help! Many thanks.

I've been thinking of wearing the waspie corset I got as a tester product for the postgraduate dinner on Tuesday (probably under my clothing so as to not draw attention to it (not quite ready for that yet!) I've only worn it around my room so far so it would be its first outing. I actually meant to put it on tonight to help it mould to my shape but I forgot!

I was wondering though, is a corset a good idea during a 3 course formal dinner? I know historically corsets made it difficult for women to eat and even breathe and while I can't physically lace it particularly tight when there's nobody I trust to help me, would it be problematic?

I don't want to end up not waiting to eat food I've paid for, plus I certainly don't want to have to carry the corset around if I change my mind halfway through the evening and it might look rather odd in a handbag even if it did fit.

Thanks. Guess I'll give it a miss for now then.

Cat Lady wrote:

Guess I'll give it a miss for now then.

Hope you get a suitable chance to wear it out "for real" soon.

I have another question regarding the Classic Satin Underbust Steel Boned Corset from LH:

As I mentioned earlier, I'm considering this for my wife. I'd also like to find her a suitably elegant and sexy bra (or two) to match with it. Any suggestions? Are there any types to avoid? I'm wondering whether some designs might get caught against the top of the corset, or might just be uncomfortable to wear with it.

Many thanks for any guidance.

It kinda depends how it sits on her, CH. I have quite a long body so my underbust corset -- in order to cover my hips -- sits about 1-2 inches below my actual bust. For this reason, I tend to wear longline, retro-looking bras with my underbust, because I don't like that little bulge of flesh between bra & corset! I would recommend buying a beautiful set that will complement the corset, but can be worn by itself -- so that just in case it doesn't 100% work, it's not a wasted purchase!

Don't know if you've mentioned where your lady will be wearing your corset either -- if it's for the two of you in the bedroom, it's not as crucial to get something that works seamlessly with the corset as she won't be wearing them all that long ;) But if it's for attending parties etc, it's important to be comfortable!

PS: I think she'll be surprised at how much she can reduce! I have a corset that's 4" smaller, and another that's 6" smaller -- only had them a month or two and I can close both fully already and be perfectly comfortable; albeit not very mobile!

I find the bigger you are the more you have to reduce as well, maybe the body is more squishy. I take 8 inches off my waist no problems without feeling like I can't breath. Going down 10 inches and I feel constricted.

lilac_vix wrote:

I find the bigger you are the more you have to reduce as well, maybe the body is more squishy. I take 8 inches off my waist no problems without feeling like I can't breath. Going down 10 inches and I feel constricted.

Yeah I've found this too!

Cuddly Hubby wrote:

I have another question regarding the Classic Satin Underbust Steel Boned Corset from LH:

As I mentioned earlier, I'm considering this for my wife. I'd also like to find her a suitably elegant and sexy bra (or two) to match with it. Any suggestions? Are there any types to avoid? I'm wondering whether some designs might get caught against the top of the corset, or might just be uncomfortable to wear with it.

Many thanks for any guidance.

I find that it's actually easier to wear and more comfortable when you wear a non wired bra a with the corset. I find that the underbust sometimes makes my usual bras feel more uncomfortable and the bonings from both clash.

If you're wearing for longer periods, it is suggested to wear a slip or chemise under the corset so moisture from the skin doesn't stick onto the corset. I'd suggest something like this to wear underneath-

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=2495 or http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=14574 They both have stud openings on the crotch and are really thin. You can also go bra free if you feel brave.

Any lacey or satin black bra would go nicely with the corset. I find them to be really versatile as you can wear them with almost anything, be it shirts or even a night gown- http://www.fairygothmother.co.uk/fgm-kimono.htm (I love this!)

I have wore my underbust corset over some of the chemises I've purchased from here and they all seem to look great. I suggest experiementing. Another good thing is, black seems to go with almost everything. =)

After looking at the site I found some really nice breas and bra sets that might appeal to you, CH and your Mrs.:

Quite risky but stunning - http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=24167

Retro pin ups style (in black) - http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=24768

And lastly this beautiful set would go wonderfully with the black underbust corset and the colours will go well together- http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=22774 It is underwired so I'd suggest trying out the underbust with the underwires bras that you have already and see if it sits ok.

Thanks very much for all of those helpful thoughts.

shellyboo wrote:

I would recommend buying a beautiful set that will complement the corset, but can be worn by itself -- so that just in case it doesn't 100% work, it's not a wasted purchase!

That's a great idea: two presents in one!

shellyboo wrote:

Don't know if you've mentioned where your lady will be wearing your corset either -- if it's for the two of you in the bedroom, it's not as crucial to get something that works seamlessly with the corset as she won't be wearing them all that long ;) But if it's for attending parties etc, it's important to be comfortable!

It's definitely intended for wearing out (although some bedroom usage is likely too). Mrs CH has recently put a lot of effort into trimming down her tummy (very successfully!), and she's looking forward to fitting into more slinky dresses and showing off a much more hourglass-like figure. I'm hoping that a suitable corset can be a good contribution to this from me.

lilac_vix wrote:

That's amazing! I think we'll stick to a target of 4 inches for the moment, though. For practical wear, it's important that Mrs CH still has enough spare room for a bit of eating and drinking!

Nymeria wrote:

If you're wearing for longer periods, it is suggested to wear a slip or chemise under the corset so moisture from the skin doesn't stick onto the corset.

That's another handy tip -- thanks!

Nymeria wrote:

Retro pin ups style (in black) - http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=24768

Wow... that could be fantastic for Mrs CH! We've noticed that retro 1940s style seems to suit her very well, but I hadn't considered a pin-up style before. She's definitely capable of carrying off that look, along with the cheeky sense of humour. My heart is now racing at the thought of Mrs CH posing in a bullet bra along with the corset, her seamed black stockings and tall heels (or, indeed, with her black suspender belt as an alternative to the corset).

I'll consider the other ideas as well, but that one has definitely grabbed my attention!

Many thanks again.

Many thanks, Hella, for your follow-ups.

Lovehoney - Hella wrote:

Remember, there's a modesty panel which allows the corset to be open by up to 5 inches at the back! It's usually best to opt for the smaller size as you'll be surprised how quickly your body becomes accustomed to being laced in. You don't want to find that in a few weeks you wish you'd bought a smaller size.

I'd recommending ordering both the 26" and the 28" and seeing which gives the nicest fit and shape. 30" will be too big, I promise you. If she's squishy like you say, she'll have it done up in an evening. A 2 inch reduction is a lot easier than you think.

We did some experiments last night. I put a tape measure around Mrs CH's waist (a loose 33" and a snug 32") and tugged hard on it to gauge her "squish factor". 31" was easy to achieve, but 30" was much more difficult, and 29" seemed to be her absolute limit. I couldn't see any way that she's going to be able to squeeze down all the way to 28", let alone 26", in the foreseeable future. On this basis, it seems to me that 28" is the most suitable choice of corset size.

I think we'd both be delighted for Mrs CH to achieve a 30" or 29" waist. She is many more inches than this around her bust and her hips, so I imagine that it would give her a noticeable hourglass shape.

i have purchased one off another site ..will let you know how it is when it arrives

my waists 26/28 so id get a 22, but im not squishy at all, so what size should i get :S

also planning on getting the longline one but my hips are much bigger than my waist so will it still accomodate for that?

Just to answer Hella's reply to me two posts up (I'm unable to quote with my browser following the recent changes to the forum). I've received the 28" corset and my wife has tried it on. It seems fine, with a residual gap of 1.5 to 2 inches (future capacity for additional squishing!) after we did it up, waited for a while, and then tightened it further.

On that basis, I've put the corset away again to wrap up for my wife for Christmas. I'd have liked it to be a surprise, but I think it was best to check the fit beforehand -- especially as neither of us had any prior experience with corsets!

Many thanks once again to everyone who offered helpful advice. :)

I ordered my first corset last night and I'm sooo excited - I've always wanted one!

I always like my corsets to start off having a 5/6 inch gap because over the course of wearing it a few hours I will take it down by another 4 or so. I never like it to be totally closed, thats usually my cue to go down a size.

I do think when you buy a corset, particularly if you don't have an hour glass shape or you have quite extreme curves. They usually tell you what the hip to waist to bust ratio is. Most standard off the peg corsets seem to have an 8inch difference but a few have 10. When I tight lace my waist is 16 inches smaller than my hips so the lacing on an off the peg corset is never quite straight. It will have to do till I can afford the £200 odd quid it costs for a made to measure on though!

A good tip if you have large hips is to get a bell bottomed corset as these where origionally designed for women to ride in and are bigger in the hips to allow extra movement.