Damaging yourself with a vibrator - please don't let this be true!

Hi all!

I was reading through a magazine at work today, and it said that using a vibrator for more than 20 minutes can give you nerve damage! Admittedly, it was Love It magazine (don't judge me, it was at work and it was lying around! :P) on the advice page, so it may not be the most reputable source in the world, but it had me shocked and made me wonder if I should change my habits. A decent solo session for me normally lasts 40-60 minutes, and although the vibe sessions I have with my boyfriend tend to be shorter (he makes me orgasm quicker and harder!) they still generally last more than 20 minutes.

Is there any credit to this idea? Do I have anything to worry about?

Oh I blinking hope not =S. Maybe their research is based on people getting used to the weak vibrations and needing harder stronger ones maybe? I can understand that but no way can a vibrator kill the nerve endings...... (I hope) =S

*sticks fingers in her ears* LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA....!!!!!!!

i dont think so 20 mins ha ha

Ecksvie wrote:

Hi all!

I was reading through a magazine at work today, and it said that using a vibrator for more than 20 minutes can give you nerve damage! Admittedly, it was Love It magazine (don't judge me, it was at work and it was lying around! :P) on the advice page, so it may not be the most reputable source in the world, but it had me shocked and made me wonder if I should change my habits. A decent solo session for me normally lasts 40-60 minutes, and although the vibe sessions I have with my boyfriend tend to be shorter (he makes me orgasm quicker and harder!) they still generally last more than 20 minutes.

Is there any credit to this idea? Do I have anything to worry about?

Has anything broken yet Ecks? Did your sessions used to last 5mins and now last two days due to losing sensitivity?

If not I'd write this 'advice' off as big shiny baubles!

I do think temporary desensitisation is normal and using vibes a lot can make it that bit harder next time but I really really doubt any thing permanent.

erm right, cos vibrations can stop an elerctrical impulse

(WandA dont go all sci, i know human nerves are chemical technicaly)

Doug wrote:

Why pick on me!

External Media

WandA wrote:

Doug wrote:

Why pick on me!

External Media

cos you can take it :P

Doug wrote:

WandA wrote:

Doug wrote:

Why pick on me!

External Media

And neither KP or Ad are around External Media

annnnnd he loves his technicalities (you can correct the spelling of that one )

Oh and new scientific research now suggests that if the vibrations are strong enough they can loosen you r clitoris so really it's worth making the most of it before gravity and vibrations together conspire against you....

but then that could happen if your driving on a rough road with stiff suspension,

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

It -can- cause nerve damage. Not often that happens though, spesh after only 20mins.. But if you are using a strong vibe like a bullet or hitatchi wand or something pretty powerful, you get that 'numbness' that tends to wear off after a while. In some rare cases, the numbness can last a lot longer..

Thats all I know really.

so when it goes numb you stop cos what's the point if you can't feel it

Rowan wrote:

Doug wrote:

WandA wrote:

Doug wrote:

Why pick on me!

External Media

Lumped in the same group as those two fabulous people. I can live with that! External Media

Rowan wrote:

Oh and new scientific research now suggests that if the vibrations are strong enough they can loosen you r clitoris so really it's worth making the most of it before gravity and vibrations together conspire against you....

Some clits have been so affected by gravity they hang by like 6 inches and start to look a lot like penises... Well, that's what that girl Tony told me last night anyway.External Media

WandA wrote:

Rowan wrote:

Doug wrote:

WandA wrote:

Doug wrote:

Why pick on me!

External Media

Lumped in the same group as those two fabulous people. I can live with that! External Media

Rowan wrote:

Some clits have been so affected by gravity they hang by like 6 inches and start to look a lot like penises... Well, that's what that girl Tony told me last night anyway.External Media

is that for real cor what a clit would love to suck that

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

It -can- cause nerve damage. Not often that happens though, spesh after only 20mins.. But if you are using a strong vibe like a bullet or hitatchi wand or something pretty powerful, you get that 'numbness' that tends to wear off after a while. In some rare cases, the numbness can last a lot longer..

Thats all I know really.

Don't think it's actually nerve damage though! Maybe temporary desensitisation but not actual damage :)

Don't see how nerve damage would be possible!

Adx

lickmadick wrote:

WandA wrote:

lol..... well any gay bar should be able to accomodate LMD hun *giggle*

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

Oh, you can feel it, until it stops and it's like... like.. having a strong vibrator on one area for a long time then stopping! (Can't explain it.)

Yeah, I know what you mean. You can still feel it, but it doesn't feel too...specific. Like your whole clit is just vibrating away, even when it's only on one small area. Sort of like poking yourself with something when you've got pins and needles. You can feel it, but only just, and not only in the area that you were touching.

Malteser81 wrote:

lickmadick wrote:

WandA wrote:

lol..... well any gay bar should be able to accomodate LMD hun *giggle*

never been to one as yet ha ha malteser perhaps that might be on my things to do list lol

Alicia D'amore wrote:

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

Thats all I know really.

Don't think it's actually nerve damage though! Maybe temporary desensitisation but not actual damage :)

Don't see how nerve damage would be possible!

Adx

there is a technical term for it, but basicaly its to do with the way nerves work.

In a nutshell the nerves detect the vibrations, however if they are regular and the same, ie you keep the same presure, then the body will get used to it, and "ignorn" the implues sent by the nerves, which is also why you can "feel" something there even if there is nothing, as the brain is ignoring the signals, doesn't register that there are no longer any signals being sent