Online dating

Anyone had any experience with online dating, good or bad, I'm very wary of it, you hear some dodgy stories but are there really that many weirdos out there? I'm newly single and don't know where, or even, if I should go there

I met someone on a forum relating to our favourite singer, and we ended up dating for a year over Skype, video calls for almost every day for a year. It was really good, and I spoke to her parents before we started, to put them at ease that I'm a normal person :P Then I went over to America for 6 weeks to live with them. Though 3 days in they realised I'm not attractive, so they lost interest and it turned sour. So, there's an upside, and a downside, not knowing how they'll react to you, even if they video call you for a year! But, when it's going well, it is more than worth it :)

I think guys get the 'rosier' side of online dating. I've met up with a few girls from some dating sites and they've all had creepy messages from someone at some point! I think if you take it with a pinch of salt and be prepared to block the creeps quickly, then it's all good :). Having said that, i do find it's very easy to become disconnected emotionally, because it's so inpersonal.. But i suppose that would change when you meet the right one.

Ive been on pof for a short while, n met a lovely guy im talking to, yh youll get the weird ones just ignore their messages thats what I do, you can spot them a mile away but their id some good one jusf take it with a pinch of salt:) and enjoy

I've online dated a few times and the guys I met turned out to be dicks in the end but my current boyfriend is a guy I met on a dating website and we've been together a few months now :) So it may take a while but you'll end up meeting someone nice eventually :)

TBH I don't think that is much different than tradittional dating ,when you see someone for the first tme., without knowing their background or anything else about them .

The only connection at the time is pure physical attraction . It only when you start talking to them that you find that they are desirable or not. .If not you just say a polite "goodbye" .

I have been on them with varying degrees of success for years, I met my ex on POF and we were together 2 years so yes it can work, but it is a little soul destroying, especially being a guy as it is hard to get noticed. There are normal, nice and loving guys like me out there! You just have to deal with the idiots. My adivice, try it! Just avoid Tinder! Best of luck!

mysteron wrote:

TBH I don't think that is much different than tradittional dating ,when you see someone for the first tme., without knowing their background or anything else about them .

The only connection at the time is pure physical attraction . It only when you start talking to them that you find that they are desirable or not. .If not you just say a polite "goodbye" .

100%agree!!

I met my OH on a dating site 5 years ago. Yes it is quite scary at 1st always tell someone where you are gonna go with your online date and text them to make them aware you are safe

Happy dating x

It works both ways..I was on pof and I got a lot of weird women messaging me .. Some I swear used to be men ....

but I met a few ..dated one fr a while and one other is now a best friend and we catch. Up regularly even though we are now both with others..

if you don't try then I guess you'll never know,but for some who work crazy hours they can be the easiest way to meet someone new.

Online dating can be a bit daunting, and you do get message by your fair share of lunatics, but it is a great way to meet people and get to know a bit about them in a relatively safe environment.

I met my OH online, and after a month of chatting back and forth and realising we were both checking back every hour or so to see if the other had responded, we agreed to meet up in a public place for a little date to see if we clicked the same way in person. It's safe to say yes, we certainly did.

The trick is to take everything with a pinch of salt, ignore the maniacs (unfortuntely women do get bombared with filthy messages and hook up requests - my OH showed me some she'd snapped) and take it slow. All the usual stuff, no giving out personal info and make the first meet in a public place.

Speaking as a guy who lost his confidence years ago and works silly hours, online dating helped me to find a partner with whom I really connect, someone who feels the same way and shares so much in common.

Online theres no embarrassment about rejection or building up courage, just read their profile and send a message if they sound like your type.

All I can say is give it a try. It does feel odd when you first start, but it also works.

BusyBee76 wrote:

Anyone had any experience with online dating, good or bad, I'm very wary of it, you hear some dodgy stories but are there really that many weirdos out there? I'm newly single and don't know where, or even, if I should go there

Heya! I actually met my fiance on tinder.

I was there mainly to find friends and good conversation, but i liked him... After a few years of seeing him out and about I'd actually been trying to find him.

so we did talk, then go out, and now we're happy together! BUT, i do agree that this is rare, and we're also really lucky to have found each other like that... Everyone has their own experiences and oppinions, but all I'd say is go for iy if you'd like! but remember to be wary sometimes ;)

I met my partner online, not on a dating site but through social media. It took me a couple of years of just being friends before I felt comfortable meeting him, but once I did, I fell in love with him. Be cautious, but don't rule it out!

I'm going to be a bridesmaid next year for a couple who met on POF. And both had dated a few others beforehand.

My sister has some horror stories from her time on there tho including one where a date went to the loo mid date and didn't come back, only to text her later that night asking to go dogging!!

I have met a few.

1. Met on a 'sex site' initially wanted to meet him as a friend, ended up having a relationship on/off for about 2 years, went on holiday together and just argued so didn't end well, haven't seen him for 2 years but still text now. Feel like somethings still there so will see what happens in future he is a good person and I do miss him but don't know if he feels the same.

2. Briefly made a pof account and met this guy as a friend went for drinks one night and couldn't remember half of it then went out once after didn't rly feel anything so don't rly talk now.

3. Met off another dating/chat app and was ok at first although he was pushing for a relationships straight away and was quite clingy. Plus keeps meeting up with this girl who he met off pof years ago but didn't work out so see each other as friends which I found weird plus he wasn't sympathetic when my grandad passed away, unlike guy 1 who was supportive. Plus he's made 2 accounts on dating apps since which is quite immature lol.

So overall I think it does work but have to be careful because there's some weirdos online too!

I personally recommend tinder, it's not just for casual things. I have a fair few friends who are now in good stable relationships from it. It's good because it's a bit of a game and a lot of fun to go through people's accounts!

I have met a fair few people from tinder, never wanted anything more than casual but they potentially could have been. You do get a few creeps but easily spotted, if they have odd photos or they will try and make some creepy conversation, but easily blockable :)