Dating advice

Hey, joined the forum a while back, although I’ve not posted much I find everyone seems to very friendly and offer loads of advice which I think is great.

I’m single and find the dating thing very hard, always over think things, never really no what to say on dating sites, apart from the usual “hey how are you”. I always think I’ll say the wrong thing.

Getting to the where it gets me down a little any advice would be appreciated.

I would really like to meet someone where you can enjoy things as a couple.

5 Likes

One of the oldest and truest aspects of meeting someone new, be yourself.

Don’t worry about about saying the wrong thing, but do obviously mind your p’s and q’s so to speak.

Don’t pretend to be some one you are not, your partner will eventually find out and it won’t end well. If someone is not interested in who you are simply move on. There will be some one out there who likes you, for who you are.

Humour goes a long way no corny jokes though, keep the conversation light Hearted and try to find some common interest that you can build a conversation on.

Don’t be pushy, listen to what they have to say and make sure to show an interest as to what they are saying, even if they are talking about Quantum Physics.

Be you, be yourself and be you, that way you will meet someone who likes you. If they don’t like you they were not meant for you move on.

Dating sites are not easy you have to stand out from the crowd, a person may receive 100 “How are you?” messages, try and be original say something they may not be expecting to get noticed.

Most of all don’t let it get you down because that will show in your persona. You will find someone but you have to knock on a few doors first :+1:

9 Likes

Hey, good on you for putting yourself out there. I feel like Dating is incredibly hard at the moment too. Your one step up on me though as i am still trying to get my head round making a dating profile (nerves) so don’t put yourself down.
Maybe read their profile, start the conversation by asking about their hobbies or what kind of music they like.

4 Likes

Hey dude, I can relate in ways as am in the same dating boat and know how much harder it has become in recent years to even find a genuine connection to someone.

With talking on dating apps I find a great starter is to ask a most bizarre and random question to get a conversation going, something like, ‘if you was to join a colony on the moon, what 5 items would you pack in your suitcase?’.

4 Likes

Ooh, good question. Will have to remember that tip.

2 Likes

Be yourself
Be honest
Be out of the box with your thoughts
DO NOT Mention sex until after you have met a few times then go all out if that illusive connection is there
Good luck its tough took me years of learning mostly the hard way !

2 Likes

Learn to love yourself - if you are in a place where most things are good in your life, you have lots of interests and a range of friends to spend time with then it takes the pressure away from trying to find someone special. The more activities you are involved in will open up your potential places to meet someone so try a few of the things that you quite fancy doing and see where it takes you. For example if you occasionally go for a run join the local running club and take part in weekly club runs or parkruns. Getting fit is a great way to feel better about yourself.

Good luck and enjoy the process of finding someone, life is what you make of it.

1 Like

Watch First Dates on Channel 4 - so many great examples of how to do it…and how not to do it!
Showing interest in your date with open questions should relax you as they’ll do most the talking and give you an opportunity to discover commonality.
Be honest, be yourself and make an effort to get to know the person - if that’s difficult speak to your friends and ask them what they like about you and if they can help you meet people/sell your best attributes on a dating app - they know you best.
Good luck.

1 Like

Haha indeed! Anything that can get a random conversation started is a really useful way to break the ice and it puts a fun spin on things than doing the usual small talk :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Thanks for all the reply’s and advice everyone.

Dating sites are hard, It’s like mind just goes blank so annoying. I guess just need to get out there. I think maybe anxiety just get the better of me most of the time. frustrating.

It will happen at the right time I’m sure.

5 Likes

Hey, no worries. I know the feeling too, i bet alot of people do and Chances are you wont be the only person whose nervous when you start up a conversation, they probubly are too. I find it helps me to remember that when i get stuck.

2 Likes