Damaging yourself with a vibrator - please don't let this be true!

WandA wrote:

Rowan wrote:

Doug wrote:

WandA wrote:

Doug wrote:

erm right, cos vibrations can stop an elerctrical impulse

(WandA dont go all sci, i know human nerves are chemical technicaly)

Why pick on me!

External Media

cos you can take it :P

And neither KP or Ad are around External Media

Lumped in the same group as those two fabulous people. I can live with that! External Media

Rowan wrote:

Oh and new scientific research now suggests that if the vibrations are strong enough they can loosen you r clitoris so really it's worth making the most of it before gravity and vibrations together conspire against you....

Some clits have been so affected by gravity they hang by like 6 inches and start to look a lot like penises... Well, that's what that girl Tony told me last night anyway.External Media

Indeed it is! Quite serious actually, corrective surgery is available but most just choose to live with the disability. Try setting alarms on your phone for 20 minutes. My one pressing concern is; if 20 mins with a vibrator causes irreversible damage, what on earth would they recommend for frequent rough sex? External Media

From the way these lot go at it I think not I wouldnt be surprised if someones at it now...

Doug wrote:

Alicia D'amore wrote:

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

It -can- cause nerve damage. Not often that happens though, spesh after only 20mins.. But if you are using a strong vibe like a bullet or hitatchi wand or something pretty powerful, you get that 'numbness' that tends to wear off after a while. In some rare cases, the numbness can last a lot longer..

Thats all I know really.

Don't think it's actually nerve damage though! Maybe temporary desensitisation but not actual damage :)

Don't see how nerve damage would be possible!

Adx

there is a technical term for it, but basicaly its to do with the way nerves work.

In a nutshell the nerves detect the vibrations, however if they are regular and the same, ie you keep the same presure, then the body will get used to it, and "ignorn" the implues sent by the nerves, which is also why you can "feel" something there even if there is nothing, as the brain is ignoring the signals, doesn't register that there are no longer any signals being sent

Adaptation or accommodation.

Different nerves adapt better than others - those that sense the clothes you wear, get "used" to the sensation pretty well, is why you rarely notice your clothes.

Adx

I would say this is rather unlikely to be true! People who work with vibrating tools like pneumatic drills and chainsaws can get some nerve and muscle damage called after years of intense daily use. Compared to occupational exposure to these ridiculously high intensity vibrations I'd say most vibes are no where near so I don't really see a problem!

Also, vibrators have been around for years so I would have thought we'd have seen widespread litigation from an older generation of numb women by now!

xxKPxx

KittyPurry wrote:

I would say this is rather unlikely to be true! People who work with vibrating tools like pneumatic drills and chainsaws can get some nerve and muscle damage called after years of intense daily use. Compared to occupational exposure to these ridiculously high intensity vibrations I'd say most vibes are no where near so I don't really see a problem!

Also, vibrators have been around for years so I would have thought we'd have seen widespread litigation from an older generation of numb women by now!

xxKPxx

If lmaoit were true my oh wouldbe totally numb by now and i would have white finger too ...lmao

These stories always come out to scare women and they are complete bull.

We have more nerve endings in the clit than any other part of the body. In my opinion, encouraging blood flow and having orgasms can only be a good thing

For anyone worried about your sensitivity, have a chat with the GP. It's very common to experience changes in sensitivity and your doctor can advise little things to help like diet and changes in medication.

PS this website is fantastic. It's aimed at young people but I recommend it to everyone because it's positive, open minded and educational

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advice/do_vibrators_cause_a_loss_of_sensitivity

They say: Vibrators cannot "desensitize" anyone in any permanent way. There have never been any findings through sound research which have shown that vibrators or other vigorous stimulation of the clitoris do anyone harm or change anyone's anatomy or sexual response permanently

Also, here's a quote Bonny posted in a similar thread:

Quoting - http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=7529 'Continious use of a vibrator will not damage the nerve endings in the clitoris or the penis. You may experience a temporary numbness of your genitals caused by the vibrations, but your sensitivity always return.' they even have a section on 'Vibrator Addiction'

Personally, as the Scarleteen article says, I'm more worried about what circumcision and labia surgery is doing to men and women's sensitivity.

So no permanent damage, so all is well! So get those vibrators back out and have a celebration session : )

i agree with your last sentence tiger.. more then vibrator damage could possibly do ,because it's only temporary numbness

Tigerlilies wrote:

These stories always come out to scare women and they are complete bull.

We have more nerve endings in the clit than any other part of the body. In my opinion, encouraging blood flow and having orgasms can only be a good thing

For anyone worried about your sensitivity, have a chat with the GP. It's very common to experience changes in sensitivity and your doctor can advise little things to help like diet and changes in medication.

PS this website is fantastic. It's aimed at young people but I recommend it to everyone because it's positive, open minded and educational

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advice/do_vibrators_cause_a_loss_of_sensitivity

They say: Vibrators cannot "desensitize" anyone in any permanent way. There have never been any findings through sound research which have shown that vibrators or other vigorous stimulation of the clitoris do anyone harm or change anyone's anatomy or sexual response permanently

Also, here's a quote Bonny posted in a similar thread:

Quoting - http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=7529 'Continious use of a vibrator will not damage the nerve endings in the clitoris or the penis. You may experience a temporary numbness of your genitals caused by the vibrations, but your sensitivity always return.' they even have a section on 'Vibrator Addiction'

Personally, as the Scarleteen article says, I'm more worried about what circumcision and labia surgery is doing to men and women's sensitivity.

labia surgery? really? I'm afraid to google it! I have had circumcision but not for vanity reasons, but I thought the hacking of ladyparts was reserved for strange ritualistic tribal shindigs in the dark corners of the world?

Pinkilious wrote:

So no permanent damage, so all is well! So get those vibrators back out and have a celebration session : )

sounds like a good idea ts wet and cold so back to bed is it?

tronic wrote:

labia surgery? really? I'm afraid to google it! I have had circumcision but not for vanity reasons, but I thought the hacking of ladyparts was reserved for strange ritualistic tribal shindigs in the dark corners of the world?

Yup, very common. Women who think their labias are ugly or too big have a doctor 'trim them down.' It's horrible and 99.9 percent of the time, when it's not disrupting daily life, it's completely unnecessary.

A much scarier practice is that of Dr. Dix P. Poppas. His practices on young women and children caused a big stir in the blogging sphere but it didn't crop up in the mainstream media that much. Quizzical Pussy wrote an article here http://quizzicalpussy.com/babyhack/

Vibrators are so not the enemy.

I'll never understand why people want to control the sexuality of others, be it by chopping bits off or throwing out scare stories...

chopping bits off is sary enough

oops scary

Thing is there will always be a small percentage of people who will gain damage from a vibrator but that does not mean everyone will. Unless they have done a proper study which proves damage then I will use my vibrator for as long as I want to and even if they do prove a link they can prise it from my numb clit at their peril!!!

I would also go as far as saying that since using vibes, I've become more sensitive and in tune with how I respond.

So does this explain all those hot flustered middle aged women at my GP's surgery...